Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Z is the first car I've owned since I was 18 that I've modified (to any extent).

As I've been cruising up and down these forums, it struck me - how many of us have an end in sight for modifications? (this was also prompted by our recent membership in a Z club - wherein everyone asks me "what's next?")

So - the questions I'm posing are these:

1. Do you have a "list" of "mods" you'd like to accomplish, or are you in a state of "what can I do next?"

2. How much are you influenced by others? (here on this site - or by other "car people" you know?)

3. Budget. Are your purchases planned - or do you wait until the end of the month and then decide what you can afford?

4. This is my favorite: Here's the scenario - let's say you plan on buying a Z for about $30k and then plan on adding $10-20k in "mods" - have you ever thought about buying a car (say a C6) for the same total (around $45k) and doing nothing else to it? (and perhaps recovering more of your intitial "investment when it comes time to sell?")

5. How much horsepower is enough?

After my gears are installed on Tues, that's about it for me. I have enough hp to have fun at Virginia International Raceway, and beat most of my students in stoplight fun. :cheers:

Bryan

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay - okay - I may - just may - get a single APS turbo this spring. But, THAT, will be the end.

(more than likely) :doh:

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
1. im always in that mood of what can i do next.

2. umm not really influenced by others excpet for josh when he comes up with brilliant ideas :biggrin:

3. i try to save but it never happens the way i want it to

4. i would rather dump 20,000 into this car than have a c6

5. i woudl be satisfied with 450-500

i will be going FI hopefully soon if things pan out here in NC

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts

1. Do you have a "list" of "mods" you'd like to accomplish, or are you in a state of "what can I do next?"

Yep, I've had most everything planned for some time now. http://www.fairladyz33.com/mods

2. How much are you influenced by others? (here on this site - or by other "car people" you know?)

Only the temptation to Turbocharge or two. I've got enough ideas on my own.. It's fun to share with others. I teach motorsports for a living, so I do get to see a ton of things.. However, I usually go to my own beat.

3. Budget. Are your purchases planned - or do you wait until the end of the month and then decide what you can afford?

Everything is carefully planned. I knew most of the parts I was bolting on within the first few months of researching it.

4. This is my favorite: Here's the scenario - let's say you plan on buying a Z for about $30k and then plan on adding $10-20k in "mods" - have you ever thought about buying a car (say a C6) for the same total (around $45k) and doing nothing else to it? (and perhaps recovering more of your intitial "investment when it comes time to sell?")

I can't keep my hands off much, so this doesn't really apply to me. If done right, there's nothing like what you'll get for the money invested. I'd rather have something with my personal style and brand on it. I've spanked and out performed more expen$ive cars. It all comes down to what you want to do, and what you know you can accomplish with what you have. It's also about being one-of-a-kind.

Not to mention what you can get in the after market for the price, compared to factory installed performance. The ARC, Endless and Zeal goods are some of the best you'll find around, period.

I actually bought the Z with the intent to keep for quite a while. To me, it's not about what I can get out of it later. You never know.. choose the right parts and take care of it, and SOMETIMES .. you actually get some $$$$ for it if you do sell. But can't ride the bandwagon.. If you want it to be worth something and special.. you gotta choose wisely. :)

Honestly? In a 3000lb (+-200lb) car. 300whp is plenty fast for most chaps. My "magic" number has always been 350-400whp. Any more and it will more difficult to drive. Not impossible. But most likely more than the avg. Joe can handle. It starts to become a very lethal weapon!

After my gears are installed on Tues, that's about it for me. I have enough hp to have fun at Virginia International Raceway, and beat most of my students in stoplight fun. :cheers:

I think you will love your new 3.91 r&p. The Z handles wonderfully.. You'll have fun no matter what hp you are puttin' down. Be safe and have fun beatin' up on your students.

Bryan
:shiftdrive:

p.s. you'll always have the desire for more power..

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This is my third Z and it's really the only car I've ever wanted. I don't know I just love what the car is. Modding is just a way of putting your personal touch on your car. To get what you want from it. Sure you could get a c6 but it's not a Z. I've done more to my current Z that I got this past may that I did with my last 350 and my 300. It also helps that I can get parts at cost now.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Chris. Very well put. I think you've identified the reason why I decided to "personalize" my Z - just that - it's becoming "my" Z. I almost bought a C6. Then, I realized I couldn't afford to make it "mine."

This PPW is my baby! :cheers:

And - I've had 4 Mustang V-8's ('85, '89, '91, and an '03 Mach), which were fun going through the gears, but this "little" Z lights me up when I downshift and hang out the rear around a turn. :irock:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Thanks, Chris. Very well put. I think you've identified the reason why I decided to "personalize" my Z - just that - it's becoming "my" Z. I almost bought a C6. Then, I realized I couldn't afford to make it "mine."

This PPW is my baby! :cheers:

And - I've had 4 Mustang V-8's ('85, '89, '91, and an '03 Mach), which were fun going through the gears, but this "little" Z lights me up when I downshift and hang out the rear around a turn. :irock:

Your welcome. Great topic to discuss. Anyone can buy a corvette (hear me out...) but wouldn't you rather put it together and know what makes it tic? Let alone being the underdog... $100,000 (not vette) car gets beaten by a lousy Nissan!?!

The 350Z is one of the sweetest handling cars around. It's not hard to enjoy it.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
1. Do you have a "list" of "mods" you'd like to accomplish, or are you in a state of "what can I do next?" YES always in a state of what can I get my husband to give me permission to buy next :wink:

2. How much are you influenced by others? (here on this site - or by other "car people" you know?) not very influenced but I do read and reasearch and then make my own informed decisions

3. Budget. Are your purchases planned - or do you wait until the end of the month and then decide what you can afford? get it when I am "allowed" :rolf2:

4. This is my favorite: Here's the scenario - let's say you plan on buying a Z for about $30k and then plan on adding $10-20k in "mods" - have you ever thought about buying a car (say a C6) for the same total (around $45k) and doing nothing else to it? (and perhaps recovering more of your intitial "investment when it comes time to sell?") I am keeping the Z, not an issue

never enough :lol:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Good topic. And like Chris would say, this one of those eternal debates that confound tuners and enthusiasts.

Personally, I am mostly happy with the Z until I read more or see pics. So in a way, I'm influenced by others but only to window shop. When I do finally purchase something, it's on my own terms.

I don't plan my mods or my purchase window, I do it when I can and whenever a good opportunity arises.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
My Z is the first car I've owned since I was 18 that I've modified (to any extent).

As I've been cruising up and down these forums, it struck me - how many of us have an end in sight for modifications? (this was also prompted by our recent membership in a Z club - wherein everyone asks me "what's next?")

I have an idea of what I want to do, just don't have specific parts laid out.

Not a whole lot, like I said, I have an idea. If it is near the idea...then probably.

Planned.

Never. I would take a modified S197 or Z33 (with 500+ RWHP) over a Ferrari...any day.

There never is enough.

Bryan

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good topic. And like Chris would say, this one of those eternal debates that confound tuners and enthusiasts.

Personally, I am mostly happy with the Z until I read more or see pics. So in a way, I'm influenced by others but only to window shop. When I do finally purchase something, it's on my own terms.

I don't plan my mods or my purchase window, I do it when I can and whenever a good opportunity arises.

Dave you are the ultimate window shopper.....at least when it comes to wheels! I don't know if I will live long enough to see you decide on a set. Now that you are considering FI, I don't know if any decision(s) will be made.

Modifying the car will NEVER end. I bought this car and PROMISED my wife that ONLY the following would be done:
Wheels
Exhaust
Tinted windos
maybe lowering it.

that said, I have done all of the above and:
body kit
test pipes
crank pulley
Short throw shifter
had headers and intake at one point - before I went TT
Plenum and STB
full stereo - components, sub, HU, and [email protected] amp
leather seats
APS TT kit- with full 3 pod pillar gauges + wideband

That wasn't enough, so now I am doing:
upgraded actuators on the APS kit
Koyo Radiator
new clutch/flywheel
Built lower end - Arias, Eagle, and ARP components
going with my second exhaust

To put it in a set of "cliff notes"
Bought the car with the promise of VERY FEW mods - over $30K later (add to that the price of the car) and I am still looking at new things. Car will be around 500 rwhp and I am hoping that this satisfies me for a couple yrs.

To come...who knows:
Do-luck body kit - maybe widebody with new wheels (double sixes) this may lead to....
.....CF hood - if I can find one I like
full return fuel system with larger injectors which leads to....
...retune with new EMS - maybe utec or the new aps EMS
upgraded axle shafts
another wideband - one for each bank
3" dual exhaust and test pipes
and if I win the lottery cobra misano seats
DEFINITELY a BBK..hmmm STOPTECH

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Dave you are the ultimate window shopper.....at least when it comes to wheels! I don't know if I will live long enough to see you decide on a set. Now that you are considering FI, I don't know if any decision(s) will be made.
:lmfao:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See? It's guys like Zivman that illustrate my point about the question - do other's influence your decisions on "mods."

After reading his to-date and future plans, I feel like, "****, if I only add a TT at minimal boost, I'm spending far less than he is!" Justification. :cheers:

And - I'm only looking for 400 whp.

Now - if I add the FI and achieve 400, how long will that "satisfy" me?

That - my friends - is the question. :irock:

I may need to broach this with my shrink at my next visit...

Then - (after thought) - there's the issue of how to do FI. I just came off our FI threads. Apparently, there isn't a consensus on: A) TT vs ST B) Supercharging vs TT/ST C) what brand of turbo to use.

Maybe it's time to sit back a while and see who comes out the clear winner. :shiftdrive:

Regards from the Tar Heel.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
See? It's guys like Zivman that illustrate my point about the question - do other's influence your decisions on "mods."

After reading his to-date and future plans, I feel like, "****, if I only add a TT at minimal boost, I'm spending far less than he is!" Justification. :cheers:

And - I'm only looking for 400 whp.

Now - if I add the FI and achieve 400, how long will that "satisfy" me?

That - my friends - is the question. :irock:

I may need to broach this with my shrink at my next visit...
Then - (after thought) - there's the issue of how to do FI. I just came off our FI threads. Apparently, there isn't a consensus on: A) TT vs ST B) Supercharging vs TT/ST C) what brand of turbo to use.

Maybe it's time to sit back a while and see who comes out the clear winner. :shiftdrive:

Regards from the Tar Heel.
Not very long, some last longer than others, almost everyone i've seen go F/I ends up going for more HP.

You need to bring up your love for the Blood, Sweat, and Tears band while you're there. :lmfao:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BS&T has/had the best horn section short of Tower of Power. :irock:

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha. If you're referring to my comments in the 17 year-old Z thread - play God Bless the Child and see what I'm talking about. That's who I am. I "got my own." Can you dig that?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Ha. If you're referring to my comments in the 17 year-old Z thread - play God Bless the Child and see what I'm talking about. That's who I am. I "got my own." Can you dig that?
:lmfao:

I'm just screwing with you.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No offense taken.

By the way (wayyy off topic), I was at the Original Woodstock, and stayed to see Hendirx close the weekend. Beat that, baby. :irock:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts