Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I am new to this site and wanted to say hello. I have been saving for the past year for a newer car. Right now I have a 98 Eclipse GS-T. It was definitely an upgrade from my previous car, about 70 horsepower, 10x the options, and 3 years newer. Front wheel drive came and went, I am not a honda boy. I need something more! Well I was saving up to buy a 99 Eclipse GSX and build it to be a v8 killer but I happen to stop by this site and that plan went out the window.

As of right now, I am in a community college 2nd year. I will not be able to afford a 2003 350z until next year but to me, the wait is well worth it. I have been looking around while driving lately and I haven't seen more than a few. I plan on picking up one next year that has about 12-22k miles. I figure by next year, I can pick one up with the right options for around 20k. I have been looking around this site and a few others to find out about the mods that can be done. I can say honestly that I would be perfectly fine with stock (for a while anyway).

Is there any problems to watch out for? (The later eclipse turbos from 95-99 could crank walk and the motor would be gone)

Comparison: (next years figures)

99 Eclipse GSX 2003 350z
Price 11-15k 19-21k
hp 205 4cyl 5spd 287 6 cyl 6 spd
mileage 50-75k 15-25k
Age 6 2
Problems: Weak Drivetrain High Insurance? (will be 20)

Let me know of some others. Sorry for being so long. Now I just have to stay strong on the saving process (Any tips are welcome).

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Welcome aboard

I'll let the people who have a 2003 relate their experiences to you. But one thing that quite a few people noticed is tire feathering (cupping). Just something to look out for when shopping. When looking at a 2003 Z with 12k+ miles on it, if the feathering was going to affect that particular Z, it should have by that point. If you see it has new tires on it, find out why.

As far as saving money goes, if you can, open a savings account dedicated to buying your car. It may not help you make a lot of extra money, but keeping it in a separate account will prevent you from spending it unnecessarily</span>

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I have a 2003 Z for sale!

J/k! Actually, you'd be happy with the Z. I went from a Geo Prizm to the Z....Yeah, you could buy a used Base for $20k with that kind of mileage. The Z seems to keep the resale value pretty high. And yes, save, save, save!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Yeah, definitely get ready to notice a difference. I have a Civic for a daily driver, and whenever I switch to the Z, it's like the day I brought the car home all over again. It's so much fun to drive. Once you go from FWD to RWD, you'll never want to go back again.

·
Registered
232 Posts
welcome !! ive driven a gsx moded before, was fast but compared to the z its nothing..might not be AS fast but just the way u sit in the car and drive it, its amazing. im not going to blab on about it.. but go take it for a test drive and ull know what im talking aobut. oh by the way i did have a 93 tsi converted to look like a gsx, its another way to save some $$ both awd.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know all about rwd. My first car was a 95 firebird and boy was that some fun.

As for saving money by not eating fast food, you are totally correct. I have cut out all fast food except Subway which gets kinda costly when you eat there quite a bit.

I am going to a university about this time next year and I want to have the money saved up by then. I am going to try and get my parents to go in on this purchase with me. You know the whole "I need a reliable, newer, warrantied car for transportation" deal. Hopefully that will get me something. As long as they don't get the bright idea to go out and get me a civic or miata.

I work at a private golf course where tips are welcomed. Maybe if I wear a sign around my neck with a 350z on the front with some sincere saying, they will tip better??

Can't stop now, I'm in too deep.

PS. The talons and the eclipses are exactly the same except for badging. I would love to have one but from what I have read, either the timing belt jumps, the differential takes a dump or the clutch goes out. They are definitely a good bang for the buck.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Just keep talking about your dream of owning a Z and saving up for it while on the golf course.
Eventually, someone will take notice and tip you better.
Also, you'd be surprised how your coworkers will remember your Z lust and pass that info on to someone, eventually that info will go to another Z enthusiast who might hook you up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts