Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
So you are going to pick and choose what part of the bible you believe and don't believe?
Why believe any at all.

Who said being aware gave God like powers?

You seem to be making a lot of assertions about people and there comments that are unfounded.
Yes, I do pick and choose what i believe from the Bible. If you follow me before, I do not believe in a God. So.. therefore, I will decide what things in the Bible i believe possibly could have happened. Such as: Did the Jews live in Egypt (yes)... did Moses part the Red Sea... (Not)

jeeez.. do i have to quote everyone from this thread when i make a point? The thread is only 3 pages.

I was referring to the points brought up in previous posts. Surf said "Why is it so hard to "believe" in god(s) you are one"... i was just saying that we really arent like gods in that sense that we dont have god-like abilities... I dont see life as Miraculous... just very very amazing.

I wasnt making assertions.. just expanding on ideas of God and exsistence.

existing at all is awesome, no? Why is it so hard to "believe" in god(s) you are one.

Experiencing anything at all is pretty cool. I'm amazed at folk who find "being" ho hum.

Being at all is miraculous. Why would a "god" be a stretch beyond the miracle of you being somewhere/anywhere?

The fact you "are" is pretty awesome there "mr/ms jaded".

good god, awareness isn't enough? jeez.

·
Premium Member
3,357 Posts
So if he wasn't in India, where WAS he? You would think the most important person in the history of Christianity would have had a more thoroughly documented life.

Instead all we have is:

Birth
A few stories of him as a kid
A few stories of him as a 30yr old
Death

I am sure there were some accounts about this time in his life written, and most likely they were burned by the early church along with tons of other documents about his teachings and his life.
Since I see no divinity in Jesus and I dont believe in God, I will speculate about the story in the Bible.

Some guy was born and was just living his life. He was probably in and around the Rabbinical world and spending time around the temple etc. One of the crowd but very knowledgable and wise.

Where was he? Living in Judea. Over time he develops these ideas after seeing the hypocrisy of the religious leaders around him... He expands on the ideals already set forth in Judaism... the law, Forgiveness through a ritual sacrifice... kindness, etc.

Once he starts to teach he needs to have a back story... so people make it up.

The early church was so unorganized and spread out there was no central authority. They argued for a long time about whether Christianity was meant for the Jews or Gentiles. They argued over whether or not Christian jews still needed to follow the old Jewish laws. They also argued over soooo many other things that are documented at the First Council of Nicaea. There wasnt much to hide. They also talked about the other books that never made it into the Bible.

If they wanted to hide things they sure missed a lot. Also, according to the story... very few disicples or people knew Jesus before they met him, so they would only know what he told them of his life before. Average people may not have noticed him before he began teaching. Most prolly didnt know of him at all during his life. It slowly grew from a cult into a world religion later.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Isn't if funny that after 2000 years the name of Jesus can still stir the worlds pot. Truth is independent from belief and /or opinion. There is a truth out there and each person must find it forthemselves. I found it in Jesus Christ. A retrospective look at my life has shown that without God in my life I was not happy and things didn't go well. With God in my life I am happy even though things don't always go well. The debate over God will never end publicly but can bring rest to a weary soul if you are willing to seek and find. I'm repeating myself... God loves every last person on the planet equally, no favorites. Because he loves us, he gave us a choice to believe or not...again, desiring relationship over religion. BTW, Hey Josh, I've noticed that you are really good at posting in the religion and politics threads. At the rate your going....you may be able to stir the pot for 2000 years too :cheers: :rolf2:

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
So if he wasn't in India, where WAS he? You would think the most important person in the history of Christianity would have had a more thoroughly documented life.

Instead all we have is:

Birth
A few stories of him as a kid
A few stories of him as a 30yr old
Death

I am sure there were some accounts about this time in his life written, and most likely they were burned by the early church along with tons of other documents about his teachings and his life.
Josh, that was the premise of another recent show on the Bible. Since the Bible was composed well after Jesus (~180AD), some head of the Christian church at the time allegedly rejected some different gospels from other disciples of Jesus such as Judas and Mary M because he didn't like the different perspective teachings it professed. The relationship to this discussion is that the teachings were very similar to those of modern day Hinduism/Buddhism. They evidently found one of these 'other' gospels and if I recall correctly, the scientist at least confirmed that it was written in the exact same time period, on the correct parchment material, and in the correct prose at the time. So essentially, they did confirm that other teachings existed during the early days but were left out due to censorship. Fascinating stuff.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts