Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys im thinking next mod will be the unichip

But after doing a search there is all this talk of the chip not working properly on our cars :helpsmilie:

For those Aussies that have it fitted, can you tell me what your experience was with it, how much power you've gained, was the gain noticeable?

Also, and if Peter's listening, have there been any unichip's done on the Ann engine yet? Is it going to be tricky to adjust the exhaust timing as well as intake? Or are those parameters left untouched?

And how much am i looking at?

Ive read a bit about the UTEC too, seems like more tuning potential, but who can tune the UTEC here in Melb?

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
As noted in the other thread, I may be one of the few guys that have taken their cars back to doing a dyno run after the tune. The issues I faced were how the VQ ECU reacts to certain inputs, and my tuner figuring out what to do about it.

The difference is noticable. I remember each time I took the car off the rollers after getting tuned at Croydon Racing Developments, the engine would just feel "stronger" through the entire rev range, and the throttle response would be crisper, than when I drove it there. All in all it felt like a fitter car.

From what I've heard from a non-authorative source, the Z33's ECU has 3 maps. I don't know what the third map is, but the other two are obviously "power" and "economy". The economy map actually keeps the system in closed loop, even at full throttle, so the Unichip inherently cannot provide you with gains.

To get the car in to the power map without doing an ECU reset, you need to rev 2nd gear out 4 times (and this is an authorative answer, from a friendly Nissan mechanic that's been doing quite a bit of work on the VQ). However, even if you're giving it some afterwards it might drop back in to a conservative map.

If you understand that the Unichip provides a "constant" level of input signal modification to the factory ECU, and understand the constraints that puts on what can be achieved, then the Unichip works quite well.

Jim from CRD found the optimal tune was not what he expected from his experience (I won't be posting what he said his final theory was since I told him I wouldn't), but then we weren't aware at how annoying the Nissan ECU was. I might get him to retune it to the "first" tune and see what happens.

In the Unichip's current state, I've power run the car on 2 different dynos and it makes over 180rwkW on a Dyno Dynamics dyno in Shootout Mode while the Nissan ECU is in the power map.

In the economy map, my car still pulls 165rwkW, which obviously is what the car pulled pre-Unichip installation.

The learning functions can be completely disabled via the OBD II interfacem but you should be aware that your engine will not try and go into a more conservative level of tune should something go out of whack.

·
Registered
297 Posts
my one is the Ann modle i installed the unichip in my car which got the gain from 170rwkw to 185 rwkw this is done by ART i can tell the different b4 install and after it pulls alot more in 2nd to 4th gear...but my car got the full engine back exchause installed that made a lot different as well...

·
Registered
176 Posts

But after doing a search there is all this talk of the chip not working properly on our cars :helpsmilie:

For those Aussies that have it fitted, can you tell me what your experience was with it, how much power you've gained, was the gain noticeable?

Also, and if Peter's listening, have there been any unichip's done on the Ann engine yet? Is it going to be tricky to adjust the exhaust timing as well as intake? Or are those parameters left untouched?

And how much am i looking at?

Ive read a bit about the UTEC too, seems like more tuning potential, but who can tune the UTEC here in Melb?
While it has yet to be put into production, from what I know of the UTEC it will do much more control of the Z ECU.
It has the ability to store five maps & once the map bank has been built up you will be able to download them from the net at no charge.
So theroetically if your mate in another city has the same mods & has got a good tune on the dyno he can send them to you to load into your UTEC.
All the software is free, all you need is a laptop with a serial port, theres is even talk that it will come out with a USB as all new laptops have deleted the serial port. ( a 1st for programable ECU's I believe )
It will also be a true plug & play & unlike the Unichip no wiring has to be cut & joined, so it's simply a 15 min job to put in & out.
Another + is that the rev limiter is programable so 1 of your maps can be valet or teenage map.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
my one is the Ann modle i installed the unichip in my car which got the gain from 170rwkw to 185 rwkw this is done by ART i can tell the different b4 install and after it pulls alot more in 2nd to 4th gear...but my car got the full engine back exchause installed that made a lot different as well...
Alan,

That's a pretty good gain of 15rwKW with unichip (we cannot compare the full figure as powers are pulled on diff. dyno on diff days)... normally people gain around 10 to 12rwKW with unichip... good one!

Sam,

I think it might be better for you to go for UTEC though... but I heard that you were going to go for APS TT?! Would that be a good idea as APS TT is not a self-install package in Australia and it might waste your UTEC when you put APS TT on?

Yun,

I think you should just wait for the UTEC... from the sound of it, it is truely a nice ECU for our cars!!!

I went by Nizpro lately and saw a Grey 350z roaster over there waiting for the engine rebuild... he blew his engine with Procharger installed after 2200km... so Simon is going to use motec to tune the car up and also rebuild the engine with lower comp. pistons... would really want to see how it turns out!

cheers,

richie

·
Registered
176 Posts
ok I'm sooo getting that :)

When is it coming out to OZ? :)
It does not have to come out as it is made & designed in Sydney
It's release date for the US is late November I believe.
The Sydney team are in the US for last weeks release at the giant SEMA show

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Does anyone have any online info for the UTEC?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Rich:
what i'm saying i want the Utec lol.

Pete:

Is there any Tuner around?

How much do you think it will set?

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The UTEC can be used with FI as well so if you get an APS TT you would just have the UTEC retuned to suit FI.

Future releases of the software will also allow VTC timing changes for use with huge cams :)

Not to mention its ability to fire the coils itself so you've got complete timing control, no more dynamic timing changes by the stock ECU resulting in fluctuating power readings/outputs etc.

For the functionality its a bargain, i think it will only be around US$1100.

·
Registered
498 Posts

The Unichip works perfectly on the VQ engine, after all one is just mapping to achieve the perfect ignition timing strategy and air fuel ratio for each individual engine.

Yes we have tuned a number of 35th ann cars though all have been twin turbocharged, to date I've not played with the cam timing though I very much doubt any additional power will be found by playing with the cam timing.
:cheers:

Peter

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
The Unichip works perfectly on the VQ engine, after all one is just mapping to achieve the perfect ignition timing strategy and air fuel ratio for each individual engine.

Yes we have tuned a number of 35th ann cars though all have been twin turbocharged, to date I've not played with the cam timing though I very much doubt any additional power will be found by playing with the cam timing.
:cheers:

Peter
Hi Peter,

FYI Power is not what we are after with the cam timing. Its the ability to run huge cams and maintain normal idle, low end torque and lower emissions as Richie's car demostrates with the Nismo cams, VTC pulleys and cam timing from the Motec engine management system. The extra power will come from the much larger cams that we wouldnt be able to run without cam timing. With a TT this should also make the car come onto boost quicker so you could run even larger turbos without the added lag which would normally occur. :)

There may be some small gains outside this at the top end on a stock car as I believe Nissan are trying to be as clean as possible so they wont be running much overlap at higher rpm. But this wouldnt be worth the effort and money of tuning it by itself.

·
Registered
176 Posts
ok so when can i get the UTEC, were, and who can tune it in melb
As I stated before the UTEC for the Z has not yet been released by Turbo XS but a list Vic agents can be found here www.txs.com.au/vic.htm.
As APS Peter has said the Unichip works well in the Z. On a lightly modded car it may be better than a UTEC as the stock ECU will only need a few tweeks in a few positions in the load range.
Nissan did not lock away from us untold amounts of kw's just waiting to be released.
What I like about the UTEC is the ability to write complete ignition maps for modified motors at a affordable price.
How well it works in practice, only time will tell

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Sam,

I think it might be better for you to go for UTEC though... but I heard that you were going to go for APS TT?! Would that be a good idea as APS TT is not a self-install package in Australia and it might waste your UTEC when you put APS TT on?

cheers,

richie
Guys - keep in mind that the Unichip used for a NA tune is different from that used in an APS TT tune. So if you get either Unichip or UTEC now and decide to go TT later, you will have to sell your old NA chip as a 2nd hand item.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
woooho i come home from work and this thread is firing

what a great bunch of guys u are :cheers:

i was reading up on the UTEC last night on my350, there were threads from guys who had installed it???

TurboXS is an Aussie company based in Syd?.......thats a big plus imo, i thought it was a US company and there'd be hardly anyone here to tune it

Peter how much for the unichip + tuning? Also how much power are u getting out of the Ann engine with the TT?

the UTEC does sound like the new generation of tuning, but whats it going to cost?

KY are u sure u cant use the unchip for TT and NA? I read all you'd need to do with the UTEC is purchase the optional Turbo upgrade, you still use the UTEC core

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
KY are u sure u cant use the unchip for TT and NA? I read all you'd need to do with the UTEC is purchase the optional Turbo upgrade, you still use the UTEC core
I asked this question of APS Peter when he held the TT demo day in Sydney and that is what he told me. So unless something has changed in the last year, then that is from the horse's mouth (figuretively speaking of course Peter).

·
Registered
262 Posts
thanks nizmo pete,

which one do people think will be better with na application unichip or utech,

after installing my mods ive felt a decrease in power so im hoping one of these will solve this.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Guys - keep in mind that the Unichip used for a NA tune is different from that used in an APS TT tune. So if you get either Unichip or UTEC now and decide to go TT later, you will have to sell your old NA chip as a 2nd hand item.
This is not true for the UTEC, its the same piece of hardware doing both NA and TT duties, but you might need some additional parts like a MAP sensor. So you dont have to sell it.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks nizmo pete,

which one do people think will be better with na application unichip or utech,

after installing my mods ive felt a decrease in power so im hoping one of these will solve this.
AP i remember u mentioning that in another thread

what mods do u have?

are u in Melb?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts