Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight while browsing the internet I came across an oil filter like I have never seen before. First thing I noticed was the price, at 150 dollars I was more than curious to see what this thing was all about.

Link: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/hopup1/troilfiing35.html

So my question to you all is: Has anyone out there tried this or heard anything about this? I would be willing to put one on my car if it works the way it claims to. Let me know guys.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:dunno: I don't get how it can add HP. I don't know about this product...sounds too good to be true. I might not want to risk it yet until I hear more about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
http://www.ultraoilfilters.com/uof/page.cgi?g=;d=1

Most of your questions can be answered here. Good info including comments on the anti-drainback valve (Nissan recommends buying only OEM filters because they have this valve). The Ultrafilter has no bypass or anti-drainback. It is a very simple piece of hardware. It filters more finite particles than a paper filter and filters all the time, unlike most filters with a bypass. Key benefits are lifetime part that will eventually pay for itself, and better filtration (which means cleaner oil).

You will have to find somewhere to dispose of your cleaning solvent but most cities have a safe way to dispose of this type of thing, just like your used oil. Cleaning this filter is as simple as cleaning a reusable air filter.

As far as the horsepower gains claim, I am curious where Hopup came up with that since I don't see it on the UF site. Just like the grounding kits, whose benefits in the power arena are questionalbe, I'd need to see a before and after dyno to buy into that.

OZ

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wouldn't know if there are any HP gains directly related with the use of Trufilter, but what I noticed after I installed it was a quicker response of the Z. The RPM needle climbed faster than stock. I did however, switch to Amsoil 5W30 Full Synthetic along with the Trufilter. Therefore, I wouldn't know if the change was due to the oil or filter. I originally installed the Trufilter and Amsoil changed at roughly around 8900 miles. Now, it's at roughtly around 11700 miles, but so far I'm completely satisfied with the change. I'm planning on taking the filter off at around 15000 miles and observe the filter for any engine damage. I was also told by a past street racer who claimed he used a similar kind of oil filter, but they were called system 1 oil filters that were not made of stainless steel like the Trufilter. From my understanding, he used those kinds of filters because of the high flow velocity it created for the oil to cycle through the motor much quicker. If you plan on purchasing one, I know of a site that sells them for about $130. Wasn't sure if you can put sites on here, so I didn't include the website. However, one reason I purchased the filter was because I could uninstall it, clean it and reuse it, which is environmentally friendly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts