Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
So I have a wider gear selection when I track the vehicle. And because I like shorter gears. 4th and 5th will be more useable to me. As well as 2nd on tighter courses.

Also because I spend little time in 1st gear. I'd rather shift and have a wider selection of gearing. And I don't need to go faster than 165mph anyway.

Again, I believe it's personal preference. I believe the gearing is a bit too wide. Modifying the final drive is easier than me putting a closer ratio 6 spd in the car.

Just my opinion, as always. :cheers:

<edit for easier reading>

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
As he says it is personal preference, and mainly what the intended use of the car is going to be. For a 1/4 mile type the longer gears are probably preferred to try and reduce traction problems down low plus reduce shifting during the run, while for the road course the shorter gears are probably the best choice specially on a tight course with many corners.

·
Registered
728 Posts
So I have a wider gear selection when I track the vehicle. And because I like shorter gears. 4th and 5th will be more useable to me. As well as 2nd on tighter courses.

Also because I spend little time in 1st gear. I'd rather shift and have a wider selection of gearing. And I don't need to go faster than 165mph anyway.

Again, I believe it's personal preference. I believe the gears ratio as they are to be a bit too wide. Modifying the final drive is easier than me putting a closer ratio 6 spd in the car.

Just my opinion, as always. :cheers:

I totally understand your reasoning. On my setup, I fly through my first three gears so fast, it barely seems feesable to shorten them up any more.

On a n/a Z, and even on a SC Z, the 3.9 would kick ass. IMO, unless your car was 100% road course track car, I think you would regret it on a TT setup.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I would agree with Sharif.

You might also want to consider a LSD and/or new clutch.

Definitely exhaust upgrades and gauges first, though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
well I prettymuch pimmed down what I am buying after I get my car. I am going to get APS 2.5 exhaust. test pipes. and a clutch but not quit sure what brand yet. Leaning on the JWT right now but I will check into it further when I get home. I am at BIAP (Bagdhad International Airport) and its not like you guys think either. Its another army base. But I have to go I will talk to you guys later on my next ime on the net.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts