Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if any of you have seen this but, I cant believe this guy said this stuff!!

Jeremy Clarkson said this about the 350Z in the Top gear video:

part of the reason nissans Z cars came so fat and so heavy is cause they were designed for the american market and the american car is as you know an enormous sofa. this one wasn't just designed for the americans, it was designed by the americans. to be honest it looks a bit of a mess. but it would cause its a *** car designed in america and the head of a project was an indian and the engine is french. we have had fusion food before, but its the first fusion car. Think of it as being a raw hamburger curry served in a disinterested way in a bed of garlic ajuis. If your the sort of person that likes to cruise the stsreet annoying everyone with the stereo this car is for you.
it doesnt take very long to work out that this car has many weak links and the weakest link of all is the engine. first there is the noise and its just a noise and annoying drone and it gets on yoru nerves. Then there is the perfomance. they say it will do 0 to 60 in six seconds ...but it never feels that fast. when you look at the 350Z you expect it to be light, sporty and agile, but its not. I was expecting it to be like a mx-5 fun...but its not. not even a little.

What it is is a ton and a half of iron mongry. its just a muscle car and muscle cars should be fun but its not. The noise is driving me mad. The hard ride and the effort it takes to drive this car makes it one of the most exhausting cars I have ever come across. The look of the interior is fine, but what is not so good is this (showing the flimpsy build quality) I've seen better build quality in an allotment share. There no practicality. The 350 is a 3 out of 10, it could do better."

CLICK HERE

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
You know what is even better? Top Gear gave the 350z "car of the year", yet they bashed it in every way in this video.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Notice how Clarkson establishes himself as a snob, racist, AND a pansy all in one video. SO WHAT if the designer is an Indian from England who did his work in California. How does THAT make the car inferior?

The whole time he's complaining about the exhaust note being too loud. It's A SPORTS CAR for god sake.

IMHO, I think Clarkson needs a good facial re-alignment.... or better yet, people could simply ignore his stupid baseless opinions from now on.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The link wont work for me....can you provide another one so I can see the whole test of a 350Z?

Thanks
Brane

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have the whole episode, but it's definitely too big to upload anywhere.

take what clarkson says for a grain of salt
he's negative on some of the greatest cars out there
the purpose of the show though, isnt to really give an honest and objective view and analysis on the cars..the show is more entertainment oriented. so he may not have cared that much for the car so he made fun of it. if thats the show ive seen already he also said that the car he saw wasnt the final version, and nissan told him the engine,suspension,etc would change. who knows what he drove then

fifth gear is the more serious car review program of the two. the lead reviewer is tiff needell, an ex-f1 driver. (info: http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?ln...ion=presenters)

here's what he thinks of the Z:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...1109751&pl=true

when it comes to a serious analysis, 5th gear >>> top gear. when it comes to entertainment though, top gear is what to watch..

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
take what clarkson says for a grain of salt
he's negative on some of the greatest cars out there
the purpose of the show though, isnt to really give an honest and objective view and analysis on the cars..the show is more entertainment oriented. so he may not have cared that much for the car so he made fun of it. if thats the show ive seen already he also said that the car he saw wasnt the final version, and nissan told him the engine,suspension,etc would change. who knows what he drove then

fifth gear is the more serious car review program of the two. the lead reviewer is tiff needell, an ex-f1 driver. (info: http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?ln...ion=presenters)

here's what he thinks of the Z:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2...1109751&pl=true

when it comes to a serious analysis, 5th gear >>> top gear. when it comes to entertainment though, top gear is what to watch..
I agree completely with what you said. I have several episodes of both Top Gear and Fifth Gear. Clarkson and Needell both used to be on Top Gear together until they split (at least that's what i'm assuming since i've seen them both on much older Top Gear episodes). Top Gear is alot of fun to watch and they have some amazing cars on the show, and have them do some amazing things. But when it comes down to actually reviewing the car's Fifth Gear does a much better, and more objective job. Either way both shows are great to watch for any car enthusiast. (provided you take these points into consideration)

·
Registered
120 Posts
You know, there are cars I dont like and talk crap about... evry car is going to have people that don't like it...

But i think all of us would disagree with their review because we own one and enjoy it. I test drove many cars whithin the price range that I paid for my "Z" and truly it was the best bang for the buck...

I love this "Z" Car... it really is the perfect car for me... I don't care what anyone else says...

Now, is it the best sports car??? Prolly not... but like I said earlier... for me... the "Z" is perfdect, jsut what i wanted.

·
Registered
357 Posts
exactly, btw, jeremy clarckson is the biggest dickhead (srry) i've ever seen in the automotive reviewing industry (I Guess you can call it industry right?)

he shoould go do stand-up comedy...

nah... not even that...

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
There was an Ali G interview with Paul Daniels (probably the best British magician around), and Ali asked who was better between him and David Copperfield.

Paul's reply is that they have different scenes. Paul does "comedy", David does "drama".

In the same way, Clarkson tries to be funny rather than serious. Too hard, sometimes. He is quite prejudiced in Top Gear, but I don't find it pernicious (I'm an Asian guy from Australia so I cop it for being a nationality that makes cheap cars, and being from "the colonies") so I'm not offended. For all I know, he just turns the persona on for the show.

British comedy is a lot drier and more satirical than American comedy, and the culture isn't quite as PC. Can you imagine what would happen if an American TV show drove a pickup truck into one of the rarest trees in America? They'd be off the air.

Don't forget, for all his "Yank bashing" this man wet himself over the Ford GT. He loved it so much he bought the same car twice. He (well, Hammond anyway) also loved the Corvette although they bash the leaf spring rear end. Same with the 300C, which is the most American-looking car on the international market.

I made this observation in another thread as well. The guy has so much clout that when I read CAR's (another British car magazine) review of the 350Z, its first line was. "Ah, the 350Z. The one that Clarkson hates. Driving it reminds me of why I fell in love with it so much".

In the Z's defense, he is the only reviewer that doesn't like the Z. Hammond, Tiff Needel (ex-F1 driver, ex Le Mans driver, ex JGTC driver), Jason Plato (another ex-racer, he was in BTCC for a while), Vicki Butler-Henderson (I want to marry that girl) and a whole raft of other reviewers love the car.

So, chill. Its just a car, and he's just one man. And you are more than just the country you were born in. There's no need to get so uptight about it. And, for better or worse, everyone outside the US gives the US domestic market **** about making lounges on wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont know if any of you have seen this but, I cant believe this guy said this stuff!!

Jeremy Clarkson said this about the 350Z in the Top gear video:

part of the reason nissans Z cars came so fat and so heavy is cause they were designed for the american market and the american car is as you know an enormous sofa. this one wasn't just designed for the americans, it was designed by the americans. to be honest it looks a bit of a mess. but it would cause its a *** car designed in america and the head of a project was an indian and the engine is french. we have had fusion food before, but its the first fusion car. Think of it as being a raw hamburger curry served in a disinterested way in a bed of garlic ajuis. If your the sort of person that likes to cruise the stsreet annoying everyone with the stereo this car is for you.
it doesnt take very long to work out that this car has many weak links and the weakest link of all is the engine. first there is the noise and its just a noise and annoying drone and it gets on yoru nerves. Then there is the perfomance. they say it will do 0 to 60 in six seconds ...but it never feels that fast. when you look at the 350Z you expect it to be light, sporty and agile, but its not. I was expecting it to be like a mx-5 fun...but its not. not even a little.

What it is is a ton and a half of iron mongry. its just a muscle car and muscle cars should be fun but its not. The noise is driving me mad. The hard ride and the effort it takes to drive this car makes it one of the most exhausting cars I have ever come across. The look of the interior is fine, but what is not so good is this (showing the flimpsy build quality) I've seen better build quality in an allotment share. There no practicality. The 350 is a 3 out of 10, it could do better."

CLICK HERE
To be honest, i agree with Clarkson. He drove to the US in a rush to drive the 350Z before the UK model was released. As an owner of an import 350Z i have to say he was correct on all parts to do rith the ride and the quality of the car. The UK model is vastly superior in ride and handling. I thing that clarkson must regret driving the US version as his rush in getting to drive the car resulted in him having a totally different opinion to the other critics. I have a Jap import, the ride is far too hard for UK roads, the handling isn't anywhere as good as the UK model. PS today i ordered a Brand new 350Z 2006 UK model, collection friday. can't wait.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
He's driven the UK delivered 350Z Roadster since then, and he didn't like it either.

He finds the OEM exhaust note too droney and boring (which I agree with), and he doesn't like the fit and finish...which I also agree with.

As for it not being a good drive, I think Clarkson is off his rocker. The 350Z is a quick and responsive car for its price and class, no matter where you are. Sure you could line up an Atom or Elise, but compared to the Missfire, RX-8 and Monaro / GTO the car is a lot quicker point to point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
He's driven the UK delivered 350Z Roadster since then, and he didn't like it either.

He finds the OEM exhaust note too droney and boring (which I agree with), and he doesn't like the fit and finish...which I also agree with.

As for it not being a good drive, I think Clarkson is off his rocker. The 350Z is a quick and responsive car for its price and class, no matter where you are. Sure you could line up an Atom or Elise, but compared to the Missfire, RX-8 and Monaro / GTO the car is a lot quicker point to point.

The roadster sucks compared to the Coupe lol, it's not dreadful by any stretch of the immagination but its more cruiser than sports car. It doesn't handle as well as an MX5 for instance and although it has a good V6 it has no roof to stiffen the chassis. Also i don't subscribe to the fantastic heritage of the OLD 240Z , for me that was just a datsun copying a Jaguar Etype and thats all i'll say on that. For me that car can stay in the past where it belongs. I know i'll be flamed for that comment but i bought the 350Z for the car it is now and not for the car it is a successor to. Simply put, for the moment at least, no other car for the price offers the same performance, looks, and on 2006 model, interior quality. Its now nicer than a 911 inside with sat nav and thats some statement from someone with an import 350Z that has about the worst interior of about any car ive owned. I collect my 2006 coupe on Friday this week, hope the Disable VDC still works by unplugging the Yaw sensor lol. I love that .

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
In the local rags they said that if you press the VDC button it just adjusts the yaw thresholds to something a lot higher (but keeps them on), but if you hold the button down for 5 seconds then "off means off".

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
yeah the top gear episodes are nothing but entertainment

the s2000 is another questionable clarkson piece, in one video he loves it raving about the power and high revs, in another video he is hating it calling it busy and harsh at high revs

there is no doubt he is biased towards the english cars, even though none are english owned or built anymore. The funniest was a comparo with the 300C, HSV Monaro (Pontiac GTO) and Jaguar S-Type R, and he was gushing and boasting about the Jag having the most powerful V8 of all 3........ummm could be because its the only V8 in the test supercharged. The guy's opinions are as worthless as his hair-style

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
No matter what the induction, its still more powerful. And power is power.

Just like how an RB28DETT out of the R34 Z-Tune is more powerful than the VQ35DE out of the Nismo S-Tune's, even though it has less displacement.

They still put the Monaro at the top of the tree though, if I remember correctly. The Yank engined Aussie car was still the best driver's car of the lot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, this is gong to be long-ish, as I love the Top Gear show but bear with me, there may be some valid opinions here!!

I'm from the UK (now in Australia) and loved the Top Gear show both before the split (5th gear and Top Gear) and after. Personally, having actually met JC (Clarkson) I think he's a riot.

Bear in mind that we all have opinions about things and your opinion on one thing will probably differ from the guy/girl standing/lying ;-) next to you.

The main difference is JC is on TV so his comments get heard by many more people than the rest of us. He tends to be very black and white about cars but that's ok, it's entertainment and he is expected to be like that; that's why so many people watch the show! No other car show in the world does the things that the new Top Gear does, and I love it for that - race between public transport and Aston Martin anyone? race between a Cessna and a Bugatti Veyron? The show is superb entertainment.

I agree with the people that have been saying the Top Gear is entertainment and 5th gear is a more factual based show; they both have their benefits. I went off 5th Gear a while before I left the UK as I was sick and tired of the little stabs that 5th Gear would have at Top Gear - they really should get a grip, don't they realise that by constantly beratting a rival they are showing that they are worried about it?!?!?!

Anyway, I'm getting 'off topic' - JC's review of the 350Z may have been a 'pre-release' version it was actually the US model that did NOT get released to the States, it was changed before release. The other 2 guys in the show liked the car as did the majority of viewers, so there you go, different opinions.

As for the S2K, a while back the 3 of them took a favourite roadster (S2k, Boxster and Z4 I think) to the Isle of Man (no speed limits) and tonked them around the place, JC was blown away by the S2K. I think his subsequent slating of the S2K was when the 2.2 litre version was released, but I may be wrong there.
Also, Tiff from 5th Gear didn't actually like the S2K when he summarised his test as something like, great if you can thrash it around, but not so great day to day. Mind you, it doesn't take an ex-F1 TEST driver to make that statement.

Also, on the Ford GT, he's had two because the first one he hated and slated at every opportunity due to faults with that particular one, the replacement which was what he was after is much better. Did any of you see the episode of TG where the three of them took JC's Gt, and a Zonda and F430 around Europe? That was classic Top Gear, 5th Gear would NEVER do something like that and that's another reason for the show's attraction.

Bear in mind that JC was BANNED from reviewing or publically commenting on any Vauxhall (Holden) cars for 2 years after he absolutely slated the Vectra - even though he was right *ahem*. He is known to be like that and that's part of the reason Top Gear has a larger audience than 5th Gear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OK, this is gong to be long-ish, as I love the Top Gear show but bear with me, there may be some valid opinions here!!

I'm from the UK (now in Australia) and loved the Top Gear show both before the split (5th gear and Top Gear) and after. Personally, having actually met JC (Clarkson) I think he's a riot.

Bear in mind that we all have opinions about things and your opinion on one thing will probably differ from the guy/girl standing/lying ;-) next to you.

The main difference is JC is on TV so his comments get heard by many more people than the rest of us. He tends to be very black and white about cars but that's ok, it's entertainment and he is expected to be like that; that's why so many people watch the show! No other car show in the world does the things that the new Top Gear does, and I love it for that - race between public transport and Aston Martin anyone? race between a Cessna and a Bugatti Veyron? The show is superb entertainment.

I agree with the people that have been saying the Top Gear is entertainment and 5th gear is a more factual based show; they both have their benefits. I went off 5th Gear a while before I left the UK as I was sick and tired of the little stabs that 5th Gear would have at Top Gear - they really should get a grip, don't they realise that by constantly beratting a rival they are showing that they are worried about it?!?!?!

Anyway, I'm getting 'off topic' - JC's review of the 350Z may have been a 'pre-release' version it was actually the US model that did NOT get released to the States, it was changed before release. The other 2 guys in the show liked the car as did the majority of viewers, so there you go, different opinions.

As for the S2K, a while back the 3 of them took a favourite roadster (S2k, Boxster and Z4 I think) to the Isle of Man (no speed limits) and tonked them around the place, JC was blown away by the S2K. I think his subsequent slating of the S2K was when the 2.2 litre version was released, but I may be wrong there.
Also, Tiff from 5th Gear didn't actually like the S2K when he summarised his test as something like, great if you can thrash it around, but not so great day to day. Mind you, it doesn't take an ex-F1 TEST driver to make that statement.

Also, on the Ford GT, he's had two because the first one he hated and slated at every opportunity due to faults with that particular one, the replacement which was what he was after is much better. Did any of you see the episode of TG where the three of them took JC's Gt, and a Zonda and F430 around Europe? That was classic Top Gear, 5th Gear would NEVER do something like that and that's another reason for the show's attraction.

Bear in mind that JC was BANNED from reviewing or publically commenting on any Vauxhall (Holden) cars for 2 years after he absolutely slated the Vectra - even though he was right *ahem*. He is known to be like that and that's part of the reason Top Gear has a larger audience than 5th Gear.
Yep, i met him too at MPH03 and he is a riot. i agree, Ive also me Tiff needel and to be honest ive never met anyone as boring in my entire life. Yeah he can drive and he's a show off but JC is so much more fun, just saw last nights episode, the Radio show he did was sooo funny i was in stitches. For some reasone, everybody in England loves to hate him. Me i think he's great. lol . Opinionated, yeah, well so am i hehehehe.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts