Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I "tuned" mine last night. Since I just finished installing the wideband AF guage, a friend (Rob) and I went out to this nice, straight country road and simply ran through the RPM's noting the AF ratio. I would shout out the RPM's in 500 RPM increments and Rob noted the ratio. We would stop, adjust the table, and do anothe run. Based on the info I've gathered here and elsewhere, we tried to maintain an AF ratio of around 13.0 during full throttle, starting at about 3500 RPM. I don't know if that's better or worse, but it was fun in any case :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
there's a lot of zeros under boost map, toykilla :D do you have before and after dyno of your a/f? I so badly need utec... I don't think most people would be generous enough to post their map, after all the $$ they spent on turning.. thanks for sharing. I'll share mine when I get it done.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
there's a lot of zeros under boost map, toykilla :D do you have before and after dyno of your a/f? I so badly need utec... I don't think most people would be generous enough to post their map, after all the $$ they spent on turning.. thanks for sharing. I'll share mine when I get it done.
well i dont have boost :cheers:

·
Registered
588 Posts
I "tuned" mine last night. Since I just finished installing the wideband AF guage, a friend (Rob) and I went out to this nice, straight country road and simply ran through the RPM's noting the AF ratio. I would shout out the RPM's in 500 RPM increments and Rob noted the ratio. We would stop, adjust the table, and do anothe run. Based on the info I've gathered here and elsewhere, we tried to maintain an AF ratio of around 13.0 during full throttle, starting at about 3500 RPM. I don't know if that's better or worse, but it was fun in any case :)
What gear did you tune in? I prefer 4th.

While your way of tuning was good, datalogging would allow more precise A/F numbers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow...I was reading about the Utec and it can have up to 5 different tunes from what I read and you can select them via a remote rotary switch. I like that idea.

Oh..btw...I am new here...LOL I don't have a Z yet..but give me a couple months...I have to ditch my Stang first.

DP

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow...I was reading about the Utec and it can have up to 5 different tunes from what I read and you can select them via a remote rotary switch. I like that idea.

Oh..btw...I am new here...LOL I don't have a Z yet..but give me a couple months...I have to ditch my Stang first.

DP
Welcome...and you are correct. UTEC is a great mid-level engine management system.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi folks

I'm a UTEC noob...so noo that it's not even here yet! lol Should be by the end of this week tho.

I love this thread! Or rather, the idea of it. I wish we saw more maps posted. I know once I get more knowledgeable about it I'll probably post every map from throughout my tuning process. lol Well, not all of them, but someone may be interested to see a progression of UTEC learning. :)

I'd like to make a map request, if I may... I just need a conservative baseline that will let me get out and make some runs without f'in up the works...

Here's my mods:
06 RevUp
Nismo CAI
Nismo Spec-1 cams
Nismo headers
Nismo y-/mid-/rear exhaust

If it weren't for the cams I'd try one of the many baselines floating around. But I'm paranoid about those maps not providing enough fuel.

Thx.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Getting my UTEC in this week. Gonna read the manual and check out some of the maps posted.

I will be headed to SGP for headers install as well as tuning the UTEC....3 maps...all motor (intake, exhaust, headers, plenum spacer, test pipes), 125 shot, and 150 shot. I'll post them on here when I get everything done so that anyone else running nitrous can benefit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Getting my UTEC in this week. Gonna read the manual and check out some of the maps posted.

I will be headed to SGP for headers install as well as tuning the UTEC....3 maps...all motor (intake, exhaust, headers, plenum spacer, test pipes), 125 shot, and 150 shot. I'll post them on here when I get everything done so that anyone else running nitrous can benefit.
Looking forward to it! I've got mine installed but too busy with other projects to get started with tuning yet. Soon though.

If you can, as SGP tunes try to get copies of each corresponding:

-map
-log (w/ afr)
-dyno chart (w/afr across rpm)

Seeing how each of those progresses to the final tune would be perfect. Ideally try to time stamp each one so we can keep them in order. That kind of information would be gold.

Good luck! Let us know what kind of numbers you get out of it!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looking forward to it! I've got mine installed but too busy with other projects to get started with tuning yet. Soon though.

If you can, as SGP tunes try to get copies of each corresponding:

-map
-log (w/ afr)
-dyno chart (w/afr across rpm)

Seeing how each of those progresses to the final tune would be perfect. Ideally try to time stamp each one so we can keep them in order. That kind of information would be gold.

Good luck! Let us know what kind of numbers you get out of it!

Yea, I'm gonna have all that good stuff. Shooting for 400WHP/TQ. We shall see. UTEC gets here today I believe. Anyone have a $G I can borrow for header install and tune? hahaha....jk

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well I just picked up the UTEC and installed it today in my G35x, and I have to say, HUGE fitment issues. I called AAM and they told me to ghetto rig it with velcro or zip strips or something. Very disappointing. I have to take a dremel to the piece under the glove box to get it back in. However, based on what I hear, I will be a very happy camper once I get it tuned. I was hoping for a base map, but my setup is somewhat unique, so I don't know if I trust something not made for my car. I have the following setup; Stillen airbox/K&N filter, Stillen intake tube, Kinetix V+ plenum, Megan headers, Kinetix cats, Stillen dual path exhaust.

Next week I will be getting a tune at the AWD dyno in MA called Enhanced Street Performance, where they have an AWD dyno and UTEC familiar tuners. I would be happy to post that map for the folks here, hopefully someone will get some use out of it.

jb

Seems either people are greedy and don't want to share maps, they don't know how to do it, or finally just don't care :(

·
Registered
172 Posts
Seems either people are greedy and don't want to share maps, they don't know how to do it, or finally just don't care :(
Maybe when someone pays $500 for a tune with FI they feel it's not fair to them to just give it away. I can understand this. It doesn't mean they are greedy. We all work very hard for our money.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Maybe when someone pays $500 for a tune with FI they feel it's not fair to them to just give it away. I can understand this. It doesn't mean they are greedy. We all work very hard for our money.

You can look at it like that or like scientist do with science....when you have something everyone can benefit from, why not share it.

Still waiting to get my car back from SGP. One of Mark's buddies at TurboXS (I think he designed the UTEC software) will be here in town this week. SGP and TurboXS tuning my sh*t? What could be better!!!?!!

With all the smart a$$ ppl I've run into lately on other 350z boards, I will be emailing the maps to the helpful, respectful ppl who request them. Like Captj3 metioned above....the hard earned money I spend on maps will not be going to disrespectful a$$holes. Everyone who has posted on this thread so far is still more than welcome. PM and I should be able to get back with you guys next week.

Holla.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well I just picked up the UTEC and installed it today in my G35x, and I have to say, HUGE fitment issues. I called AAM and they told me to ghetto rig it with velcro or zip strips or something. Very disappointing. I have to take a dremel to the piece under the glove box to get it back in. However, based on what I hear, I will be a very happy camper once I get it tuned. I was hoping for a base map, but my setup is somewhat unique, so I don't know if I trust something not made for my car. I have the following setup; Stillen airbox/K&N filter, Stillen intake tube, Kinetix V+ plenum, Megan headers, Kinetix cats, Stillen dual path exhaust.

Next week I will be getting a tune at the AWD dyno in MA called Enhanced Street Performance, where they have an AWD dyno and UTEC familiar tuners. I would be happy to post that map for the folks here, hopefully someone will get some use out of it.

jb
I would avoid AAM at all cost.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I agree with you capt. I gave away $600 of tuning at the beginning of this thread.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I agree with you capt. I gave away $600 of tuning at the beginning of this thread.
Just to be clear I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ with my comment. I think alot of people may feel like that. I know I would help someone if I could. I agree old school people on the other forums can be a$$holes.

Old school are you boosted? If so which kit andwhat mods are you running?

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just to be clear I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ with my comment. I think alot of people may feel like that. I know I would help someone if I could. I agree old school people on the other forums can be a$$holes.
Old school are you boosted? If so which kit andwhat mods are you running?
I know capt. I ACTUALLY agreed with your assessment. Maybe I should have worded by post differently. It's just tough to ask someone to give something for FREE that cost them $400-$600.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts