Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day,

I had to run an errand this morning, and thought that I would take the Z out and stretch its legs. When I stared it, there was a reasonably loud "tick - tick - tick" coming from the engine... it sounded like an old american V8 with hydraulic lifter trouble. :doh: The "ticking" continued until the car was warmed up a bit... a mile or two.

The car lives in the garage when not out playing... the temperature wasn't all that cold, probably well over 40 degrees. The car was started yesterday and made no unusual sound at all.

I'm sure that the local Nissan dealer wouldn't be able to "duplicate the problem," so I will probably have to wait until it's a really big problem to be able to count on Nissan to be of any use at all (if then).

This happened to anybody else?

Take care

Rob

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Rob, I have not had this happen to me, but I wonder you might have got a bad batch of gasoline. Make sure to use only 93 octane in the Z.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good suggestion, Pavel, but I am absolutely certain that thisis not a 'bad gas' problem. As a matter of fact, I'm now down to about the 1/3rd tank level and all's been well up until that one start (this morning) where the beast clattered just like a '62 Chevy with one bad lifter!

By the way, every start since has been normal.

Still looking forward to seeing (and hearing!) your car. Maybe later this week (I hope, I hope)

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would think its a lifter tap. I have a slight lifter tap on my car. Then again I would have to hear the sound to really know anything if then!?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ive never heard the tick on start up but sometimes when backing into the garage or just pulling off in first gear there is a slight ticking sound that seems to come from under the car. Checked out the underbody to see if something has "bumped up into my undercarriage" , nothing there but squirrels (j/k) Hasnt happened in a while and like everyone else dont wnt to waste my time trying to recreate with a dealer if the car still runs just fine.

·
Registered
286 Posts
you should be OK as long as it doesn't go BOOM when the tick...tick...tick stops

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would think its a lifter tap. I have a slight lifter tap on my car. Then again I would have to hear the sound to really know anything if then!?

Yes, I feel pretty certain that the noise was valve-train related... most likely a 'lifter tap' just as you suggest.

These are somewhat noisy cars, but I suppose that every car (make & model) probably has its own noise 'signature.' My Toyota Land Cruiser makes a slight 'clatter' or 'rattle' at virtually every start up... it's the timing chain ,aking a fuss as the tensioner gets all 'pumped up' with oil pressure. Apparently all Land Cruisers with the 1FZ engine do it and it means nothing (My 'Cruiser has a g'zillion miles and will go that far again, I am very sure).

As far as the 'ticking' when putting the car away after driving it a while (which mine really does not do), that's just a matter of hot metal thinggies cooling down and the resulting 'ticks' are simply the result of thermal contraction... My Hitachi Ultravision TV does the same thing!

So, I'll keep driving and listening... and if it doesn't go 'BOOM' I will remain a happy Z driver!

Happy new year to [email protected]

Rob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it constant? If it is it could be just your injectors your hearing.

No, Captj3, definitely not injectors... this was valve train clatter (I'd bet the title on that!). Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
No problem. Do you have a kinetix v4 plenum by chance? That plenum ampifies the valve train noise. Trying to help and give you some ideas.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Rob, I just experienced what sounds like the exact same ailment as you describe with my mom's 2003 Maxima. I started the car, and jumped back in the seat as it was so loud. Let it warm up for about 5min, and then revved the engine to 1500RPM. AS soon as I let go of the accelerator, the car died.

Took the Maxima to the dealership to run codes from the ECU, and when I started the car that morning, the noise was still there. Once I got the car out on the road, it disappeared. Dealership started the car - cold- several times and even kept it for 2-days, and found nothing wrong. It seems all is fine now. - WEIRD

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No problem. Do you have a kinetix v4 plenum by chance? That plenum ampifies the valve train noise. Trying to help and give you some ideas.

Nope... box stock engine! Thanks for keeping the wheels turnin' though!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rob, I just experienced what sounds like the exact same ailment as you describe with my mom's 2003 Maxima. I started the car, and jumped back in the seat as it was so loud. Let it warm up for about 5min, and then revved the engine to 1500RPM. AS soon as I let go of the accelerator, the car died.

Took the Maxima to the dealership to run codes from the ECU, and when I started the car that morning, the noise was still there. Once I got the car out on the road, it disappeared. Dealership started the car - cold- several times and even kept it for 2-days, and found nothing wrong. It seems all is fine now. - WEIRD

Dang, Pavel, that's a whole bunch worse than the noise I had! I'll be interested to see if the noise ever comes back on the Maxima... well, on my car, too. My noise lasted probably something like 3 to 4 minutes and has not returned (yet).

Still thinking about getting an exhaust system exactly like yours... you have ruined everything else for me :clap:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Could be cold sticky lifters or lifters that don't hold a little oil for start up. Just put a half qt. of Marvel Mystery Oil in the crankcase. This is probably just a little carbon build up. The MMO will break it up. After 3K miles change your oil as normal. You shouldn't have to retreat the motor with MMO unless you have a lot of carbon build up. Lots of stop and go driving will increase this. If you have over 30K on the VQ is a good possibility. I have done this to my Z31's, 350Z and my Pathfinder.

Give it a try .... MMO is a really good lube/cleaner. :clap:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts