Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm in the garage and the clutch out, the tranny makes a loud rattle. Push it in and it goes away. If I turn off the engine with the clutch out, it sounds like a clunker turning off. Took it into Nissan and they replaced the TO bearing. Picked it up and it makes the same noise. Service Advisor pulled in a brand new 05 and it makes the same noise.

Didn't really bother me until I left the car idling and ran inside and when I came outside, the car sounded terrible with all the rattles. At first I thought it maybe an exhaust shield but it sounds more internal on the tranny.

Anyone have a fix for this?

TIA,
Kevin
Atlanta :cheers:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
i dont think you have a tranny rattle, you have something that can be more serious. If i were you, dont drive the car, untill this clanking cranking sound is fixed.
open the hood check around the belts see if anything is loose

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
It's normal.

Or at least that is what I read and heard.

Sounds like a cement truck. Push the clutch in and it goes away.

noisy through out bearing? just normal from what I've gathered. Mine has done it since 21 miles. Roadsters at the shop were doing this too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"i dont think you have a tranny rattle, you have something that can be more serious"

Why would you think it is not a tranny rattle? What else would cause the rattle to go away when I disengage the clutch? It is definately the tranny. I've had many manual tranny's and a low mechanical noise is normal, but this is not a low mechanical noise. I've had metal covers vibrate and make noise but this is definately in the tranny.

It's not a belt or pulley since the noise slows and stops when I put the clutch in. I immediately thought the TO bearing was going bad so Nissan replaced but it didn't make any difference. It's a 2004.5 which I thought had the tranny issues corrected. But like I said, the SA brough a brand new '05 into the service bay and it made the same noise.

Next oil change I'm going to have them check into it. I hesitate in having dealers do anything because it always has another issue after they "f" with it.

"It's normal." -thats what I heard all the time with my Lotus. It's a going joke of "they all do that sir"

Thanks,
Kevin
Atlanta

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
"Didn't really bother me until I left the car idling and ran inside and when I came outside, the car sounded terrible with all the rattles. "

my friend had the same issue with his G35, it turned out that the pullyes and belts were all loose

1 - 8 of 8 Posts