Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I thought i would update....

i have a friend who tried red line and felt notchy in the tranny and it had sticky shifts....so you folks may want to stay away from that....

on another note...when i hit 30k i used walmart's super-tech gear oil in the trans and the diff ever since.....heck...at 3 bucks a bottle!....18 bucks plus tax!

i have over 90k miles and have ZERO problems!!!!!

Don't waste you're money on fluids....with the money i saved i took myself and my daughter to Red Robin for dinner tonight!

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL!!! I was just thinking the same thng Danimal...I'm doing a clutch/flywheel swap tomorrow and I figured while I'm under there I might as well change the oil! I saw the GL-4 specific bottle at Wal-Mart and I think I'll be using that. I dunno, any more than $5 a quart for GEAR OIL seems like you're paying for a name...not oil. Sure, a good reputation deserves something, but not $60 to change the tranny lube :/

Just my opinon.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Another update on this.

Redline now make MT85, which is the exact weight oil for the 350z, still a GL4 rated product.
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=140&pcid=7

I'm interested in what some of you are saying about the Redline (etc) Vs the cheaper no names or Valvoline, what are you experiences these days?

Also, Did any of you ever experience difficulties shifting into first (1st) gear when cold? did any of this improve after changing the oil?

Thanks.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have been using ;

Manual Transmission,FS6R31A (6-SPD)......GL-4 [2]
Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube (75W-90) API GL-4 (MTGQT)

from AMSOIL for years now. I would highly reccomend it. As many of you have stated, I also noticed improved shifting aswell as increased mpg. Ive put a good 30 k miles on it since then. I'm going to be changing out my oil soon, just because.

·
Registered
1 Posts
automatic transmission service

Hello all this is my first post.
I have a 04 350z convertable and i need to get a automatic xmsn service. Ok since i cannot do it my self sealed system. So off to the dealer. Why do some dealers say drain and fill only and some say flush only. and what type of fluid S or J thanks rich.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Drain and fill is less oil and just changes it, but leaves a lot of oil, several quarts in most cases, still between all the clutch packs. Flush is drain, fill, drain fill and maybe another cycle, to get it all cleaned out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just changed my transmission oil and diff oil. The diff oil stunk real bad and there was a build up of grey paste. The transmission oil looked dark golden and didn't have a smell, however when refilling I almost put a gallon in. Just over 3/4 of a gallon went into the tranny and it still wasn't overflowing like I have seen people say. It wasn't leaking anywhere either. So I stopped short of throwing the whole gallon into the tranny and I guess it's ok. Anyone got any advice?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just changed my transmission oil and diff oil. The diff oil stunk real bad and there was a build up of grey paste. The transmission oil looked dark golden and didn't have a smell, however when refilling I almost put a gallon in. Just over 3/4 of a gallon went into the tranny and it still wasn't overflowing like I have seen people say. It wasn't leaking anywhere either. So I stopped short of throwing the whole gallon into the tranny and I guess it's ok. Anyone got any advice?
If it has a fill over-flow hole and the car is level, then you fill it until it comes out the fill hole, that's what it's there for.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts