Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
When you change the wheels on the car to an aftermarket wheel does it disable the tire pressure sensor?
You have to transfer the sensor over to the new wheel. Ask before buying the wheel if it will accept the sensor.

Links that may interest you:

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...ic=13032&hl=TPS

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutorial:TP...ermarket_Wheels

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec...e.jsp?techid=44

http://www.schraderelectronics.com/brochur...ocation_id=1044

:burnout:

:pepsi:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Tire Pressure Gauge. :doh:

Sorry, man. To me, this is a no-brainer. Kinda like NAV. I spent 20 years traversing the country in a truck - with no GPS - or NAV. I had a ROAD ATLAS! :irock:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no i dont really car about them. When i take the stock wheels off how do i make sure the guys at the shop dont forget to give them back to me are they located in the wheel. (Dumb question probably)

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
no i dont really car about them. When i take the stock wheels off how do i make sure the guys at the shop dont forget to give them back to me are they located in the wheel. (Dumb question probably)

They are attached to the valvestem.

If you just remove the wheels with tires still mounted, you will get them back. :wink:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Sweet. A simple search for 'TPS' gave me this thread. Just what I wanted to find while researching the topic.

My plan is to have a tire shop remove my tires from the stock wheels so I can get to my TPS. Then I'll see if the sensors will fit on the new wheels w/o doing the steel band method. If it doesn't work, then I'll be taking lots of pics and adding to the tutorial or posting here.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
I don't like paying for something I don't need. Like TPS's. Silly. Check your pressures once a week, like your fluids.

At the risk of jinxing my luck -- I haven't had a tire failure in over 20 years. :irock:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have 2 sets of wheels/tires - my stock and my aftermarket.

I purchased a 2nd set of sensors and had them installed into my aftermarket. if I change the setup they need to be recalibrated, but there has not been any issue.

If you don't put sensors in your tires, no dummy lights or alarms will go off, you simply will not get a reading - I just recenly got mine put in the aftermarket after driving around for about 3 months without sensors!

now, I purchased TSW Thruxtons, same profile as my stock tires so there was not issue, if you go with a thinner tire like 19's, you may have to do the strap as the profile may limit the depth that the sendor may need.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I don't like paying for something I don't need. Like TPS's. Silly. Check your pressures once a week, like your fluids.

At the risk of jinxing my luck -- I haven't had a tire failure in over 20 years. :irock:

ah, but grasshopper, i am checking them. With the Elec. TPS. :biggrin:

I agree that it's not difficult to put a tire pressure gauge on. It's also not difficult to push a button on the Trip gauge.

I can also check my pressures with the Trip gauge while I'm driving. When driving around the track the ability to display tire pressure is a nice addition. Same with auto x. And yes these are things that I do , and not the majority of our community.. However, they can still push that button on a sunday afternoon driving to Walmart. Or stop, get out and pull out that dandy tire pressure gauge we all keep in the glove box. :wink: :)

I don't miss not having a "elec monitor" in the other cars. But I certainly can't complain about being able to do it without getting my hands dirty in the Z. This is optional; no one will force you to use it. :) Non-evasive wins.

Now on the subject of making new things too **** user-friendly, etc.. I'm with you all the way. I'm just an avid fan of the TPS. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Mr. Chris - go to the blackboard and write "I will never again question advice from elder ones" 100 times. :cheers:

Grasshopper, indeed. :irock:

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
You know for some reason hearing "TPS" puts my teeth on edge. TPS has long stood for Throttle Position Sensor or Throttle Position Switch. What all of you are meaning to say is TPMS… Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

Rant Off,
Ronin Z

“We’re putting new cover sheets on all of our TPS reports before they go out. Didn’t you get the memo?”

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Or Tire Pressure Sensor... :lol:

I don't like referring to the system as TPMS because then I think of Total PMS which is not a good thing. :nono:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:pw: :rolf2:

BTW, I guess technically it's called a wheel transmitter instead of a sensor. Why don't they just call it a PSI transmitter for the TPMS?

:wavey: Kansai....BF2 calls

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
:pw: :rolf2:

BTW, I guess technically it's called a wheel transmitter instead of a sensor. Why don't they just call it a PSI transmitter for the TPMS?

:wavey: Kansai....BF2 calls
:pw: :cheers:

RE: bf2
:) can't tonight.. must swap video cards.. and then i'm about to crash to get up for a test and tune.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts