Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

81 - 100 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I've read some pretty bad reviews of the new Killers album. I like the single more than their previous work...but I've heard it is the stand alone gem from the entire album.

On Tuesday a new album by "The Decemberists" came out called Crane Wife. It might not be many peoples cup of tea, but for anyone interested, it comes with my recommendation. They are a kind of "folky" band. The lyrics are very "story-teller-ish" On this album they got a lot more "rock" with a few songs that actually have hints of things like Pink Floyd and Led Zepplin.

new JET out yesterday...album titled "shine on"

not bad-different, i'll say.

new KILLERS was disappointing. i didn't like the whole 'rock opera' mode they had in this album.

I had the opportunity to give the new Killers album a good listen to. Myself and Sisko99 drove to Wilmington to support the CFZC Oyster Roast.

Some of you may shoot me, but I'm liking this album just as much as the first one. And if I were put on the spot, I'd have to say I'm leaning toward being partial to the new one.

The last SP album I bought was Adore.

After Mellon Collie and Siamese Dream, Adore was disappointing. I know there was one afterwards, but I think the fact that I don't remember its name is comment enough.
You're thinking of MACHINA/The Machines of God. I'm a huge Pumpkins fan.

One of their best releases, IMO, was Pisces Iscariot. It was a collection of B-sides from them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pisces_Iscariot

Album cover:

·
Registered
481 Posts
Of Vengance and Violance - Dry Kill Logic

[attachmentid=17067]

This is their 3rd effort. If you liked "Dead and Dreaming" their second CD, you will dig this new album. These guys should have a bigger following!

Hard to compare these guys to anyone, if you liked my previous suggestion Soilwork's "Stabbing the Drama" you will like this CD.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Any Flaming Lips fans here?

The newest album, At War with the Mystics, is pretty good so far.

Nothing like 1993's Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, 1999's The Soft Bulletin, and 2002's Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

These are literally three of my favorite all - time albums. :cheers:

They're suppose to be an amazing band to see live. They were formed in Oklahoma and have been around since 1983.

In 2002, Q magazine named The Flaming Lips one of the "50 bands to see before you die".

In the September 2006 issue of Spin magazine, the band was ranked #16 in the article "The 25 Greatest Live Bands Now."

Sadly, they've had more hit singles in the UK and Europe. They've only done a few selected shows this year in the US in support of the new album. They're currently on a short mini tour in Europe. I can't wait till they come back close by. I'm still kicking myself for not going to see them in Atlanta this year. :banghead:

To give you a little sample, here's the video for "Do You Realize":

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vd4sL5u9eH8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vd4sL5u9eH8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Video for "Fight Test":

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KGr8IFbvaNU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KGr8IFbvaNU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Keep in mind the sound and video quality suck.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Kinda fits in as a perfect yin to Kurt Cobain's yang. He didn't like the fame. Brandon Flowers needs it. Maybe Courtney Love should marry Brandon (and then he can end up dead) lol....
:rolf2: Good point!

Smashing Pumpkins is also back in the studio.. I think everyone is holding their breath. Everyone wants to remember them as a great band, if their new album doesn't live up to the name that could spell disaster.
I just heard that only 2 of the original members were back together doing something.

BTW, I need to get more music by Rob Dougan. Been listening to a couple of songs of his that put me into a 'zone' while driving the Z. :irock:

I'll have to check out the Butterfly Affect.

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Any Flaming Lips fans here?

The newest album, At War with the Mystics, is pretty good so far.

Nothing like 1993's Transmissions from the Satellite Heart, 1999's The Soft Bulletin, and 2002's Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots.

These are literally three of my favorite all - time albums. :cheers:

They're suppose to be an amazing band to see live. They were formed in Oklahoma and have been around since 1983.

In 2002, Q magazine named The Flaming Lips one of the "50 bands to see before you die".

In the September 2006 issue of Spin magazine, the band was ranked #16 in the article "The 25 Greatest Live Bands Now."

Sadly, they've had more hit singles in the UK and Europe. They've only done a few selected shows this year in the US in support of the new album. They're currently on a short mini tour in Europe. I can't wait till they come back close by. I'm still kicking myself for not going to see them in Atlanta this year. :banghead:

I tivo'ed an episode of Austin City Limits that featured the Flamming Lips and the Shins. The Flamming Lips live show looks insane. A buddy that I work with went to one of their shows...and he said it was a spectacle. In the episode of Austin City Limits they had all the usual dancing characters on stage, he blew up a balloon with a leaf blower, filled with confetti, to about 8 feet in diameter. They smeared pigs blood on themselves. They had the guitarist/keyboardists dad come out and play saxaphone with them on a cover of "somewhere over the rainbow" which featured a theremin (if you don't know what that is...think spooky space music). There's tons more but I can't think of it right now.

Then the shins came on and seemed very very normal....but still really fuckin' great.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
One of their best releases, IMO, was Pisces Iscariot. It was a collection of B-sides from them.
I used to own:

Gish
Siamese Dream
Pisces Iscariot
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
The Aeroplane Flies High
Adore

Of all of them, Mellon Collie is my favourite....probably followed by Aeroplane Flies High.

I wasn't a big fan of Adore, which is why when MACHINA came out I didn't buy it.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I used to own:

Gish
Siamese Dream
Pisces Iscariot
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
The Aeroplane Flies High
Adore
Of all of them, Mellon Collie is my favourite....probably followed by Aeroplane Flies High.

I wasn't a big fan of Adore, which is why when MACHINA came out I didn't buy it.
Mellon Collie was the only one I had, and there were just a few songs on there I liked.

Anyone ever heard of the Art of Noise? I really liked them a lot back in the 80's.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Just heard this the other day: Blue October - Into the Ocean

Very catchy tune. Look for it online. You'll be pleased.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Well that does it. I officially hate Canada. South Park told me to hate them for years and I just ignored it, but now it has finally gotten personal:

Bad Religion and Dropkick Murphys just toured together in Canada and there is not sign they will tour in the states. Blame Canada!

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I wanted to take the time and ask that any of you to give the Killers album a second chance. I can say that IMO, it's EASILY the best album of 2006. It's the only album in a long, long time that I can put in and listen to every song, one after another without skipping back and forth.

I'm gonna be picking up the new +44 album. I'll reserve my opinions for later:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(+44)

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
what happened to 182?
All I can give you is my personal opinion from keeping up with everything. Since we as fans still haven't gotten a full explanation of Tom's departure from the band. IMO, his ego had gotten to be bigger than the band. His plan was to leave and start Angels and Airwaves and make the best music ever. I really need to find his quote in Rolling Stone. I don't see how they could do the interview and get around his ego.

From wiki:

Regarding the lyrical content of the album, Hoppus stated that "the (+44) album is by far the most lyrically personal music I have ever written. The words are everything I have inside me put on a CD. This is the most personal album any of us have ever written. You want to know who we are, what we think, or how we feel? Listen to the (+44) CD."[2]The album refers to the break-up of blink-182, and "the ugly feelings that were left over afterwards,"[1] according to Hoppus. The song "No It Isn't", released on Tom Delonge's birthday, December 13, is primarily directed towards Delonge's departure from Blink-182.[3]
We've long suspected when "No It Isn't" was leaked, most people assumed it was about Tom and his sudden departure from the band. That assumption was correct as you can see what Mark said. They're even releasing the second single from the album, which is "No It Isn't" on his birthday.

You know as fans we just want to hear good music and be entertained. The last concert I saw of Blink's was their final tour, it ranks easily in my top 5 concerts of all time. Opening with Taking Back Sunday, then Cypress Hill (all the while smoking a 5' long bong on stage), then Blink-182. I have fond memories of all their concerts I'd seen. The first one we saw they had the words "****" in giant letters behind them in the background. The letters were lit on fire the entire concert. Just cool seeing different things. Another concert involved Travis being suspended over us in "the pit" with his drums, as he's strapped in, he does this killer drum solo while rotating forward 360 degrees. I have some killer pics of us looking straight up at him while he's rotating upside down playing the drums.

In the end I'm sure Tom had surrounded himself with people stroking his ego. I'm sure he expected to leave Blink-182 and start A & A and instantaneously become a "rock legend". I would've loved to been a fly on the wall at the exact moment that reality set in for him. As you can see I still hold some frustration with him, but I did enjoy his new endevour with the new band. However, IMO, I think the +44 album is gonna blow him out of the water.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
One of his Rolling Stone comments, Do ya think the ego got big?

Originally posted by Tom Delonge in Rolling Stone interview+-->QUOTE(Tom Delonge in Rolling Stone interview)
I want to come out with an album that people will refer to twenty years from now as the album of this decade. [There hasn't been] a record like that since Nirvana's [Nevermind] and I don't think there's ever been a band as good as U2. But I'm willing to take on that challenge.
Originally posted by Rolling Stone@
How did the idea for the album's accompanying movie come about?

<!--QuoteBegin-Tom Delonge in Rolling Stone interview

At first it was going to be a documentary of what I'm trying to do [with Angels and Airwaves], then the album started getting really, really good. It's exactly where I wish I could have taken my old band. I was looking at some of the footage about a month ago, and I just saw someone who was scared to death but absolutely full of passion and belief that he could pull something off that's never happened in the history of rock & roll.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/926...launches_angels

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
LOL what a dick. I hope he fails miserably. Blink 182 was always a "fun" band but I would hardly call them one of the greats. And his annoying voice will not do well in any other genre.

81 - 100 of 375 Posts