Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I'm a Mobil 1 guy. I use 5w30 in the winter, and either that or 10w30 (my preference) the rest of the year. 5w30 can be used at any temperature, and 10w30 should only be used when the temperature is above 0F (which for me is all year round, but I like to play it safe)

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Mobil 1, 10w30 every 3K miles will be my schedule when I reach 3K miles on engine. Still got about 600 miles to go. Oil already changed once when GReddy was installed.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Jun 30 2004, 11:19 AM
I'm a Mobil 1 guy.  I use 5w30 in the winter, and either that or 10w30 (my preference) the rest of the year.  5w30 can be used at any temperature, and 10w30 should only be used when the temperature is above 0F (which for me is all year round, but I like to play it safe)

I also use Mobil 1 synth. 10w30 all the time. Since I bought my Z in March, I plan NOT to drive the Z in the winter here so it makes my decision easier.

Speaking of which, thanks for reminding me that it's time for an oil change...my first one! This oughta be fun! Hey, didn't you post something a while back about having some one else do it for you? Are you doing it yourself, or have you found a shop to do it?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I think I've changed my mind!

For $31 a gallon, and based on the amount of driving I do, that will be $31/year for oil, I think I'm going with Amsoil.

Amsoil 0W30 Synthetic

Friend of mine at work has done some research on this, and if Amsoil and Royal Purple are always competing against each other and Mobil 1 is silent, I think I'll go with the competitors. From what I understand, using oil that produces less friction will actually allow the engine to produce more HP. Also holds up to high heat or temps and maintains higher oil pressure.

This is what I like best as quoted from their site: "In personal cars and light-duty trucks with non-turbocharged gasoline engines: change the oil at 35,000-mile or one-year intervals, whichever comes first."

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good sluething Smooth! To ans. your previous question I have not done the change yet but Mike (rollin350z) directed me to the person who does his, and they are across the street catty cornered so I could watch her moves all day (no joy riding for them! HA). Next week is the oil change, it's just hard to give her up for a day!

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jul 1 2004, 03:16 PM
Friend of mine at work has done some research on this, and if Amsoil and Royal Purple are always competing against each other and Mobil 1 is silent, I think I'll go with the competitors.

Why are Amsoil and Royal Purple competitors, but not Mobil 1? I don't know anything about the first two really

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Apparently, those 2 are always running tests to try and top the other. Their R&D sections must be busy! Ever see any of the other major brands posting test results of their oil in such detail like Amsoil? I've heard that Amsoil has been around a long time, too. Maybe they know what they are doing.

I've been told you can only order those 2 online. I'm not sure if that's true, though...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jul 1 2004, 02:50 PM
I've been told you can only order those 2 online.  I'm not sure if that's true, though...

I thought that too at first, there are only a couple of stores that sell it (Royal Purple) around here, even though it is made in the next town (Porter). Some of the quick lube places carry it as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I use mobile1 synthetic 5w30. I figure if it is good enought for vetts and bmw's the it should be good in my Z

·
Registered
36 Posts
mobil 1 5W-30 seems to be too thin 10.0cst @ 100c. I use mobil 1 5W-40 (the weight recommended for VQ35DE on Japanese Nissan websites)

·
Registered
909 Posts
I switched to Mobil 1 on my 4th oil change at 7,600 miles, only the best for my baby. I've also started doing my own oil changes so I can give her extra TLC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went amsoil at 600miles 5/30w. I have considered redline or royal purple. I had a 04 Hyundai Tiburon and at 1000miles I put in royal purple 5/30w and noticed a difference at around 50+mph and over 4k rpm. I haven’t decided yet if Im going to give royal purple a chance in my Z. I don’t drive my Z on a daily basis, But I still change my oil per the Nissan users guide. Since I live in socal I have heard I can get away with 0/30w.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I just added Royal Purple to mine for the first time last week. Expensive but I think it will be well worth it

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I got my Royal Purple from Pep Boys. I believe they just started carrying it here. Before they had it there were only a couple select places around here that sold it. I paid right around $6 a quart for it.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
She's so worth it though.Okay, shock is over.

I have to get my 2nd change and I wanted to go with synthetic. Can I extend my oil changing times if I'm exceeding the mileage time frame?

I was due for a change at 7,800miles. My dealer is in Fla where I've been getting the free oil changes, but now I'm ready to do a change here in my home town.
This mileage was obtained only one month past my last oil change. I travel extensively and exceeded my miles. I'm now at 9,500 and want to change my oil because I don't want to cause any damage, even though my date to change is Oct 19th.

Will synthetic allow for me to push my milage like I have this time??

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Technically synthetic is supposed to not break down nearly as fast as regular but I still change mine every 3000-3500 miles religiously

1 - 20 of 86 Posts