Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles till your stocks were completely burned? I have an 03 silverstone with 9000 miles and my potenza's have about half the thread left. I know they are rated at 140AA which is really low but wow, less than 20,000 life is a little low. Haven't raced my Z or really done burnouts. Anybody with better/worse tire life? Would be interesting to see how many miles those tires last. Other types of tires are also welcome.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
My stockers have 9000 miles on them and not really worn at all. They are really soft tires tho. I have the Toyo Proxes T1-S on my new rims, but haven't driven with them on yet. Also have Blizzak LM-22's for winter on stock rims, with about 100 miles on them tho. Good thread idea! Sorry I couldn't contribute more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ypurim@Apr 14 2004, 03:50 PM
Do your winter tires really help?

I would get a winter beater if you can afford to get a cheap one. I drove my Z the entire winter, last year and finally got a beater after that. I'm sure the Z would do ok with snow tires but just the thought of rock chips, magnesium chloride and other drivers doesn't make it too appealing to drive such a nice car in that mess. I used the stock tires all winter long and noticed that traction wasn't great at all from a standstill and on inclines. Once you have momentum, then you should be ok.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I don't know if they are a help or not, I finally got them in Feb after bugging the CRAP outta hubby for them, and 6 days later she was hit and now in the body shop. I do know that here in Pittsburgh, we get a sh*tload of snow and we got stuck in the first snowstorm on a huge hill (the whole dammed city is on hills!). Xmas dinner and it started to snow and we had the Z so I told hubby it was time to go b/c of the snow and the z no go in snow. He said Ill drive it home (like he's the expert). So we get going later on with an inch of snow on the roads....first hill, we are stuck. Wheels a spinnin, just spinnin and not going anywhere. Spin spin spin spin spin. He gave up and was going to have some trucker dude pull us up the hill but we didn't have a screwdriver to take off the front plate and use the tow hook. I said move--I am driving, and after about 45 minutes of *inch by inch by inch creeping little gas little gas little gas* we finally made it up this 100 foot hill. It took me 2 hours to drive 12 miles, but I DID IT and not him! LOL Those stock tires are worthless, dangerous, and absolutely hard as rocks in the snow and ice. I just waited to go to work till after they plowed my street, b/c that way I KNEW they had gotten to the bigger roads. I can't get a beater b/c we barely have enough room in our driveway for my Z and his truck. No garage. So $800 in snow tires it was. I wouldn't trust driving on those stockers for anything in the world if you live in an area that has snow for 4 months of the year. IMO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts