Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am going to introduce myself lol. My name is Scott and right now I am stationed in Iraq Since I have been here I have saved up so $$$$. I never really new anything about the 350z before I came here. But I have read some magazines and played some video games LOL. And i have fallen in love with this **** car. I know I am going to buy one when I get home. A used 03 or 04. I am going to do some mods to it. first thing I want is speed. lol I want some kind of FI. I have looked at some twin tubos and single turbos. I don't know much about them. just the basics. What do you guys think would be the way to go. Single or Twin. I am leaning towards twin. What are some pros and cons of the two. I was leaning towards the GReddy because it is more afordable then the JWT and PE and from what i have read you need alot more internal upgrades with these ones.

Sorry if I don't respond right away. It is because I am out doing the army thing and sometimes I don't get on the computer all the time. Thanks. guys

Scott

PS. This site is the best one I found there is soooooo much info on here. I can suck up the info all day long. :)

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Welcome to the site. You guys rock for what your doing over there. My cousin got back last year, he's a recon marine. It all depends on what you want out of the car. You will still have to buy some stuff for the greddy to get it to run safe on stock internals. I would go with one of the ST like the turbonetics or the APS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much what I am looking for is a pretty sweet everyday driver. Looks and speed. Not looking to do to many internals till later. I would like to do this myself just so I can learn. Is this recommended. I have heard alot about tuning. What exactly is involved in that process. I am a super newb lol. But I am prepared to make the dive. :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in Northern MN by duluth. There is only one shop in duluth that I know of that does this kind of stuff. I have never seen a 350z in duluth, nor has any of my friends. I think that I am going to have to take it to someone down in the twin cities. I have done a ton of reading on turbos. I read that link that toy sent me. That was really confusing up till about the middle lol.

What I am taking from this is there is other parts that are needed to make these things work. After all the reaserch I leaning towards a GReddy TT. The thing is after reading I am kinda scared to do this now because of my lack of knowledge and experience. another factor of my hesitation is lack of shops in my area. I have got a couple of questions.

1. What kinda things do I look for in a shop that does after market parts?

2. What cost am I looking for to get this turbo installed in my car including all the extra fuel stuff?

Man this is really crazy. I never knew there was sooooooo much to this. When I was researching turbos I did not know that you needed all this ****. Thank god I found this website to straighten my ass out. I would bought something and screwed everything up. Thanks again guys
Scott

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
If you go with the Greddy TT, you will need about $1k in extra parts to make it run safe. This still puts it below the other TT kits.

I would definitely suggest taking your Z to a shop that works on Z's. I have been on these forums for about 3 years and I have seen so many engines get blown its not even funny. 95+% are blown becuase of poor installs/tuning.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I would definitely suggest taking your Z to a shop that works on Z's. I have been on these forums for about 3 years and I have seen so many engines get blown its not even funny. 95+% are blown becuase of poor installs/tuning.
+1

you have to be very carefull

and yes i would get a TT and to be more specific an APS TT

·
Registered
728 Posts
Pretty much what I am looking for is a pretty sweet everyday driver. Looks and speed. Not looking to do to many internals till later. I would like to do this myself just so I can learn. Is this recommended. I have heard alot about tuning. What exactly is involved in that process. I am a super newb lol. But I am prepared to make the dive. :)

if this is your goal and you are a 'super newb" this is my suggestion.

Get your car when you come back
Come down to the cities and check out my car - I live in Woodbury - with an APS TT kit on it
Then, call GRD, order an APS ST or TT and take your car down there to have it installed and tuned.

Being a newb and looking for a 'sweet everyday driver' doesn't seem to me that a greddy kit is for you. APS is so much more refined and complete than the greddy is. If you're an experienced tuner and can easily troubleshoot and fix, then by all means the greddy may be the kit for you, but from you posts, it doesn't sound like it. IMO, removing the front impact beam on my brand new car is reason enough to stay away from the greddy.

If you decide on a single turbo, the turbonetics kit is very nice and one to consider in addition to the APS ST.

IMO if you want TT, APS is your best choice. If you choose a single turbo, either the TN or APS kit will fit your needs.

I am not an APS fanboy, but when it comes down to it, you cannot beat the product that APS puts out.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey ziv I will make note of that:) :cheers: I am coming back in a couple months. I checked out your 350. Looks pretty sweet. How much did that APS run you with the install. I was hoping to find someone in the cities that new of some places to do installs. That is soooo sweet. I am pumped to get this car. I only have about 64 days till I leave this **** hole. Jan is the month. Then it is time to party like a rockstar. :irock: :cheers:

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey ziv I will make note of that:) :cheers: I am coming back in a couple months. I checked out your 350. Looks pretty sweet. How much did that APS run you with the install. I was hoping to find someone in the cities that new of some places to do installs. That is soooo sweet. I am pumped to get this car. I only have about 64 days till I leave this **** hole. Jan is the month. Then it is time to party like a rockstar. :irock: :cheers:

With install and tune - which must be done at GRD which is the closest unichip tuner, or another unichip tuner - you are probably looking at $10K-$11K + recommended goodies. I would get gauges - wideband, oil temp, boost, maybe fuel pressure - a koyo radiator, and new clutch during the install.

contrast this with the single turbo witch would be about $7K-$8K installed and tuned + goodies.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
**** :OMG: 10G'S OOOOHHH Boy. that is a pretty penny. ok can you exploain the list please lol. the way it is looking I am going to have to walk in there with like 15'gs in my pocket. I don't have that much lol. That wil take a while to save up to that point. I mean can I have some of these installed later so I can get this TT sooner. Or is all that suff a must for this. I mean I reaed that this thing is going to be pushing 420hp at 9psi. It says below that it runs at 8psi. How much Hp is that going to be pushing. Sounds like a alot of hp to be pushing on the stock internals. or am i just worried lol.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
that is a pretty penny
penny?????

LOL

It says below that it runs at 8psi. How much Hp is that going to be pushing. Sounds like a alot of hp to be pushing on the stock internals. or am i just worried lol.
from what i have known that the APS will run you a good 400whp @ 8psi out of the box
even though the APS site says @ 9psi.....i dont think so

·
Registered
728 Posts
**** :OMG: 10G'S OOOOHHH Boy. that is a pretty penny. ok can you exploain the list please lol. the way it is looking I am going to have to walk in there with like 15'gs in my pocket. I don't have that much lol. That wil take a while to save up to that point. I mean can I have some of these installed later so I can get this TT sooner. Or is all that suff a must for this. I mean I reaed that this thing is going to be pushing 420hp at 9psi. It says below that it runs at 8psi. How much Hp is that going to be pushing. Sounds like a alot of hp to be pushing on the stock internals. or am i just worried lol.

Starting with a completely stock car these are my suggestions for a decent TT setup on stock internals:

APS TT = $7500
APS 2.5" dual exhaust = $1290
APS Test Pipes = $200
APS Plenum and Strut Bar = $650 (plenum is about $450 + $200 for the strut bar - maybe cheaper though)
Koyo Radiator = $400
Gauges -
- Wideband = $400
- other gauges range from about 150-700 bucks depending on which you choose
- Gauge pod = $60
Clutch/flywheel = $900-$2000 depending on which you choose
Install and Tune of everything above = about $3000-3500 bucks

With the parts listed above and a tune to about 8-9 psi, 420-450 rwhp is about where I would guess you to be. I would suggest doing everything at once for the following reasons:
1.) GRD is in naperville IL and they are the closest aps dealer and unichip tuner - about 450 miles from the twin cities
2.) If you just go with the kit and then add things like the exhaust, test pipes, or plenum, you would need a retune - revert back to reason # 1.

You don't have to get everything listed above, but if you are spending the money on a TT, do it right and get the things that really make it a complete setup.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
This is a great thread, especially for me! I like that list you got going, Aaron! :clap:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
there are alot of hidden costs that should be made more visible.. you are not walking out the door with a 4500 $ single turbo and thats it.. gauges, install, tuning, proper engine management, fuel system.. it really starts to grow

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
there are alot of hidden costs that should be made more visible.. you are not walking out the door with a 4500 $ single turbo and thats it.. gauges, install, tuning, proper engine management, fuel system.. it really starts to grow
I'm betting that's where the tuners make their real money.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good shops are not going to have hidden charges. They will lay out a plan in writing and with lots of detail. Good shops will ask the customer about 10 questions before selling them an FI kit....and usually they are very happy in the end. If someone isnt straight forward with you, then find another company to deal with.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Good shops are not going to have hidden charges. They will lay out a plan in writing and with lots of detail. Good shops will ask the customer about 10 questions before selling them an FI kit....and usually they are very happy in the end. If someone isnt straight forward with you, then find another company to deal with.
I didnt mean it like that.. what I meant was most people do not realize you cannot simply buy a kit and go. There are alot of additional pieces required to keep things running safe.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
It all depends on price range, driving conditions, and your power goals.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts