Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was forced to take the Z out in freezing icy **** conditions today. Don't ask, still pissed. Anyways..

I found that while being stuck in the 1/4 inch of snowy ice mix, I could get the car to move two ways. One, the more obvious way, was to feather the clutch and the gas and watch the TCS engage itself here and there. Mucho clutch usage. Didn't really like it much.

Second way, which is interesting. I just put it in 1st, eased the clutch out nice and easy, and left it engaged. Just used the gas. TCS goin nuts, but this time, not using the clutch at all.

Which way is the best? Who does what? Has anyone done it the 2nd way before?

PS - lost the ass while changing lanes at 35mph in 4th gear with TCS on. Awesome, I didn't know my Z had 1,000hp.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've done it the second way and found it much more forgiving. But then I figured out that if I turned of VDC, I could control the car better. I got caught in a snow storm and discovered that VDC on makes my car go nuts and almost lost control.

BTW, you have 1000hp at the crank....so don't get cocky.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Second way, which is interesting. I just put it in 1st, eased the clutch out nice and easy, and left it engaged. Just used the gas. TCS goin nuts, but this time, not using the clutch at all.
Which way is the best? Who does what? Has anyone done it the 2nd way before?
PS - lost the ass while changing lanes at 35mph in 4th gear with TCS on. Awesome, I didn't know my Z had 1,000hp.
generally the 2nd way.

get rid of the clutch early if possible and minimize wheel spin.

also experiment with TCS off.

with it off, you can go for glory and get things moving fairly well. And if nothing else.. do the 2nd step to get started and then keep going.

Another thing to try is to get it in 2nd gear as soon as possible after rolling. This will have lower revs and help minimize the wheel spin (tcs off)

I have had to climb an icy hill in the Z when I was caught out. It took quite a number of tries. But in the end, full steam ahead with wheels spinning got the job done. It was soo icy out I had over 4,000 rpm spinning the rear wheels inching in the garage. hahah.. that took a bit of concentration.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
1. Start the engine.
2. Turn off TCS.
3. Drive properly. :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
655 Posts
I've taken my Z out in the winter here in Buffalo, NY occasionally. I've used the following technique very successfully with this and other cars.

1. TCS off for deep snow or whenever stuck.
2. Start in 2nd gear - less torque to the rear wheels; less wheel spin.

karlh

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Some automatics have winter mode where they start out in 2nd gear on icy/slick roads, so sounds like that's a good idea to try out.

Will the TCS stall you out if you can't get moving? Or if you start in 2nd? Is the fuel cut that aggressive that it can stall you out?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Will the TCS stall you out if you can't get moving? Or if you start in 2nd? Is the fuel cut that aggressive that it can stall you out?

Yes, at times the TCS will rob any momentum you have. Because it's minimizing wheel spin. Nothing wrong with wheel spin if you need it to keep going.

I'm not sure what you mean about the fuel cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts