Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work this morning and notice a semi audible tone that only lasted for a brief second while accelerating and it happened only while passing the 2k rpm mark in each of the gears going up thru 4th and after that point road noise and engine noise made it too hard to hear...It almost sounded like when you run your finger around the rim of a crystal glass...Like I said it only lasted for a brief second while going over the 2k rpm mark and was only noticable if you were accelerating moderately and paying attention...I know it may sound very strange and I promise I'm not making it up or crazy. Any Ideas to what may be causing this? This is the second time I've heard it. The first time I disregaurded it because I thought I was just hearing things

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I know my Z whines a little when I get on the throttle...not because it doesn't want to go but I believe some intakes will whine a little under throttle. I think it's from the air whistling through the intake duct. I know on my 240SX, if I took the air filter out and left the box open and push on the throttle cable, it would whine a little.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good thought, but I don't think its that? I know intakes whine, but it sounds more like a metal whine...another sound comparison I can give is when you come to a slow stop some times and its been raining, you hear the brakes howl a little as they clamp on the rotors, it kinda sounds like that too?? Maybe I am crazy? I guess I will just mention it when I go to the dealer next and then not worry about it unless it gets louder or starts to cause problems

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I get this annoying shriek noise coming from the passenger side whenever I hit 5K RPM's.

Oh wait nevermind, I forgot that was the girlfriend.

Seriously though, if it's that irregular I wouldn't worry about it. If it continues, take it to the dealership.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's the intake. Even the stock airbox sucks in a huge amt of air and makes that cool whistling noise. With the JWT, I barely tap the gas and it makes a nore noticeable whistle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts