Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Will the 8" screens still fit in the cubby? I haven't gotten out my ruler yet to measure the dimensions..
Not sure about the 8" you might have to fabricate something...
But even with any of the other 7" you have to fabricate a holder in the cubby...

If its an option for you, you can get a 7" motorised in-dash touchscreen.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I think I'm also going to go the Mac Mini route. Good price, real simple, great system. I like the MacPac power cable kit, no splicing of anything for the DC-DC power! :) The less cutting of cords, the better (IMHO). Only real concern is heat at this point.

It looks like I'll definitely be doing a Windows setup. Vista looks like it's going to have some really nice features that will work great with a car PC. Windows Media Center looks like it'd be pretty nice for touch screen music (I know it's already out, but it's not in XP). Speech recognition would be awesome to get working and it's totally integrated in Vista, meaning I'll probably have to do a custom (or semi-custom) front end in .NET to get it to work. If I get it working, I'll definitely give everyone all the code/executables. Vista is supposed to be a lot prettier, but it'll probably just end up in a performance hit :) And the graphics driver in Vista is supposed to be enhanced and better. That'll be big if it works since graphics from Macs always seem so far superior to Windows. In any case, it's just software and not really a big deal at this point.

Now I just gotta figure out which monitor is going to fit nicely in the '06 cubby...
Reading MP3Car.com, many say that windows media player sucks at low resolution (which is what you will have on a 7" screen).

·
Registered
756 Posts
vista is a waste. running a version of it currently and all it does is sap resources and i just cant help but think oh hey look microsoft decided to become more like apple good job. and ya wmp isnt the best for doing a car pc. personally id say if u have the knowledge to write the majority of ur own programs to have them the way u would like. thats what i did

·
Registered
52 Posts
does anyone now of a program that would work with engine management and the car pc, i want to read the gauges on the screen in the cubby and be able to tune also, sorry i'm sure this has been aske before

·
Registered
620 Posts
I have Cipher for car management but the interface sucks on the little carpc.

I am not sure I understand all the talk above about splicing stuff in for power, no matter what you get you are going to need power, ground and ACC (or some other switched power depending on how complicated you decided to go). Those are the only three wires I have connected besides USB, Sound and VGA (that all CarPCs will need). For instance the M1-ATX came with the ATX PC plug and HDD power plugs and the ground/power/acc wires.

Chris

·
Registered
294 Posts
Newbie Question. Can you run different maps for your ECU through the use of an on board touch screen computer? If so that would be the ****.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
craz33, that's an idea that has crossed my mind as well. As far as I know, none of the major ecu's allow you to switch maps by computer (although I could be wrong). However, the UTEC does have an easy, remote, way to change maps, and I imagine others do as well. If you were to play with the switch, and new a little bit about USB interfacing, it should be possible to rig a circuit to simulate the switch on the computer. No idea what this would take though, as I haven't seen the switch used. However, the beauty of the in car PC is that you could tune on the fly, by always having the PC connected to your ecu. Come to a stop, make the neccessary changes, continue on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was talking about Windows Media Center not Media Player. Media Center is literally just a pretty UI on top of Player with large buttons that look like they'd be convenient on a small screen. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/mediacenter/default.mspx

We'll see how it works out, and if it's too slow/too ugly, I can just use OS X and then use Parallel Desktops or something if I need nav or whatever else I can't get to work well with the Mac.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just go here http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=72

There is usually a sticky with the latest version right at the top.

RR is the bomb and Guino and buddies are developing their buts off, there are new features just about every month.

Also, I have attached a reg file that turns the current users default colors to amber (closed match to the Z colors I have found) if anyone is interested, you have to remove the .txt extension to run it.

I will sun be finishing my RR skin that goes with this, I don't have a sample on this computer but I will upload one tomorrow. It is about 85% done.

On another note, and probably should be in a new thread, Up Rev (the company that makes Cipher) just released an ECU flash (you have to send it in or drive there in TX) that will let you choose from three maps on the stock ECU using the cruse control buttons.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cool, thanks for the link HyperSprite.

FYI - BestBuy is having a little "sale" on the Mac Minis (well, on a number of Apple computers/monitors). If you buy a Mini online (don't know about in store..), you get a free $100 gift card and $50 off select printers and you get free shipping. I just ordered mine :) And I know an in-car printer is pretty useless, but they had a $50 photo printer, so what the heck? I'm all about the free stuff..
The Minis on backorder, so that sucks. It should be here around the end of the month. And you don't get to customize it (this is the standard Mini, except it comes with the 80 GB hard drive). So, I might end up having to upgrade the memory from the 512 MB that it comes with (macsales.com had some pretty good prices on memory upgrades, around $120-130 for a 1 GB DIMM for the Mini)

I've probably offended a number of people here by shopping at Best Buy, but oh well, what're ya gonna do??

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Vista only sucks if you're pc is slow.

runs fine on mine.

core 2 duo extreme 2 gig ddr2 (4)x WD raptor drives in a striped set. Vista aint slow at all.

For those of you wanting a CARputer i would wait untill you could at least get a pentium D in you're Z as a minimum.

·
Registered
620 Posts
All this talk about high power machines is a waste of time, CarPCs don't run the kind of power that you want to strap a dual core etc. on. On top of that, your really not doing anything that needs tons of power. Most people run 1ghz type Via boxes, not exactly a powerhouse machine. There is a guy with a Z on mp3car right now who was trying to run a carpc with a high power graphics card and his power supply could not juice it up.

If you are running windows, what you would rather do is strip out as much of the unimportant stuff as you can. Also, if you are running a front end, you don't ever see the regular interface anyway.

Basically, the CarPC is a PC but you don't use it like you would a regular computer. MS absolutely sucks at making things finger friendly, even in their so called "tablet" version. A prime example is their made for ultra portable MS Streets and Trips, it is designed for stylus use, not fingers. So I built embedded screens for it and basically toggle off all of the apps own menus and use my own.

Chris

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
All this talk about high power machines is a waste of time, CarPCs don't run the kind of power that you want to strap a dual core etc. on. On top of that, your really not doing anything that needs tons of power. Most people run 1ghz type Via boxes, not exactly a powerhouse machine. There is a guy with a Z on mp3car right now who was trying to run a carpc with a high power graphics card and his power supply could not juice it up.

If you are running windows, what you would rather do is strip out as much of the unimportant stuff as you can. Also, if you are running a front end, you don't ever see the regular interface anyway.

Basically, the CarPC is a PC but you don't use it like you would a regular computer. MS absolutely sucks at making things finger friendly, even in their so called "tablet" version. A prime example is their made for ultra portable MS Streets and Trips, it is designed for stylus use, not fingers. So I built embedded screens for it and basically toggle off all of the apps own menus and use my own.

Chris
+1

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
i already have one of those via boards with the 1 gig cpu 512 meg ddr and a 60gig hitatchi 7200 rpm drive.

it just doesnt cut it. maybe via should come up with a dual core low power cpu.

still think a pentium d would be great. only problem is THE SIZE OF THE MOTHERBOARD!!! ARGGGGG

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
or a 2 channel raid 0 so i could stripe 2 of those 2.5 inch harddrives.

I like the nano boards but dang look at those rediculous heatsinks just to be passive.

Whatever happend to the original concept like the original 533 passive that i have running as a server with a small laptop drive.

I'm just saying a little more umph. even the core 2 duo's run really cool and if you download the mobile driver at idle it only runs one core and at half speed.

somebody needs to come up with a better mini-itx solution. I know that you guys would be satisfied with that 1 gig board but when you are tied to a desk like me with a nice setup it gets a little irritating you know what i mean.

iright now in my car i am using my laptop i just got.

dual core athlon 1.8 loaded. got it cheap through my delta employee discount. now it's not rediculous like my core 2 setup but its the sweetspot for me.

it will only be a matter of time before someone finally gets high power into a small form factor low power setup.

and room in the Z is limited anyhow.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
you know it really sucks that they dont make that touchscreen anymore. what am i going to do if mine breaks!!!!

·
Registered
620 Posts
What is the point of running a dual core chip on one core and half speed?

What are you doing that needs that kind of power?

I am not saying everybody is using VIAs, but a lot of people do.

I am running a mobile AMD 2400+ on a micro-atx board, 80gb drive on 512mb and so far there is nothing I can't do.
Personally, I can't believe my car has more power than the desktop I had back in '00.

Chris

21 - 40 of 105 Posts