Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 07 350Z Touring convertible and I have owned this car for about 4 years. The only real issue I have had is the TPS warning light. It flashes for about 30-60 seconds then stays on steady. Let me give you some history:
Car is 2007 350Z Convertible Touring with 87,000 Kilometres. No winters and stored from Oct to May
In the early days of owning this car I performed the reset function many times. It did work for some time then the light would come on periodically and sometimes go out on its own. The sure thing is it would come back on. I connected an extension wire to the white reset wire so I don't have to take the passenger side apart.
I purchased and changed the TP sensors in each wheel. The light went away for 20 minutes.
I have checked for bad grounds and checked to see if the car had a history and someone modified the wiring. No, everything is original.
I have check the BCM for visual issues and my keyless entry module is under the passenger dash. Nothing obvious
I have AllData which isn't the friendliest software to use but I think I understand the flow from the TPS to the keyless Entry to the BCM to the light in the speedo. Aldata tells me there is a fault in the system when it reacts this way.

Does anyone have any logical troubleshooting advice without cutting white wires?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Can your alldata system test each TPMS to determine which unit isn't reporting? If not, some wheel shops may have this kind of device.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi dkmura,

My Alldata is software used by DYI and pro repair shops, two versions, one is an annual subscription (reasonable price) and one is a pro version (very expensive).
Good point regarding the signal and I will make a couple calls to see it the technology is here to test this. The symptoms I have now are the same as before I changed all wheel sensors to new ones. I actually thought that an un-shielded wire may be causing the system to trip or interfere with that signal. The only electronic mod done to my car is a USA-Spec hands free / Bluetooth module for the stereo. It plugs into the existing components where the SAT would connect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have found an app for my phone that monitors the TPS using an OBD2 Bluetooth module. I have the OBD2 module and will try this on my next ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found an app for my phone that monitors the TPS using an OBD2 Bluetooth module. I have the OBD2 module and will try this on my next ride.
That didn't work so I am calling around to try and find some sort of scan tool. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I took my 350z to the Nissan dealer Friday morning and had the tech scan my sensors. They are not busy these days with few cars being sold and so many still isolating. The LR wheel held a past failure so I am going to change that one this week. The tech said although the sensors are less than 2 years old, a battery may be causing an intermittent signal loss. As a note my TPMS has not tripped since then which is not the norm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer did not charge me for checking the TPS. With the LR Wheel sensor showing a past failure, I agreed to change it. It cost me $62.00 for the sensor and $50.00 labour. Having said this I still believe the dealer would not have charged me if I did not change the sensor. I will close this post with a summary for others to learn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I believe my issue is fixed. I have search so may posts looking for answers and I want to summarize as much as possible what I was dealing with and what I did.
  • 2007 350s Touring Convertible with 87K...not too old
  • Intermittent TPS light since we owned this car for 5 years. Flashing for 30-60 seconds, then on steady.
  • Performed the TPS reset process many times to frustration
  • Adjusted TP to see if it made a difference, found that the published 36 PSI was best
  • 2 years ago, I ordered 4 new wheel sensors using a process of elimination (10 year life of batteries)
  • After having these changed, I was told the car was test drove and the light did not come on. I drove car home, 25 min, and lite came on before my driveway. Performed manual reset and it went out for some time, but problem came back.
  • I bought a subscription to ALDATADIY (http://www.alldatadiy.com/) to get copies of current Service Bulletins.
Bulletin:
Classification: WT13-005
Reference: NTB13-088
Date: September 26,2013
LOW TIRE PRESSURE WARNING SYSTEM; BULLETINS SUMMARY

APPLIED VEHICLES: All vehicles with:
Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS) Or Low Tire Pressure Warning System (LTPWS)

states "Radio Frequency (RF) interference can cause a No Data condition and may be caused by any device that is transmitting RF on the same or similar frequency that the TPMS/LTPWS sensors are on and is not covered under warranty." This refers to cell phone USB chargers that plug into cigarette lighters.
I could get the light to come on or off by plugging this charger in or removing, but it wasn't the only cause for the TPS light. I removed all chargers and it still came back intermittently.
  • This spring I could not get the light to go out after changing to new tires and performing the manual reset. I gained access to the BCM and the remote access modules. I disconnected all plugs to basically reset the contacts. The light did not go out. I called the dealer to scan the system and when I left to drive there, within 30 seconds, the light went out. The dealer scanned the wheels for proper tire pressure which was good. When he plugged in to OBDII, it showed a LR wheel TPS past failure. We ordered a new sensor and that was changed 4 days later, today. Just a note that the TPS System did not trip for 4 days after the test and I tried all the things that would usually trip the system. I still had the sensor changed.
  • In summary, I would say that either the resetting of all the plugs into the BCM and Remote Access Module may have been the fix or it could also have been an intermittent signal from the LR wheel sensor. I'm betting on the sensor, hopefully it doesn't come back

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well lets have an update...went for a drive on Saturday. Decided to plug in the cigarette lighter USB adapter to charge my cell phone. It is a very cheap version that I think I received at a trade show. During the first hour my TSB light came on twice, once reset by itself then stayed on. It was flashing then came on steady. I removed USB charger from the front CL and within 3 min the light went out and did not return. I then plugged the adapter into the rear CL and it did not return. So I found this very boring video but it tells the truth and inline with the Nissan SB.

To find one that is shielded will be difficult and maybe expensive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts