Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah its the first time i took it in. The feathering on the front tire didnt start until i hit 13k. :sucks:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2004 350 performance and have been experiencing the loud roaring noise when cruising around 30 mph. The dealership says that bridgestone has put the tires on hold. I need new tires now. If I change brands of tires (from bridgestone to michelin) will I still experience this problem afetr a few thousand miles???

·
Registered
543 Posts
Well one thing we know for sure is its NOT feathering, because they fixed that . So it couldnt be feathering, since they wouldnt lie to us... right?

/sarcasm

good luck man. I would fight them tooth and nail to pay for any new tires you get whether its crapstone or a good brand.

And, to be honest, I may be doing that in the next few thousand miles. My neighbor, who had the 03 with a feathering problem, sees my front tires starting to feather at 7000 miles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Early 2004 models still have the feathering problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 2004 Silverstone with a bit over 13K on it. I took it to the dealer and they explained the TSB pertains to only 2003 Z. Here is what my conversation with the service person went like:

Me: So you are not going to cover my car because the TSB is for 2003 even though it's basically the exact same car with the exact same problem?

Service: We have our hands tied because the TSB is only for 2003. Nissan has declined to approve the work to your car.

Me: Do you know if they will update the TSB for 2004?
Service: I doubt it.
Me: I want their phone number.
Service: Here it is, 1-800-Nissan1
Service: BTW, you will receive a satisfaction survey in the mail. Nissan does not like it when we don't get Excellent on all the points. If there is something that makes you not give us an Excellent, please, please call our service manager and he will help you out.

Guess what I'm going to put? :xZ!o:

·
Registered
254 Posts
They told me about the survey also and guess what they got the worst review they have ever seen. Since then they have waited on me hand and foot and even replaced my tires again right before the warranty that the TSB states for 03s. My tires were bearly even making noise but I said they were and he said OK we'll take care of it. Live and learn!

·
Registered
909 Posts
Definately call NNA and open a file with them. The dealership is going to be *icks about it until they see an actual TSB. If they really wanted to appease you they could have wriiten the tires off as a Goodwill Ticket, on the ticket it says that it's for CUSTOMER RETENTION. My dealership did that for me once for my back tires which is NOT covered by NNA.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nissan needs to take their head out of the sand. I had a guy call me at work today and he told me that he was not going to buy a 350Z because of the feathering issue. He said if Nissan is not going to fix the problem for its current loyal customers, he would pefer not to buy the car. I wonder why Nissan just doesn't change out the front end parts to fix the problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too just experienced this problem (m Z has 14,500 on it), but the dealership was very cool about it. The Service Manager did explain the TSb for the 2003 cars, but they went ahead and honored it for my 2004. I guess it all depends where ya go!?!

Tim

·
Registered
483 Posts
I bought a July built 04 in December because I was aware of the alignment and tire wear issue on the 03 and early 04 Zs. Just when I thought I was not effected by the problem, the service manager at the dealership showed me my outside front tire had started to chop. That's probably the reason why I had been feeling a slight vibration at higher speed. It's funny that I looked for the feathering on the inside of the tire a month ago, but i guess it can happen on the inside and outside. I know Nissan wont warranty the 04 tires, but i am just wondering whose 04 is having the same problem? My car was purchased new at 12/20/04 with 12 miles, it currently has 5900 miles

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just got my '03 Z last week with 32K on the clock. Everything seems perfect and it was certified before I got it---I even got an extended 5yr 100,000 mi warranty. I don't mean to be a dummy---but what EXACTLY is tire feathering? And how do I know if I'm beginning to get it? What do I look/feel/listen for? Like I said, no current problems right now, but I want to be on the lookout should this problem arise---It'll go RIGHT back to be taken care of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Spoonz, welcome to the Z club.

"feathering" is an uneven wear of the tire, in our case the front tires on the inside (towards the engine bay). It looks like the tire thread is worn in a "step" look, where one bump is high, the next low, the next high, etc... There are picutres in many threads in many forums.

Nissan refers to it as "tire roar", since what you notice is a low frequency noise at low speeds (30mph or so) mostly when breaking. Many say it sounds like a train. A "rrrrrrrrrrrr" of sorts. You then go look at the inside edge of the front tires and see an up/down/.up wear pattern. You got it.

Mine starts to show every 5K miles. By 8500 it is so bad I don't want to drive the car. I am on my third set of front tires in 26K miles.

If your car is at 32K miles the extended warranty won't help you (I think).

Nissans latest TSB states it is an alignment (Toe) issue. Nobody believes this and most can show that setting Toe does NOT solve the problem. I have after market springs, that doesn't solve it either.

This is the end of the "Intro to Tire Roar (aka Feathering) on the 350Z"

Enjoy the car!! :cheers:

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine is on the outside tire. Instead of changing the springs, maybe we should look at changing the shocks since it controls the rebound

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've been wondering why I even have a staggered tire setup. I have 18x8 OEM wheels, so why did Nissan put 225's in the front and 245's in the rear? I'm thinking of buying 245's for the front and seeing if this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anyone with different tires have the feathering problem? It could well be bad tires, but then I wouldnt think Nissan would warranty it if that was the case

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
[/quote]

Yep, me just today I decided that what I have is a roar on decceleration @ speeds lower than 40 mph. I have not taken the wheels off to look. I had the car put up on the alignment rack last oil change and they told me it was 0.03 out of alaignment. Paid $54.00 for it. Now, not more than 2 months has gone by and I have a roar.

I have Yokohama AVS sports in 245/35/19x9 all around. Directional rotation takes place every oil change. Can't get a break here....Calling NNA tomorrow!!

I'm very :angry: :angry: :angry:

Pamela

41 - 60 of 130 Posts