Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Althought I am a :newbie: I'd like to send a quick "thank you" for the speaker install tutorial on this site. My 2005 350Z (Base) in Chrome Silver now has:

Clarion DXZ655MP CD/MP3 receiver

JL Audio XR650-CSi 6 1/2" component speakers

Installing the driver's side speakers was not too hard. Destroying the OEM woofer to make the speaker adapter was stressful, but it did work beautifully. Finding a good spot for the huge crossover was a 3-time trial and error exercise. Everntually, it fit fine, vertically, at the 10 o'clock position of the woofer.

When I worked on the passenger side door, I installed the crossover in the same spot that worked on the drivers side. DOOP. The doors aren't the same; the upper part of the passenger door handle was unable to bolt onto the door frame as the my newly installed crossover covered the bolt hole. Repositioning the crossover at the 12 o'clock position of the woofer, but rotating the crossover 45 degrees counter-clockwise, made the whole shebang fit together nicely.

Wow, does my stereo sound better.

Again, thanks for the help. :yourock:

exu2boy
Orlando, FL

·
Registered
4 Posts
Althought I am a :newbie: I'd like to send a quick "thank you" for the speaker install tutorial on this site. My 2005 350Z (Base) in Chrome Silver now has:

Clarion DXZ655MP CD/MP3 receiver

JL Audio XR650-CSi 6 1/2" component speakers

Installing the driver's side speakers was not too hard. Destroying the OEM woofer to make the speaker adapter was stressful, but it did work beautifully. Finding a good spot for the huge crossover was a 3-time trial and error exercise. Everntually, it fit fine, vertically, at the 10 o'clock position of the woofer.

When I worked on the passenger side door, I installed the crossover in the same spot that worked on the drivers side. DOOP. The doors aren't the same; the upper part of the passenger door handle was unable to bolt onto the door frame as the my newly installed crossover covered the bolt hole. Repositioning the crossover at the 12 o'clock position of the woofer, but rotating the crossover 45 degrees counter-clockwise, made the whole shebang fit together nicely.

Wow, does my stereo sound better.

Again, thanks for the help. :yourock:

exu2boy
Orlando, FL

I'll second that. I've been working on my install almost a week and the tutorials have been of great help.
3 amps
6.5" double din unit/DVD player
5 speakers
surround sound

·
Registered
176 Posts
good news josh....
Good Tutorial, and i like the use of the old speaker as it seems to solve alot of the spacing problems. I do have some questions though.

1. What is an acceptable mounting depth for new components without the use of a spacer?
2. How is the sound with changing out factory locations? From what i've seen the grill only covers part of the speaker, and the rest of the speaker is just covered by the door panel. This doesnt look like it would sound all that great no matter what you put in there.
3. What amp are you using for these and where did you mount it? I'm having trouble locating a good 4 channel amp to power a semi-decent component/coaxial setup that will fit in any kind of hidden location. Perhaps there is a typical location for this?

Also, i do not want to take up my entire trunk with a sub, actually would like to leave the trunk empty. What does everyone recommend? i want good sound and no rattles.

yea its alot of questions, but i'm new

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
1. What is an acceptable mounting depth for new components without the use of a spacer?
I have not measured this specifically. However when using the speaker as a spacer combined with the Infinity Perfect speakers, there is almost zero clearance. Without the spacer they would not fit. You will need SOME type of spacer because the hole in the door is too big to stick a speaker in.

2. How is the sound with changing out factory locations? From what i've seen the grill only covers part of the speaker, and the rest of the speaker is just covered by the door panel. This doesnt look like it would sound all that great no matter what you put in there.
Sound is fine with the location. The driver in the door is for midbass which passes through the door panel just fine. A tweeter wouldnt be so good behind there though.

3. What amp are you using for these and where did you mount it? I'm having trouble locating a good 4 channel amp to power a semi-decent component/coaxial setup that will fit in any kind of hidden location. Perhaps there is a typical location for this?
I recommend a 2 channel amp to power the front speakers only. There is no reason to put an amp on the rear speakers. I have taken my rear ones out for better sound imaging. You can fit a 2 channel under the seats or in the stock sub location.

Also, i do not want to take up my entire trunk with a sub, actually would like to leave the trunk empty. What does everyone recommend? i want good sound and no rattles.
Then you will want to use the stock sub location then. A well build box will sound good there with no rattles.

·
Registered
176 Posts
good information! What about using a 6.75" speaker instead of 6.5? Just asking because on different manufacturer sites they list 6.75-7" as fitting with no modifications in the 350 doors. I never thought about just powering the 2 fronts...interesting.

As far as the sub, i've seen people put a basslink in the stock sub location behind the seat. Does this sound decent? And how are rattles with this?

btw, thanks for the quick response. Good to see as im coming from honda-tech which is so huge you get a response quick to anything, and i was wondering if the 350 community would be the same.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Good Tutorial, and i like the use of the old speaker as it seems to solve alot of the spacing problems. I do have some questions though.

This may give you a good idea on how to setup a fairly decent system in the Z. I had an under the strut bar box with a JL10w3 in it with a JL 300/2 bridged pushing it. I also had another JL 300/2 on a pair of Infinity Perfect 6.1's (6 1/2" speakers). The sub and the amps took up very little trunk space and was a very clean install.

http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...=6675&hl=stereo
http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/index.php?...=4794&hl=stereo

Here is a good tutorial that I followed exactly on how to install the components:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutorial:Fr...er_Installation

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
havnt seen any 6.75-7" speakers. The basslink is very popular and serves its purpose well. Good bass at a good price. The rattles are sometimes hard to track down and will be differen from car to car. Location of the sub will not contribute much to rattles.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
good information! What about using a 6.75" speaker instead of 6.5? Just asking because on different manufacturer sites they list 6.75-7" as fitting with no modifications in the 350 doors. I never thought about just powering the 2 fronts...interesting.

As far as the sub, i've seen people put a basslink in the stock sub location behind the seat. Does this sound decent? And how are rattles with this?

btw, thanks for the quick response. Good to see as im coming from honda-tech which is so huge you get a response quick to anything, and i was wondering if the 350 community would be the same.

I also had a basslink in my Z before I switched to the other setup and it sounded pretty good. Nothing extreme, just a nice little thump.

Attachments

·
Registered
176 Posts
havnt seen any 6.75-7" speakers. The basslink is very popular and serves its purpose well. Good bass at a good price. The rattles are sometimes hard to track down and will be differen from car to car. Location of the sub will not contribute much to rattles.

I believe polk makes some 6.75's and i've seen a few other companies with 7's. I just assumed the door hole was a regular 6.5.

Yea, i dont need any extreme bass. I had one good 10 in my civic and that was plenty for me. I just like something to pick up the lows and give me a little bump. I'm glad to hear it sounds good, but i'd definately want to try and mount it in the stock sub location to hide it a bit more and make it look more clean. I wonder if the new basslinkII has the same dimensions as the original that i know fits. If so, it will have expansion capabilities for a 50x4 amp to power front speakers.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I believe polk makes some 6.75's and i've seen a few other companies with 7's. I just assumed the door hole was a regular 6.5.

Yea, i dont need any extreme bass. I had one good 10 in my civic and that was plenty for me. I just like something to pick up the lows and give me a little bump. I'm glad to hear it sounds good, but i'd definately want to try and mount it in the stock sub location to hide it a bit more and make it look more clean. I wonder if the new basslinkII has the same dimensions as the original that i know fits. If so, it will have expansion capabilities for a 50x4 amp to power front speakers.
It is rare to find any car that uses a "standard" aftermarket speaker size.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It is rare to find any car that uses a "standard" aftermarket speaker size.

Like i said....I come from a honda civic. Everything is pretty much direct bolt up application.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

I know you can install the basslink in the stock sub location. My friend did it in his Z. Kind of a pain but worth it once its done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts