Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what are the differences, if any of all of these "different" engines? Are they all the same motor just tuned differently? And I'm talking about the North American 287, 300, and the JDM 276 and 290. Are all four of these motors the same, or are one or more them different motors to begin with?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
It's all the 3.5L VQ engine. The new ones are a wee bit different with more hp but less torque. I don't even consider the JDM engine since we really don't have it here to think about.

·
Registered
470 Posts
i heard they only change the lower plenum to give the track model and newer z 300 hp, but as u can see in dyno graphs it also has les torque than the 287 hp z

·
Registered
17 Posts
hi alls !

Hello from your friend in France
we have two model of engine in Europe

1° 35 th model
the engine is with variable chock with the admission and the exhaust

2° standard model

bye

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
i heard they only change the lower plenum to give the track model and newer z 300 hp, but as u can see in dyno graphs it also has les torque than the 287 hp z

Negative. There was an official NNA announcement directly confirming 35 changes to the motor. I may still have the list here. I'm back on my main computer now. Was away for a bit.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
definitely more than just a plenum change in the 300hp. It also has variable timing on exhaust (stock engine has intake only), molybendum-something coated pistons, stronger rod bolts (though all VQ35s post 2004 got this change) and higher lift cams which allow it to rev to 7000rpm and run noticeably smoother and a little quicker at higher rpm

i drove both an 04 287hp and 05 300hp back to back when buying. Power felt about the same down low, but its the smoothness revving past 4000rpm that was most noticeable for me. Felt a bit quicker because the power builds more progressively and is accelerating all the way to 7000, where the 287 ran out of breathe past 6000

·
Registered
310 Posts
Agreed with the two above. However, those twenty or so changes really boil down to all the parts needed for the new lower plenum, CVVTS on the exhaust cams/valves, the new cam lift, pistons and rods.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
from what ive read on my350, the 300hp takes to mods a little better

thereotically with the exhaust timing, you should get more out of an exhaust. Ill know soon enough when i get my Fuji muffler and Y-pipe in a couple weeks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts