Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yeah, I'm familiar with the Tyrerack 'surveys' ... I'm not very keen on them as IMHO they don't provide any usefull info. This survey is answered by regular tyre users, and we don;t know what tyres they had before and what they are comparing them to. They might think that tyre A has excellent grip compared to their old 'cheapo' tyre, but they've never experience tyre B which is what 'excellent' grip really is. In other words, a person cannot make a objective 1 to 10 ranking on a tyre unless they have already experiences some tyres ranked 1 as well as 10. Know what I mean?

I much prefer the 'tyre tests' that Tyrerack do ... they take a couple of competing tyres and put them through their testing program (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testingProgram.jsp). They measure a lot of good data and compare the tyres on those results as well as on their subjective feel. IMHO, that is an excellent way to compare tyres, but one still needs to keep in mind what car they are using and what size tyres. That all has an effect on the way a tyre perfroms. For instance a tyre that perofrms well on a nose-heavy and 4WD WRX might not work that well on a light, mid-engined RWD Elise. Or a tyre that works well on a heavy, and softly sprung COmmore, might not work on a light(er), stiffer and with lower-center of gravity 350Z.

Still, look them up here as they provide a lot of good info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testRe...pe=MP&x=19&y=14

·
Registered
889 Posts
DavidM,

Thanks for the heads up. I new about TireRack and their surveys but did not know about their own tests

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
BTw what is the Highly Recommended R-spec Tyres? How much? I'm thinking to get for my stock wheels.
Went to sandown and getting a Feathering on the front right tyres already.

I was quote about $600 for the front each and $650 for the rear each (michellin Pilot Used on M3 CSL tyres)

Cheers
Yun

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
If you want R-spec tyres, give Stuckey's a call. They're the official motorsport suppliers for Dunlop tyres.

The D01J's come highly recommended, especially if you have aftermarket suspension and can tune the setup for the tyres. I know a few people who drive on them and, if you can handle the intrusive road noise, they're an excellent tarmac rally tyre (which means they're perfect for track days where you might need to show up to the venue using them).

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
oh i'm just thinking on using the R-spec tyres only for the Track :p i'll just continue using my S0-3 for daily driving and my 19" ;)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
BTw what is the Highly Recommended R-spec Tyres? How much? I'm thinking to get for my stock wheels.

I use Bridgestone RE055s. They are really good on the track ... though, not sure if you'll get the best out of them unelss you able to push the car hard. I'd reccomend starting on somehting like Falken RT215 ... they don't offer anymore grip than a really good road tyre, but they have thread designed for the track and and therefore, do not suffer from the abuse. Also they are not that expensive and there's no problem with driving on the road with them if you're 'stuck' with them on the car.

If you want R-spec tyres (ie. worth about 2sec per lap), then you'll pay anything between $400 and $800 per tyre, depending on which ones and who you speak to. The ones to look at are:
- Michelin Pilot Sport Cup - very expensive, but great on the track an on the road.
- Pirelli P-zero Corsa - Again expensive, but probably not as expensive as the Michelins. And also good on the road and track.
- Toyo A888 - Good price, and good on the track (and not bad on the road).
- Toyo RA-1 - maybe even cheaper than the A888, but more road friendly while still really good on ther track. Though, this one is not as good on the track untill at least 1/3 worn.
- Dunlop DJ01 - Very much comaprable to RE55. ie. good for the track only, but probably more expensive than the Toyos
- Yokohama A032R - Again, similar to the RE55s, and DJ01 as it;s onyl good on the track, but probably cheaper than the Dunlop.
- Bridgestone RE55 - Very good on the track, horrible on road and not a bad price if you can find it. They'll be between $400 and $600 per tyre depending on how lucky you get.

If you want R-spec tyre then all of the above are great, so I'd get the one that is the cheapest and comes in the right size for you. Or I'd go for the RT215 to get used to track-days and limits of the car without the extra grip, and then move on to an R-spec tyre.

Went to sandown and getting a Feathering on the front right tyres already.

That means you were entring the corners with too much speed or getting on power too early. What camber are you running? Also what pressures were you running?

ps. More info (in a new thread) on the track day please :)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
SILVERSTONE FTZ SPORT

Which one?
1) http://www.silverstonecompetitiontyres.com/FTZsportWet.htm
2) http://www.silverstonecompetitiontyres.com/FTZtypeR.htm
3) http://www.silverstone.com.my/ty-auto/ftz.htm

I pressume you're talking about road-tyres, which would be (3). I think I've seen it in comparision against other 'low budget' tyres, and it did pretty well. Certainly not a tyre to be compared to anything like S02s, P-Zeros, ContiSport2 or PilotSports. Probably a lower grade tyre than RE040.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
I've used Silverstones before on my Pulsar, as have some friends on their cars.

I can't say anything about their competition tyres, but their street tyres are absolute crap. I have never driven on a tyre that has had as little grip as the Silverstones, and most of us got rid of the tyres before they hit the tread depth indicators.

They, along with Falken Ziex's, rate among the tyres I wouldn't even inflict on my worst enemy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Was just havin a chat with my tire guy. He recommended Hankook Ventus Sport K104's as very good value. They're goin' for about $200 each. Anyone know anything about these????

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
He recommended Hankook Ventus Sport K104's as very good value. They're goin' for about $200 each. Anyone know anything about these????

Again, a very good low budget tyre that did very well in a tyre test abianst other low-budget tyres. Though, it is a bottom of the range tyre and certainly not high-perfromance tyre. RE040 is a higher class/standard tyre.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks DavidM,
You are a wealth of information! I did a bit of searching this afternoon and only found good reports on this tyre. This tyre guy (Ensign) said he felt the K104's would outperform the 040's. It's good to get other opinions though.
I'm not lookin to spend heaps on new tyres. I was pretty satisfied with the 040's (I might be the only one) and they're only around the $250 mark.
Will have to make a decision soon. At 39,000 the fronts are just about dead. I think I will go for a slightly wider on the front to match the back.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I did a bit of searching this afternoon and only found good reports on this tyre. This tyre guy (Ensign) said he felt the K104's would outperform the 040's.

I don't have 1st hand experience with this tyre, so I'm only going by what I read about it. I do remember it because it dit pretty well in the tyre-test against other budget tyres ... they were ranking them one age grade up from the lowest price-point tyres (not counting re-treads). They did wet/dry braking, lap-times as well as posted some impressions. The K104s did well, and I have recommended them to a few people who used to buy really cheap tyres. Though, it's not a performance tyre ... I think they had another 'higher class' group of tyres in that test, and that might have had the RE040s. Don't take my word for it as I might be getting the tyre tests mixed up, but if the RE040 was there, then I'm sure it outperformed it as they did quiete well there.

From what I gather the K104 sits somewhere bellow Bridgestone G'rid3, or Falken Azenis ST115s .... I'd consider it on price for a car thatwasfited witheither of these. That does not make thema bad tyre, and I'm not sure how much difference one would notice at 8/10th on the road.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The Hankook K104 is a very good tyre good tyre & performs up there with the premium brands but sells at the mid to lower prices.
The newer patterns from Kumho are also extremly good tyres.
The Koreans are very quick to learn & one should not predudice there products based on past efforts.
One only has to look at the consumer electronics & mobile phones business to see that the Korean brands are right up there in design & style, where a few short years ago they were at the junk end of the market.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have for sale, delivery mileage only ( still have the dimples) 4 OE 18" track Bridgestone RE040,s
Highest offer over $800 the set accepted

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The Hankook K104 is a very good tyre good tyre & performs up there with the premium brands but sells at the mid to lower prices.

OK, I looked up the tyre test I was refering to. First of it was not compared to the 'budget tyres' like I thought, but against a combination of mid-range and top-end tyres so it is certainly a better tyre that I originaly thought. The tyres in the test were:
- Goodyear Eagle F1
- Dunlop SP Sport 9000
- Pirelli P-Zero Nero
- Falken GBR FK451
- Bridgestone RE040
- Michelin Pilot Sport
- Hankook Ventus SPort K104
- Toyo Proxies T1-S

The car they used was a Monaro CV8-R and the tyre size was 235/40/18. The results for the Hankook tyre were:
- Dry lap-time = 45.16sec (RE040 = 44.79, best = 44.79, worst = 46.09)
- Dry braking (100-0kph) = 39.6m (RE040 = 44.5, best = 37.7, worst = 44.8)
- Wet lap-time = 17.23sec (RE040 = 16.92, best = 16.54, worst = 17.32)
- Wet braking (80-0kph) = 34.5m (RE040 = 41.3, best = 32.4, worst = 44.0)

The comment from Rick Bates (ie. the driver) for the Hankook tyres in the dry was "These feel really sure footed. The turn-in is good and lateral grip is fantastic. They are very reasuring, and that counts for a lot in the real world, but it also means that you can push a bit harder on the track. These ones also make this car as neutral as a Monaro ever will be. There's a tad of understeer, but only if you go in too hot. There's no squirm whatsovever, and they didn't go away at all, even on the last lap. They feel consistent all the way and never stopped making me feel like they were trustworthy. The braking was pretty good too, and constistent. Yep, liked them a lot.". His wet comments were "These were lacking traction from standing start and generaly didin't feel as good as some in the wet. There's just a general lack of grip - standing start and laterally, although the braking was OK - and it's a bit hard to believe they're the same tyre as the ones that impressed me so much in the dry."

So, looks like Rick Bates liked them in the dry, but not in the wet. Though, it does not sound like a bad alternative to RE040s ... from the look of it inthe same ball park performance wise.

ps. Keep in mind that the tyres/results could be different if the tyres were tested ona different car.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
DavidM - do you have access to this article to post on the forum. I am interested in the results of the Goodyear F1 ( GSD3's I assume) as I am running this tyre now. Also, I would love to see how all the other tyres compared.
If you cannot copy / paste the article, then don't bother typing the results as that would be too much to do.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts