Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Toykilla,

It looks to me that the AOpen ones that you have posted are just barebone systems? Seems you still have to buy the processor, HDD, and RAM. Am I reading these links wrong? undefined

Did you ever decide what you're doing? I'm looking to buy all the parts for putting a PC in my Z this week. I really like the Mac Mini but there still isn't great navigation support for it.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Toykilla,

It looks to me that the AOpen ones that you have posted are just barebone systems? Seems you still have to buy the processor, HDD, and RAM. Am I reading these links wrong? undefined

Did you ever decide what you're doing? I'm looking to buy all the parts for putting a PC in my Z this week. I really like the Mac Mini but there still isn't great navigation support for it.
Yep. you are correct. I didnt realize it at the time. i am heavily leaning on going with a Mac Mini. I have too many projects ahead of this one right now though.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You should do it, it's a lot more useful than I thought it would be. I got stuck on the interstate for 2 hours last night because of a big wreck and I just played SNES the whole time. Made those 2 hours much more enjoyable :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
It looks like most people that use the Mac Mini are pretty happy with it. What software should I use if I go with that setup? I want to have navigation software, so AMP is probably out. Should I look into using Windows or Linux?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm running Windows on my Mac Mini (using Bootcamp). There just wasn't enough software out there to do what I needed. No good GPS, no OBD-II drivers/software (that I'm aware of). Not to mention my video game emulators didn't run well on the Mac :)

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
It looks like most people that use the Mac Mini are pretty happy with it. What software should I use if I go with that setup? I want to have navigation software, so AMP is probably out. Should I look into using Windows or Linux?
I thought AMP was just a front end and that you could link navigation software to it.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I thought AMP was just a front end and that you could link navigation software to it.
I think it is just a front end, but the problem is that it can'g link with nav software (or at least GOOD software that tells you where to turn and stuff). Also no OBDII support as InterlagosfireZ mentioned.

Looks like I'm going to be shopping for the Intel powered Minis... :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
for all of you on a budget (who rather build there own car pc) here is a good budget board that blows away even the via 2ghz mini-itx board

and its only 150 bucks. same price as the mini-itx 1ghz but triple the cpu power!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813153052
Yeah, so Mac Minis used to sell for $400 I thought. Now, they start at $600? wtf!

I think I'm going with something more like this mb/cpu combo that danimaldaisy has pointed out.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You wont be dissapointed running XP.

Get a SATA Hitachi drive because they have a software dos tweak that can take you're drive above and beyond typical performance levels.

if you have the cash, opt for the 60 gig 7200rpm version for like 79 bucks and get a gig of ram. for typical stuff it will be sweet. It blows away my via 1ghz that i just took out of my car.

Im looking to get my daughter a replacement computer as she is using the AMD mini board right now which i really need for the car.

just loking for a cheap athlon 64 solution for her.

good board though and only about ~ 5 watts more needed to run over the via!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you can always get a ide to flash convertor for 15~20 bucks like i did and get an 8 gig compact flash card for 79 bucks at newegg.com! Just put you're music on a thumbdrive and organize it on you're home pc, than when in you're car just connect to usb and play!!. Now if you have a rediculous amount of media this may not work for you but is a good idea to not have to worry about HDD shock!

NOTE: this acts just like a laptop harddrive! I havent seen one with a SATA interface but that adaptor would only cost you 10 bucks more from newegg.com the write times are not that great 20mb per sec. but the read time are great at around 33mbper second with NO SEEK TIME because there are no moving parts its a steady flow at 33mb per second. I have a 2 gig secure digital card in my treo rated at 50x speed and i can play music and stream video with no problems. my video player even has a benchmark and can play it 3 times as fast so there will be no lag. I got the IDE to compact flash adaptor from logicsupply.com

thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
193 Posts
The coolest gadget besides GPS navigation that I got for my CarPC so far is a 3G router + Slingbox.. Here's a picture of the 3G Router in my Z.. I bought it at BestBuy and it takes an EV-DO card for it's broadband connection... so you are essentially a rolling hot spot.. internet always on

Then, at home you buy a Slingbox (http://www.slingmedia.com/indexa.php) .. connect it to your cable system and install the Slingbox client on your CarPC.. you will be able to access your cable TV stations from almost anywhere in the country.. and the quality is excellent!

--mike

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm waiting for my contract to be up with sprint so that i can at least get a treo 700p. this way I can connect my car PC via bluetooth to the treo and share its broadband connection. Can't see paying for 3 internet connections which would be home, phone, and Car!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I posted interest about a car pc before but here is what I want to know.
I realize that most people prefer to use a non-laptop but this is a work laptop so it's more economical. Of course with it being a work laptop, I can't chop it apart.

Laptop
Windows XP Professional SP2
Lilliput 7" VGA Touchscreen 619GL-70NP LCD monitor
Regulating power supply for Lilliput

For guys that have their PC in the trunk:
How long is your VGA cable that connects to the LCD monitor?
How long is your audio cable that connects to the H/U aux inport?
Does my stock HU allow me to connect the laptop audio to my car speakers?
I have a '05 enthusiast with the non-Bose stereo system.
Oh yeah, I agree about the toy part. That's why I want to use my work laptop.
This way I spend as less money as possible.

My Granny wants me to get a GPS and I want to watch DVDs.
Well, not me watching DVDs but I think it would be neat for my passenger (when I have one) to be able to watch a movie.
I know I can get the portable GPS units, but I think it would be more authenic to have to one using the Z's built in cubby.
This all came about because my stock CD player stopped working. It doesnt play MP3s so I was going to upgrade anyway. A CD is stuck in my CD player right now. I guess even if I got one of these Kenwood DVD/MP3 players, the same think could happen with a DVD or MP3 disc so I'd be back to square one.
I thougt about getting one of these Kenwood DVD/MP3 players but then I stumbled upon what a Car PC is. At least with the Car PC I don't have to worry about my CD, DVD or MP3 disc getting stuck. Then again, I've seen a disc get stuck in a Dell laptop cd drive. You would press eject and nothing would happen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone install a INFILL G4 on a 350z with BOSE setup??? Can anyone help me out? Ive got a 2003 JDM Fairlady z, BOSE, with Nav + TV Tuner (useless as I cant read Japanese).

I plan to flush install the INFILL G4 into the existing dash where the TV currently sits, and take out the BOSE unit, replacing it with either a cubby kit (if there is any???) or just a kit to cover the empty place.

Im serious on getting the INFILL G4, question is:

1) Can the INFILL G4 unit fit into the in dash (where the Nav TV used to sit)?

2) If yes, is there a dash kit to cover the area where the BOSE 6-CD Changer used to sit?

3) I assume Ill also need to take out the Nav DVD Rom reader behind the drivers seat. Is there anything else I need to take out?

4) Can I use the existing steering wheel buttons for the INFILL G4?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys,

Im new to this board, and just came across this thread.
Currently in the process of shopping for a Z, but I have a carPC in my current car.
Probably going to be adapting it to the Z, depending on whether the one I buy has nav or not.

Anyway, just wondering, since this thread hasnt been updated in a few years, if anyone is still working on their CarPCs?

I run a Via board, 1GHz, 512MB of RAM, and an Opus 80W DC-DC power supply.
It runs Windows XP, which I have stripped down to eliminate unnecerssary processes and services.
The front-end I use is RoadRunner, which I highly recommend.
It does not "natively" support it, but I use iGuidance for Nav, and it actually integrates very well.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That would be awesome if you documented your project and shared it with us. I've always been curious about the carPC thing. I remember reading about it when I first got my Z, but that project was beyond my capability.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts