Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my new 6MT gearbox on warranty today (3rd gear syncro shot in 13,000 miles). Since Nissan is paying for the labor to drop the tranny, I am taking the opportunity to install the Tilton clutch and flywheel. Will post a review in a couple of days. Waaahhhooooooo!!!!

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This much I can tell you. I have had the JWT flywheel with the stock Nissan clutch for about 5 months. The stock flywheel weighs 31 lbs. The JWT weighs 14 lbs. The Tilton weighs 8 lbs.

The JWT negatively affects driveability. There is some chatter when idling with the clutch pedal out, which goes away if you depress the clutch. The car stalls on occassion, although this may be due in part to the R-tune cams. My idle is set at 800 rpm (stock is 650 rpm) and my timing was NOT advanced. The shifter feels different with the JWT flywheel, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. I got used to it and like it now.

That being said, shedding 17 lbs. of rotational mass (JWT) or 23 lbs. (Tilton) is a good thing and frees up some rwhp.

I am told that the Tilton Rally clutch is very touchy and revs very quickly. Basically an on-off switch. Lots of fun to rev the car, and it bites harder than the stock clutch. If the Z is your daily driver and you spend a lot of time in rush hour traffic or have to frequently come to a stop when facing uphill, this mod is not for you.

P.S. I am selling the JWT Aluminum flywheel, although someone has already expressed interest in it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.