Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry to re-post recalls but i wanted to know if there was a recall for the transmission on th 03 350 and if so could someone direct me to a link, thanks

·
Registered
451 Posts
sorry to re-post recalls but i wanted to know if there was a recall for the transmission on th 03 350 and if so could someone direct me to a link, thanks
There isn't a formal TSB or recall on it, but there is a well-known problem among many early 350Z's manual transmissions. What symptoms are you experiencing?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There isn't a formal TSB or recall on it, but there is a well-known problem among many early 350Z's manual transmissions. What symptoms are you experiencing?
its real jumpy backing up and taking off making a rattling noise, i already replaced the clutch and flywheel and its not chatter, it also throws out fifth gear sometimes

·
Registered
179 Posts
its real jumpy backing up and taking off making a rattling noise, i already replaced the clutch and flywheel and its not chatter, it also throws out fifth gear sometimes

There was no formal recall or TSB on the 03 trannys even though Nissan is aware of them being problematic. Everybody has been swaping their trannys with the 009 model (newer) under thier factory powertrain warranty. If you are past the warranty then you have to pay out of pocket from here on out. Could you explain more about throwing out 5th? Are you saying that it doesn't stay in gear? Is it hard to shift from one gear to the next?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There was no formal recall or TSB on the 03 trannys even though Nissan is aware of them being problematic. Everybody has been swaping their trannys with the 009 model (newer) under thier factory powertrain warranty. If you are past the warranty then you have to pay out of pocket from here on out. Could you explain more about throwing out 5th? Are you saying that it doesn't stay in gear? Is it hard to shift from one gear to the next?
no, it doesnt stay in gear. sometimes it will pop out of 5th.

·
Registered
179 Posts
no, it doesnt stay in gear. sometimes it will pop out of 5th.

Sounds like you may have a problem with your shift linkage. How many miles are on the car? Why was the clutch replaced? Either way you have to to drop that tranny again to resolve your issue.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds like you may have a problem with your shift linkage. How many miles are on the car? Why was the clutch replaced? Either way you have to to drop that tranny again to resolve your issue.
it has 47k and i bought it used, the clutch was going out bout 2 months after i got it, u think the warrenty will cover that?

·
Registered
179 Posts
it has 47k and i bought it used, the clutch was going out bout 2 months after i got it, u think the warrenty will cover that?

The Nissan New Vehicle Limited Warranty's coverage is 36 months/36,000 miles. Powertrain coverage is 5 years/60,000 miles. This will fall under powertrain. If it is any part of the transmission it should be covered. Now wearable parts such as the clutch are not unless the work was done at a Nissan dealership and your parts are OEM. The only way they will not warranty this is if they have proof that the condition was caused by abuse. If they claim such ask for the proof. If they still won't go to another dealership.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I had the same issue on the 5th gear popping out, but that is after installed my fidanza flywheel and act clutch kit. And then after getting fustrated I bought a fidanza short shifter. WHICH I DON"T RECOMMEND CAUSE GETTING INTO REVERSE SUCKED MAJOR DONKEY ASS!! But after i got pissed with the short shifter and said screw it and reinstalled my factory. I notice one. It was much easier to shift and that it wasn't popping out of 5th.. And I figured it was just a positing issue. Don't know if that helps.. just sharing my experience.. Which is funny also that we are talking about transmission cause right now my issue lately is that going into 5th while getting on it it grinds into 5th. Then at times, not always, at parking and then going into reverse it make a weird noise. LIke a rattle. But I keep thinking it just that it's related to the clutch setup.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I had the same issue on the 5th gear popping out, but that is after installed my fidanza flywheel and act clutch kit. And then after getting fustrated I bought a fidanza short shifter. WHICH I DON"T RECOMMEND CAUSE GETTING INTO REVERSE SUCKED MAJOR DONKEY ASS!! But after i got pissed with the short shifter and said screw it and reinstalled my factory. I notice one. It was much easier to shift and that it wasn't popping out of 5th.. And I figured it was just a positing issue. Don't know if that helps.. just sharing my experience.. Which is funny also that we are talking about transmission cause right now my issue lately is that going into 5th while getting on it it grinds into 5th. Then at times, not always, at parking and then going into reverse it make a weird noise. LIke a rattle. But I keep thinking it just that it's related to the clutch setup.

Your problem does sound like a combination of your aftermarket parts. If the shifter angle is wrong then the shift linkage will not translate your movements properly to the trannys as you select each gear. Sounds like you are getting caught in between shifts even though you are fully cocked into each gate position. That is why you were popping. Your grinding may be a result of you driving the car with the previous problem with the shifter. You could try your powertrain warranty also but you may have a battle on your hands with the dealership.

·
Registered
179 Posts
thanks for all the help, i will take it in today and see what happens

No problems, good luck to you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Will nissan automatically replace the tranny with the newer updated model? My Z is at nissan right now for tranny #3 and ive got 32k on it. Im really getting tired of this problem. First time 2nd gear was grinding really bad, now 2nd tranny will only go into 6th if you double clutch. So hopefully Ill be getting another trans out of it. Let me know about the newer trans. I would like to bring this up with nissan. Thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Will nissan automatically replace the tranny with the newer updated model? My Z is at nissan right now for tranny #3 and ive got 32k on it. Im really getting tired of this problem. First time 2nd gear was grinding really bad, now 2nd tranny will only go into 6th if you double clutch. So hopefully Ill be getting another trans out of it. Let me know about the newer trans. I would like to bring this up with nissan. Thanks

Just ask and/or request the 009 tranny. The problem is that most of the replacement trannys are not brand new. It's really not the dealership's fault because their mechanics are not even allowed to crack the tranny open during a warranty replacement. The "new" trannys are shipped to the dealership after a warranty request and most of them are refurbished. The 009 tranny however is the newer revised trannys. That at least is better than nothing. Now I am not sure about this but from my understanding most dealerships now will automatically give you the 009.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok, so i just got off the phone with the dealership, and they are saying that I shouldnt be going from 4th to 6th anyway(which is when it grinds) so they told me that there is nothing they can do. So I just called nissan north america to file a claim(again) to get the dam thing warrantied again and they will be contacting me with a solution either Thursday or Friday. I think that you should never have to go through this crap with a car like the Z and with only 30k on it. I have been loyal to Nissan with the past 6 nissans ive owned and I have never had as many problems as I have with the Z. Now i love the car and yea i will never get rid of it but something has to be done about their customer service/satisfaction and warranty procedures. Please tell me some of you go from 4th to 6th when ur cruising or accelerating? Either way, it never grinded when i would do the same thing with the old trans. so I need them to something about this asap!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok, so i just got off the phone with the dealership, and they are saying that I shouldnt be going from 4th to 6th anyway(which is when it grinds) so they told me that there is nothing they can do. So I just called nissan north america to file a claim(again) to get the dam thing warrantied again and they will be contacting me with a solution either Thursday or Friday. I think that you should never have to go through this crap with a car like the Z and with only 30k on it. I have been loyal to Nissan with the past 6 nissans ive owned and I have never had as many problems as I have with the Z. Now i love the car and yea i will never get rid of it but something has to be done about their customer service/satisfaction and warranty procedures. Please tell me some of you go from 4th to 6th when ur cruising or accelerating? Either way, it never grinded when i would do the same thing with the old trans. so I need them to something about this asap!

Get in line man. I know many Z owners on their 2nd and 3rd tranny. What was the justification that the dealership denied your claim? Abuse? Going from 4th to 6th is not considered abuse. If they say it is they have to prove it. What a lot of Z owners end up doing is jumping from on dealership to another when they get shot down. I don't know how the process works after you make a claim with NNA. From my understanding, and I may be wrong, once NNA makes a decision against you are flagged as denied at all dealerships.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts