Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
They told me something like it is not allowing it to properly go into over drive(6th) they say, i think their just bs'n me. But thats besides the point though cause it wasnt doing that before and nowhere on the car does it say that you cant go from 4th to 6th. And now on the way home from the dealership i can start to hear it and feel it grinding from 5th to 6th. Im just really hoping that I dont have to deal with this once im out of warranty otherwise the Z is going bye bye. Ill go buy another 240.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Im really getting tired of this problem. First time 2nd gear was grinding really bad, now 2nd tranny will only go into 6th if you double clutch.
On my 03 I don't have to double-clutch to get into 6th, but I do have to "pause" for like 1-2 seconds going from 5th to 6th. It goes in fine after the delay but I can't slam it in quickly. Is that kinda like what you experienced?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
They told me something like it is not allowing it to properly go into over drive(6th) they say, i think their just bs'n me. But thats besides the point though cause it wasnt doing that before and nowhere on the car does it say that you cant go from 4th to 6th. And now on the way home from the dealership i can start to hear it and feel it grinding from 5th to 6th. Im just really hoping that I dont have to deal with this once im out of warranty otherwise the Z is going bye bye. Ill go buy another 240.
I don't drive a Z but I've driven many manual cars and have never had a problem skipping a gear, up or down for that matter. To tell you the reason is because you skipped fifth gear when upshifting sounds crazy. Hopefully you'll find a dealer that will actually try and help you as the customer rather than keep telling you all the things it can't do for you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I remember reading some posts about the shift plate not being right after tranny swaps, and simple instructions on how to fix it (it's just a plate that guides the shifter). If it wasn't adjusted right, it made it hard to shift into 5th or 6th, or from 5th to 6th, or something like that. If you can't find this, let me know and I'll dig it up. It was either here or on my350z.com.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks for all the input guys. I think im gonna try another dealer tomorrow and see if i can get a better response. Hopefully NNA can take care of it otherwise im insome trouble...

·
Registered
655 Posts
Totally call around. When I was in OR there was one great dealer that gave me no hassles for anything. Keep calling dealers until you you get one that seems to be on your side.

·
Registered
316 Posts
the dealer will twist anything they can get out of you, so it works to their advantage. I go from 4th to 6th all the time because its less work and still shifts smooth. (prbably better than 5th to 6th) I have yet to grind into 6th coming out fo 4th. If its good for the car or not, its not going to wreck the transmission after 32k. Nothing on the car should go wrong at that point except some belts and a battery. Good luck partner, sucks to hear the bad news on the '03.

·
Registered
556 Posts
mine sucks at 1st to 2nd.
Also I have another problem,
when backing up on a moderately inclined hill, up about 2k to 3k rpm the car seems
to make this weird whinning noise and the car does not back up properly,
like the gear is not in place or something, then the smell of a burnt clutch.....
btw, I was backing up up hill but by just backing up on a flat road everything seems to be fine.
Anybody know what could cause this??

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jp, did you ever find the culprit of this problem. I have a cd009 in my Z and I’ve been having similar problems, 5th gear pop out on decel. Plus the car is making a noise when I let the clutch out in reverse (see link)…I think both problems are related and want them fixed. My trans is out of a G35 with 60k miles and was filled correctly.

no, it doesnt stay in gear. sometimes it will pop out of 5th.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts