Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
performance nissan has an awesome deal on a big brake upgrade using wilwood calipers.. i just wanted to hear some thoughts on this brake system. it is by far one of the most affordable brake kits out there.. but how much performance would be sacrificed if any?

i mean how much better would the 6k$ project mu brakes work over these?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My car was used to spec out a 6 piston Wilwood kit, available here...... www.350zbrakes.com , and it is going on my car soon. This particular kit was designed to fit a 13.6" rotor and 6 piston caliper under the stock 17" rims.

The guys behind the development (Russell Siebert and Dave Title, Former owner of Dilusi Motorsports) are very popular with Viper Clubs and Corvette clubs and have extensive experience with Wilwood Products. Try a Google on "Dilusi Brakes Viper" for descips and reviews of their setups. Anyway, a forum member and friend of mine is running their Wilwood package currently (I didn't have the cash when we developed it) so check with "was wesman" on www.my350z.com or look for him on www.350zforum.com under the screen name "wesman" I'm sure he'll be at some meets soon so you can see it there too....

Hope this helps

·
Registered
44 Posts
BTW - They are very local to you and I, Josh.......if that matters much to you.

Also , check out those links off of www.350zbrakes.com for more info on Wilwood itself. Should give you a good idea of the quality of the products. I don't see paying the extra money for StopTech and what not.

Funny Story, after Dave put the kit together for the 300zx, Viper, and Vette clubs......and pupularity started to take off.....the Pres. of StopTech contacted him about paying him to stop making kits.

My personal opinion is to go with Wilwood, based on what I've seen, but I've never owned there products, not for a bit longer anyways. Wheels and brakes coming soon.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I 'm sure they have taken this into consideration, but isn't there supposed to be much more braking power in the front than in the rear? I understand they got 6POT/4POT setup, but normally you see the rear rotor are around and inch smaller. I just wanted to make sure that if I bought these that the brake balance would be correct.

·
Registered
87 Posts
You might want to re-think the front only upgrade.
The 350Z is heavily biased to the rear for increased stability under heavy braking.

One track event with hard braking and the rears will be gone. I had to drive to Dallas from Oklahoma with metal to metal in the rear to fully understand this.

On another note - can you get by without spending thousands?

My 350Z is an enthusiest automatic. It was driven by my daughter, her boyfriend and me at the ZCCA event on the big track at Willow Springs. Because the car was driven in full auto mode by the kids, there was no engine braking before I climbed in for my run.

3 back to back 20 minute or longer sessions with 5 minutes between.

I had no brake fade and ran as fast as any 350Z on the track in group 3, where passing was allowed, that was not a race car or supercharged.

I used Castrol Synthetic brake fluid - cheap for a high temp fluid, Hawk HP plus pads and slotted/dimpled rotors.

I don't doubt bigger brakes would allow me to run deaper into the corners. But the traffic in front of me was always braking too early anyway.

When I do go with the big brake upgrade it will be with the Wilwoods from http://www.350zbrakes.com/
I used Wilwoods on a full race Z before and you can't beat that 1.25 inch thick rotor.

·
Registered
806 Posts
>>I understand they got 6POT/4POT setup, but normally you see the rear rotor are around and inch smaller. I just wanted to make sure that if I bought these that the brake balance would be correct.

I think you can adjust the Brake bias to fix this problem. If you have a lot of front braking (the front of the car goes down a lot), you'd have to adjust the brake bias.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts