Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.
This is my 1st post.

I just recently bought a used 350z (I love it!) and I want to take care of the rust/chipped paint issue.

IMAG0092.jpg

IMAG0093.jpg

I was thinking about buying a touch up paint at a dealer and just cover it up.

I don't need to make it like brand new. I just want to cover up the black and the rust portion of the vehicles.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Your front bumper could use a respray. However, since it sounds like you don't want to spend that kind of money, then you should touch it up but I would go to an auto paint supply store and see if you can get a kit to really fix that more permanently.

As for the side and rust, you could find someone who does paintless dent removal to pull that out. Personally, I'd take it to a body shop to get an estimate.

Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

You're right, I don't want to spend more than $50 on this project.

So, is it ok to just buy the oem nissan touch up paint and apply it?

I mean it's gatta look better than how it is now, right?

after doing this, is it going to fade away when washing cars, rain, etc.?

thanks

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That huge spot up front needs more than touch up paint. It's too bad they don't make a spray paint. As for the rust spot, you can't put touch up paint on that. It has to be sanded down and treated, primed, then painted. That's more than $50.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You can get touch up paint in spray cans from PaintScratch Touch Up Paint, Spray Cans, Paint Pen. Most automobile paint stores can mix up touch up paint and put it in a spray can for you as well. However, I would recommend having a body shop take care of these problems. I realize it will cost more money, but the results will be we well worth it.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'd agree with the above post that the overall result wouldn't be good. Without a proper process the paint won't stick and will chip away (on the rust and also on the front bumper which will need some prep work). IMO you would be better off saving the $50 you want to spend and fixing these professionally down the track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
your best bet is to go to a body shop or mobile paint repair service - depending on your insurance, you might be able to get it fixed for a $50 deductible, but I doubt it since most body work deductibles are much higher.

If it must stay under the $50 mark, I would just go for a DIY project. It won't be perfect but it will probably look better than it does now. If it's your first time, here are some instructions.

Let us know what you decide to do and I'm interested in seeing the result.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:welcome: to the new members and thanks for the tips!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts