Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm glad to say that i've set myself a 'mod goal' yes a mod goal! I've set a bench mark as to what sort of performance i ultimately expect for the VQ35 once i've done my mods.

As most of you are probably already aware i've got my bosses 911 carrera 996 CAB.

I was driving it today after work taking it through its paces and asked my self what is it about this engine that makes this so much more powerful and outright better. Because it really is! The more i jump in and out of both cars the more i like the Porsche engine. It just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling, all the way to redline (and i mean all the way)

I've killed a VY SS with this car that kicked down at least 3 sec before me.

The only time the VQ35 is comparable (DavidM might back me up on this) is mid range power/torque. The only reason the Carrera is superior is the top end (5500-7000rpm). As all pre anniversary Z owners are aware thats pretty much when all the fun starts to wave bye bye. I mean it just gets flat.

Now what my question is... What is it gonna take to get the Z to pull like a train all the way to redline? Without sacrificing mid range? Not too worried about down low. Other than cam Does a plenum fix this?
TPIACE? What is it about ur engine that makes it so good up top? I've got an exhaust T'ed up in the next week or so but i know that want to nothing exciting to top end. So what is that i can do?

I think once i achieve a nice steep gradient on a dyno map that does not peak of until the rev cut says so...I think think i will be very very content with the car.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
With Sam's engine, it is the 35th spec, so it obviously has some more top end power (but less mid range power) compare to the normal track spec... it is designed to be that way...

it depends on what you want to do and what your goals are.... if you want to stay with N/A and get more power at high end, you can go down to the route that I have chosen... or easy power with FI setup and I am sure you can easily take a 997 Turbo without any problem!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TT would be nice but it still doesn't give that thrilling drive of say a N/A Carrera S or a 355. I definately want to give keep it n/a.

Richie - out of all the N/A mods you've done what has the car responded most to other than the exhaust?

What have they done to the 35th engine that made the top end so good?

·
Registered
728 Posts
TT would be nice but it still doesn't give that thrilling drive of say a N/A Carrera S or a 355. I definately want to give keep it n/a.

Richie - out of all the N/A mods you've done what has the car responded most to other than the exhaust?

Have you driven a TT Z before? I haven't driven either a n/a carrera S or a 355, but I can't imagine the pull harder than my Z.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Now what my question is... What is it gonna take to get the Z to pull like a train all the way to redline? Without sacrificing mid range? Not too worried about down low. Other than cam Does a plenum fix this?
TPIACE? What is it about ur engine that makes it so good up top? I've got an exhaust T'ed up in the next week or so but i know that want to nothing exciting to top end. So what is that i can do?

I think once i achieve a nice steep gradient on a dyno map that does not peak of until the rev cut says so...I think think i will be very very content with the car.
There is alot you could do but I think the below should be the minimum required to reach your goal.

Drop in K&N Panel Filter
Aftermarket Equal Distribution Intake Manifold (possibly 05 model)
Complete Exhaust System (headers, cats, mid, muffler etc)
Utec Tune with 7000rpm Rev Limit

This should avoid any losses allowing you to be equally competitive with the Porsche in the lower rpms but will give noticable gains everywhere else, all the way to your higher rev limit which will allow you to shift closer to the Porsche. You revs will also be higher after each shift making your car pull harder after each shift.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Have you driven a TT Z before? I haven't driven either a n/a carrera S or a 355, but I can't imagine the pull harder than my Z.
I dont think he's saying those cars pull harder than a TT Zed (im sure they dont) but that they have a driving experience he prefers. ie the NA driving experience.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
With exhaust, which seciont of exhaust are you talking about? Headers and a set of high flow cats will give you a lot of power... that's for sure... other than that... For me, it gotta be the cams and the computer... cams will definitely give you high end power and also shift your max power to higher rpm as well. And also depends on what cams you are going for, you might possibly need an ECU to tune for the A/F ratio...

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Larger Lower Plenum, Higher degree camshaft, Stronger Crankshaft and con rod, Additional Variable timing exhaust.
Wow they have done all that?!

Ok well I'll be fitting the APS true dual exhaust hopefully this week end. My next mod will be the plenum. Should i just get the MD space or 35th plenum or ket the kinetix replacement plenum?

Thanks for all the input guys, it has been a big help.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Eddie, have you been in the 35th Annv powered car? If so, does it satisfy your requirements? If not, then you shoud go for a spin in one to make sure that you've got your 'goals' straight. Also go for a spin with Richie to see what the mods that he's got will do.

Though, just theoreticaly speaking what is needed is:
- exhaust
- intake/filter
- higher lift cams
- ECU to raise the limit and make it all work together

My guess is that the above will cost you around $8k. Whether this will bring on satisfactory gains/changes I don't know.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Wow they have done all that?!

Ok well I'll be fitting the APS true dual exhaust hopefully this week end. My next mod will be the plenum. Should i just get the MD space or 35th plenum or ket the kinetix replacement plenum?
A lot of little changes which dont result in much difference, its more a marketing exercise than anything else.

Try to do as many of the mods you choose at the same time to get really noticable gains. The bigger the gain the more fun it is and the more you feel like your getting your moneys worth.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
from what ive been reading from performanceNissan and a few other Nissan tuners on my350z, the 300hp Ann. engine can be safely revved to 7500rpm with a reflash without needing to change engine internals

what id like to know is if the unichip ecu can do the same. If so, ill definitely do that before suspension

on the Ann engine ive done exhaust and intake and havent noticed much of a difference. Im looking forward to fitting the crawford cats this sat to see whether they make a difference. Im missing a chip to take advantage of the mods i think. The VQ with an exhaust sounds awesome at 7000rpm, i could only imagine how itd shriek at 7500rpm

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The Unichip currently cannot increase the rev limit.

Bare in mind that engine loads increase exponetnially as the revs increase, so increasing your revs a small amount could kill your motor quickly. So make sure you have enough data to know that rev limit is safe. Also the increased rev limit is useless unless your motor is making power up there.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Well I haven't driven a TT, but I believe DavidC when he says that his APS TT does not have any lag and just drives like a much harder NA Z.

Intake / exhaust / headers / HFC / plenum (i'd go motordyne 5/16ths spacer instead) / cams / ECU are minimum requirements to more top end power. But once you add up the costs, and include labour, you won't get change out of $10K. I'm guessing a Z modified in this way would begin to feel like a 996 911, but the 997 911S will still smoke you. So you'll then go looking for more power at greater cost.

For an additional $6K on top of the $10K, you could just go direct to TT now and smoke the 997 911S. But $16K is a lot of money to put upfront.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
The Unichip currently cannot increase the rev limit.

Bare in mind that engine loads increase exponetnially as the revs increase, so increasing your revs a small amount could kill your motor quickly. So make sure you have enough data to know that rev limit is safe. Also the increased rev limit is useless unless your motor is making power up there.
thats true, i would think 7200rpm would be a good compromise. I do think the Ann engine isnt making as much power as it could, and there is room for improvement. Perhaps a pm to Peter to see what results he got from a chipped Ann is in order

murray u seem to know ur mods, isnt there a new generation unichip on the way?

all this justification of turbo and na tuning costs, imho if all you want is huge outright power you've bought the wrong car

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.