Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

41 - 60 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
well lets see.

at home while "Backing up" dvd's with dvdshrink i can rip and burn an entire movie in just under 13 min flat.

core 2 duo extreme for the ripping and my liteon 16 speed dvd burner burning tdk media AT 16 speed.

goodness it was slow from my previous computer which was an athlon xp 2000xp.

now to answer hyp[ersprites question.

the 800mhz is at idle. once it hits over 70% cpu duty cycle the second cpu kicks in and does load balancing all the way up to the hilt.

but core 2 duo's are not power hungry if you get a mobile version. and when at idle and running one core at half speed it consumes very little power.

but yeah running a 400 watt power supply in the car would be rediculous.

i was thinking that since every one is going dual core why not via??? in a low power form??

dual 1 gig?? 1.3??? 1.6???? that would be great. i'd buy it. and you would need such a cpu to enjoy vista in you're car anyway.

you guys would hate it with that 1 gig cpu by via. believe me i tried it and it sucks. even with a gig of ram.

i was kinda daydreaming about it but really think via should move to dual core.

great boards though.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
CLICK HERE!VIA EPIA VT310DP Dual Processor Motherboard.

no pricing yet

·
Registered
756 Posts
CLICK HERE!VIA EPIA VT310DP Dual Processor Motherboard.

no pricing yet
wooh?

getting a bit excited there over this. think about what the uses of a car pc is. do u need the interface of vista? why do u care for that? sure a better processer would perform better but honestly what is needed in a car pc that would task this much? to run diagnostics or just have it outputting data from the ecu does NOT require that type of power, even with elaborate looking guage designs for the look. what else would u be trying to do with this car pc? im just wondering iv never heard of anything that would require that much that u would want to run in a car pc

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is Vista that much different from XP? I mean, if they're both out, why not use Vista? The big reason I wanted to use Vista is because (from what I understand) speech recognition is fully integrated and has been greatly improved, meaning I can do voice command development in .NET without too many headaches. And if I'm planning on keeping the car around for a few years, Vista will still probably be the newest Windows out and XP is going to be less and less supported. If Vista turns out to suck, I can just not use it and boot with OS X or even XP. I like the software options of Windows vs Macs, esp software for in car use.

Personally, I'm going to try to do nav, OBDII, music, maybe phone, voice commands and web. I really like Centrafuge so far, I'll probably use that for a while. ScanTool.net has a free, open source OBDII program that I'm thinking about customizing to make it do and look how I want it to.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Is Vista that much different from XP? I mean, if they're both out, why not use Vista? The big reason I wanted to use Vista is because (from what I understand) speech recognition is fully integrated and has been greatly improved, meaning I can do voice command development in .NET without too many headaches. And if I'm planning on keeping the car around for a few years, Vista will still probably be the newest Windows out and XP is going to be less and less supported. If Vista turns out to suck, I can just not use it and boot with OS X or even XP. I like the software options of Windows vs Macs, esp software for in car use.

Personally, I'm going to try to do nav, OBDII, music, maybe phone, voice commands and web. I really like Centrafuge so far, I'll probably use that for a while. ScanTool.net has a free, open source OBDII program that I'm thinking about customizing to make it do and look how I want it to.
Because Vista is a bloated power hog. If you want the future, go with Linux.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Because Vista is a bloated power hog. If you want the future, go with Linux.
i always have linux and another OS that way im not limited but typically run linux unless im just using it for mediapurposes in which i use the other

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
and if you're going to try out linux start off with fedora core 5.

ATTENTION!!!!!

anyone able to find a compatible 7 inch touchscreen monitor to replace the discontinued one that I and hypersprite used?????

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
subscribing to topic.

the nev nav bar to subscribe to topic doesnt seem to be working

·
Registered
80 Posts
Has anyone actually fit a 7" screen into the 2006 cubby (with or without modifying the cubby)??? I saw one in place of the factory radio and I saw one that actually took out the 06 cubby and put an 03 in it's place. It was pretty sweet, but just not clean/factory looking enough for me. I really want to get a screen in there and close the door. It seems more and more like I'm going to just have to cut the cubby out and make something of my own :(

And is the Xenarc 7" that much better than the Lilliput 7"? I like the look of the Xenarc better and I think it's a better screen, but I don't know if there's good enough justification for paying the extra $120 for it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I think everyone lost interest on this topic.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I think everyone lost interest on this topic.
I'm still interested in this topic. I'm more of a hardware guy than a lot of people on these forums (who are more software-savvy). I'm still trying to figure out what you would need more powerful hardware for. So, maybe we could get a running list of functions for the carputer.

1. playing audio/video media
2. GPS navigation system
3. connect to UTEC or other engine management system
4. jump on internet through open portals when out and about (possibly to access newly downloaded media from home via ftp address)
5. transfer a/v media from home network to car computer when in the garage

anything else? I think the desktop systems I use at home and at work would definately be overkill for these types of tasks.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Skeptik, that seems like the regular stuff.

IFZ, I have seen shots of a 06 flip up cubby, with the back removed and the inside frame trimmed that fit a 7" screen.

What have I been doing with mine?

It got cold here (well 28 is cold here anyway and don't know if this caused it) and my touchscreen started acting up. It would work find until it warmed up and then it would start drifting to the edges. If I rebooted it would be fine for a bit and then break again. I mucked around with drivers for a week, hoping some MS update was the cause, tried unplugging other USB stuff to see if there was a conflict, even went back to an earlier clone to see if I could get things working right again (not wanting to take my dash apart again).

All said and done, I replaced the touch membrane and USB controller and it works like a charm. I know they are discontinued now but it turns out the Dynamix screens have the same Touch parts as the Lilliput and the LCD is Hitachi. I don't know who makes the main board or the power supply though.

One thing I think is interesting, I have two of these screens, one for my 72 Mini (its an ongoing project) and on for the Z. The Z one is about six months newer and even though they look the same, many things changed in the 6 months. The back half of the case, the layout of parts in the case was totally different, sort of an evolution. I swapped the screens and touch membrane between them because the newer one (the one with the problem) had the membrane glued on.

Anyway, I'm gonna order a new membrane first (about $40) and see if that works, if not I'll get the controller as well.

Chris

·
Registered
80 Posts
You could also do phone/bluetooth and voice commands. Along the same line as 1), you can do AM/FM radio or satellite radio, video cameras, and/or a TV tuner. Along the same line as 3), you can do OBDII and engine monitoring (in addition to engine management). What I might try to do with the OBDII is to make an estimated dyno or something. You have the speed, time, and rpms so you can figure out the acceleration and so you'd be able to figure out the power if you had the weight of the car (that's all the information a G-Tech Pro has, and it seems to print out a pretty accurate dyno). Similarly, it'd be pretty easy to do quarter mile times and 0-60 mph times as well. It'd be pretty accurate as long as as it's capturing data pretty frequently. Mmmm calculus.

The possibilities are endless! :wink:

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Yeah, now that's starting to sound a bit more tasking on the system. It would be cool if you could do the hp estimation accurately and have it displayed in real time.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yeah, now that's starting to sound a bit more tasking on the system. It would be cool if you could do the hp estimation accurately and have it displayed in real time.
wait how would that be much more tasking? and what would be the use of having a "real time hp estimate"?

im not trying to sound rude but to run those types of things wouldnt be that much more tasking, not enough to require significant changes, and aside from getting your own type of hp estimate once with say a laptop in ur garage, why would that be useful at all?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
wait how would that be much more tasking? and what would be the use of having a "real time hp estimate"?

im not trying to sound rude but to run those types of things wouldnt be that much more tasking, not enough to require significant changes, and aside from getting your own type of hp estimate once with say a laptop in ur garage, why would that be useful at all?

Well, I was just thinking that capturing data while running other applications in the background would take a pretty good system. I guess it depends on the rate that you want to caputre your data?

For me, capturing the hp output in real time would have zero benefit. It's not like you can read the data and respond while you are driving or something, HAHAHA

41 - 60 of 105 Posts