Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the dealer look and they confirmed the problem but directed me to NAA to see what they could do. NAA said they haven't heard 2004's having the same issue and gave the same BS line about 2003 only.

I found this information in the NHTSA website about with many Z owners having the issue.

If you have tire feathering or loud tire roar I suggest we all follow these steps.

1. Go to dealer and get them to inspect (hopefully they take care of you)
2. Call Nissan directly a register the complaint with them and ask for a solution (stay positive and tell them you want to be able to purchase another Nissan in the future (also if you've owned prior Nissans tell them, it matters)
3. If NNA inform them you'll be contacting the NHTSA and logging the complaint.

Here is the website with a bunch of owners all with the same issue and solution from Nissan

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...=0&summary=true

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
[/quote]

Your one of the few lucky ones Steve

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have an 04 with 10000 miles. started feathering a couple thousand ago. Performance Nissan tried to get NNA to warranty and they said no. After all, no 04's have a feathering problem. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
5,138 Posts
[/quote]

Your one of the few lucky ones Steve
<div align="right">[snapback]66790[/snapback]
[/quote]

of course i did get rid of the stock 17" at 5k and running the NISMO 18". dunno if that made a difference but the car seems to like that setup alot better, handeling wise that is (just need to switch tires from a summer only tire to a all-season performance tire now due to the weather changes)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'll be checking in with my dealer in the spring about the issue. It's getting really loud again.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[/quote]

My dealer had the same problem, NNA won't authorize a replacment on '04s. Anybody that has had it done on an '04 - the dealer ate the cost of the new tires.

Interesting that they claim the problem was solved on the '04s because NNA did authorize the dealer to swap front tires and realign (the original '03 TSB). I had them print and give me a copy of the before and after specs and the front was way out of alignment based on the new specs.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I would love to know how many sales that Nissan will be losing b/c of the complete denial to all of these problems.

·
Registered
65 Posts
[/quote]

Probably not a whole lot. I was aware of the problem before ordering mine and I've seen a few other people post that they were fully aware of the problem. You have to weigh your desire to own and drive a Z against the level of aggravation of dealing with the feathering. For me, it was a no-brainer. Who knows, maybe there will be a solution available someday...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I took mine in with tire feathering which I noticed at about 8000 miles. Took it to the dealership with 11,000 miles on it. Dealer stated that the tires were feathered due to front end alignment problems. Stated the TSB was only for the 2003 model. Advised that they would replace my front tires and due the alignment for free, as it was still under 12,000 miles. Stated if I had gone over the 12,000 mile limit before bringing it in, that they would not have been able to do if for free. Claim front end alignment is only warrantied for the first 12,000 miles.
While waiting for the tires to come in, as they were on national back order, they followed the same guidelines as the 2003 TSB and swapped the tires from side to side on the front. They then followed the 2003 TSB when the new tires came in and did the front end alignment.
I only hope that they front end alignment is set to the right alignment to correct the problem.
One service writer told me that this should fix the problem and not to worry. The other told me that he didnt know for sure and suggested I have the front end alignment checked about every oil change at my cost of course.
They were both non commital about if Nissan would take care of it again if it started doing the same thing in about 8,000 miles or so.....
Surely Nissan will come out with a TSB to cover the 2004. My Z was built 04/04 so its a early model 2004.
Good luck to you on yours.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
Is NNA taking into consideration the 04's with build dates in 03? I mean technically it's still manufactured at the same time as all the other 03's.

Sheesh...just give up the tires!! Can 350Z owners create a class action lawsuit at this point? Would it be worthwhile? What if an accident was caused by these faulty tires on the 04's and NNA tries to say they had "no idea" of a problem...what then?

I still think it's lame...they need to take care of their customer's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
"Advised that they would replace my front tires and due the alignment for free, as it was still under 12,000 miles. Stated if I had gone over the 12,000 mile limit before bringing it in, that they would not have been able to do if for free. Claim front end alignment is only warrantied for the first 12,000 miles."

+1

But they should tell people this ahead of time! Its their fault for the car not having the right alignment from the factory. So they should own up to it and fix it. ****, VW has lemoned some touraeg's for just an ABS light that won't go off.
Does it say that in the warranty book? I haven't looked.

I talked with NNA several times during my whole process and they never said that 04's didn't have the problem. While I was waiting on the tires on backorder, I did ask the dealership if they could go ahead and do the alignment and they said no because NNA will not cover the alignment if its on a separate invoice than the tires....that being said, I would think NNA is covering the tires and alignment.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i also have an '04 and experienced feathering a little after 3000 miles...dealership offered to switch the driver side and passenger side tires. i filed a complaint w/NNA regarding the feathering issue...i ended up buying JIC coilovers w/their adjustable camber and traction arms and have had no issues since

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
[/quote]

No Pam a Class Action will do no good for any of us (Unless one of us is a Class Action Lawyer). Class Action will kill any resale value that some maybe considering. I'm switching over to PSII's for this year. I'll let you know if it helps or not. (IMHO - it's got more to do with the tires on the car than anything else.)
Kinda like a computer - **** In -> **** Out.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
[/quote]
I don't know that I've heard of any feathering on 04.5s. If they don't feather, 05s shouldn't

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have an 04.5 ss roadster that just started to show signs of tire feathering (5700 miles). Roaring sounds, checked face on inside of tread etc. I am going to the dealer Tuesday so will see what they say.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.