Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I lowered my 1994 318is a while back and I had crazy camber issues causing my tires to go bald on the inside. I DO NOT want this happening to the Z. Also, a short time after I had to replace the shocks and struts. Again, I do not want lowering springs to cause this to happen either. I am not racing the car, just going for a little better handling and looks.

A simple $200 mod the the bmw turned into a $500+ mess down the road. The Z is a much nicer car, and I can't let that happen here.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just lowered my Z using Hotchkis Springs, and just had her aligned two weeks after. My '03 350Z was not too bad out of alignment after the mod, and is back within specs now. I have not heard of others having the problems that you are describing so, I would have to say that you would be fine in lowering the Z. Of course, if you decide upon lowering her dramatically, then you may have issues but otherwise, go ahead and get 'er done.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
There will be negative camber issues, depending on which kit you go with, it seems that some that have a .6 drop or so do not have the camber issues, the fronts stay barely within spec and the rears can be adjusted to within specs.

If you go with larger driop like 1" then you will probably not be able to get the fronts or rears within specs and need camber arms.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much of a drop is the hotchkis kit? is it a stage 1 kit? i see the point westpak is making about the .6" vs 1" drop. obviously, the less you drop it, the less probelms you will run into.

If you can get your car back into relatively full alignment without new camber arms, i will definitely take a look at that kit. The drop you have is [/b]exactly[/i] what i am looking for. I just don't have the money to buy camber arms, new shocks, and most defintely new tires if the lowering does not work out correctly.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
If your goal is tightening up the handling, you'll notice a set of sways before you'll notice lowering spings. I'd recommend the Hotchkis, set middle level all around.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If your goal is tightening up the handling, you'll notice a set of sways before you'll notice lowering spings. I'd recommend the Hotchkis, set middle level all around.
Exactly!! I have the Hotchkis TVS stage 1 kit, but first installed the sways - a world of a difference.

The Hotchkis sport springs lower the stock Z .6" in front and .75" in the rear. THe drop is barely noticeable (which I like) but the ride quality and handling are superior than stock. Bumps are soaked up better and more "fluid" than stock, and the body roll is further removed (even though the Hotchkis sways made a bigger difference). I definitely recommend the Hotchkis springs as the difference from stock is noticeable and overall positive.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, the drop is noticeable enough to me (even from that cell phone pic you took) and it looks great. very tasteful i must say. dropped just enough to get rid of that gap between the wheels and fender. i have added this kit to my mod list. (still a little paranoyed about camber issues so if anyone can second my friend 350zluvr that i won't have any problems with a 0.6" front drop and 0.75" rear drop from this HKS kit please let me know)

·
Registered
55 Posts
i have heard nothing but good things about this kit as well, i can't give you personal experience because i don't have any, yet. but if you are seriously considering this kit then the best place to get it is definately intense motorsports. They have just the sways for $299 Shipped and the whole TVS kit (springs plus sways) for $399 shipped, which is a **** of a deal.

links:
just sways: http://www.intensepower.com/hospswba35.html
TVS kit: http://www.intensepower.com/host1tvskit3.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
i need to correct myself. i did a little shopping around and concept Z performance has just the hotchkis sways for $275 shipped ($274 plus special $1 shipping). link: http://www.conceptzperformance.com/Cart/de...15869.170.33.31

but intense power still has them beat on the TVS kit. (CZP price is $425 shipped)

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow, i am definitely glad that you pointed me in the right direction for the suspension kit! I almost overpayed because of shipping! More importantly, does anyone know how the service is from conceptzperformance.com and/or intense motorsports??

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
o yeah, if i install the suspension kit and then get the car aligned, and THEN get the 19" wheels i plan on getting put on, do i need to get it aligned again??? If that is the case, then I will wait to get the alignment until after the suspension AND wheels are on.

Even with the larger 19" wheels (I plan on getting 19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear), will i still be able to get the camber back into factory specs to prevent improper tread wear? I do not want any issues with improper tread wear. been there, done that, and paid the extra $$$ for it!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
You might also want to try Titat Motorsports. I bought a few things from them (Hotchkis Sways included), and they had the best price around at the time.

http://www.titanmotorsports.com/

(407) 277-8423

Their Hotchkis springs seem expensive, but maybe they will be able to cut you a deal on the sways. Doesn't hurt to find out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
titan at one time did have the tvs kit for a great price... i dont even see it on the site now

intense motorsports is one of the sponsors of this site, they definately have a good reputation (unless i am missing something??)

concept Z performance has been around since 2004, only heard a couple things about them, but good things none the less.

I am trying to decide whether or not to get the whole kit, it will be next month anyway, so i guess i have some time to think about it. blackfairlady if you get it let me know what your impressions are

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
does someone know the answer to the post i had above?? here it is again:

If i install the suspension kit and then get the car aligned, and THEN get the 19" wheels i plan on getting put on, do i need to get it aligned again??? If that is the case, then I will wait to get the alignment until after the suspension AND wheels are on.

Even with the larger 19" wheels (I plan on getting 19x8.5 front, 19x9.5 rear), will i still be able to get the camber back into factory specs to prevent improper tread wear? I do not want any issues with improper tread wear. been there, done that, and paid the extra $$$ for it!

thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts
when you increase your tire width along w/the combination of being lowered you will risk camber issues. the way i look at it is, since your already going to be replacing the suspension and have everything apart, why not go the safe route and install adjustable camber and toe links as well. going w/adjustable control arms isn't a bad idea either. maybe, i'm going overboard w/my suspension ideas but that's the route that i am going to go this time. too many issues w/my stock setup and even w/the JICs i had. good luck...let me know what you decide as i'm also in the market for suspension upgrade

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I have the Eibach pro kit springs with Hotchkis sways and I absolutely love them. The ride is less bouncy and tons more responsive than stock. A good set of shocks would eliminate more bounce, but I don't think it's completely necessary if it's not in the budget for such a small drop.

My alignment is ALMOST back into spec, and I was assured by the guy that aligned it that I wouldn't have any issues with tire wear. The Hotchkis kit is even less of a drop, so I don't see you having any problem. I didn't notice any tire wear on the inside of my stock 17's and I haven't noticed any on my 19" wheels. Hope this helps guys. :cheers:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, I've got an even better price for anybody that is looking for the TVS kit... I don't know how i missed it before, but Gruppe-s has the kit for $335 shipped!! That is the best **** price i have seen, anywhere.

http://www.gruppe-s.com/350z/zsus.htm

1 - 20 of 26 Posts