Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
you should be fine running it without any other mods. I would buy exhaust/test pipes before a radiator.

IM me at
azivman3 on either yahoo or aol and we can chat

·
Registered
728 Posts
It's a personal preference. I like closer ratio and shorter gears with FI.

However the current trend of late is to say it's not a good match because everyone else is saying it. lol

the only thing you are losing with 3.9 and FI is top end speed (160mph+) and less gearing to load the turbo up faster.

People want to say it's "bad" because they have no traction. But it has nothing to do with the FD, and everything to do with not having the proper lsd or tires. Or the ability to threshold accelerate.
You will ABSOLUTELY NOT WANT 3.9 final gear ratio

·
Registered
728 Posts
after the turbo in this order:
Gauges -Defi
Exhuast
wheel and tires get-get em wide too
then other stuff

Scott- get off these forums quick and send me an IM -

·
Registered
728 Posts
Scott and I are in communication about his build. I'll get him all squared away once he gets back home.

·
Registered
728 Posts
^ best advice. Decide for yourself. :)

please explain why you want even shorter gears paired with FI than the Z already has?

·
Registered
728 Posts
So I have a wider gear selection when I track the vehicle. And because I like shorter gears. 4th and 5th will be more useable to me. As well as 2nd on tighter courses.

Also because I spend little time in 1st gear. I'd rather shift and have a wider selection of gearing. And I don't need to go faster than 165mph anyway.

Again, I believe it's personal preference. I believe the gears ratio as they are to be a bit too wide. Modifying the final drive is easier than me putting a closer ratio 6 spd in the car.

Just my opinion, as always. :cheers:

I totally understand your reasoning. On my setup, I fly through my first three gears so fast, it barely seems feesable to shorten them up any more.

On a n/a Z, and even on a SC Z, the 3.9 would kick ass. IMO, unless your car was 100% road course track car, I think you would regret it on a TT setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts