Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently looking at buying a set of test pipes for my Z and the Helix pipes seem to be the cheapest (around$175). I already have the Borla Dual Exhaust and I need to know if the test pipes will make it sound too raspy. The Borla has a nice sound but it is a little quiet for me and I would like to free up some horsepower. I dont mind if its a little loud but i dont want it to sound like a rice burner.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've got the Helix pipes mated with the stock exhaust, plus I have the JWT pop charger and Crawford plenum. When I get on it and drive like a bat out of ****, it sounds awesome (i.e. no rasp). The raspiness everyone talks about lasts for about 1 second. It sounds like a Porsche or BMW, if that helps. Go for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx for the advice. I definitly wouldnt mind that "exotic" type sound. The test pipes seem to be one of the cheapest ways to free up horsepower, so as long as it sounds good I will most likely order a set. BTW was the install tough if you did it yourself?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Install was relatively easy. Just pay attention to what you're doing. Oh, and disconnect the battery before you do it; negative terminal.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I think it will sound awesome. I don't think it will be ricey at all since the Borla is only a little bit deeper than stock and is not a loud or raspy exhaust.

I think it will sound great! Get some before and after sound clips!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, thanks a lot for the input guys. I just ordered a set of the Helix test pipes from hopupracing for $175 shipped. If I can figure out how to post some sound clips I will be sure to put up a before and after.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That's where I got my pipes from. Good job.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
i have the borla with teh kinetix test pipes with resonators and it sounds awesome!! toykilla had just the test pipes and it sounded raspy so thats why i went with the resonated ones. there are some videos i posted of me driving by

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
No SES light from my car, but I have an 03. I hear it's an issue with later models.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Originally posted by SmoothZ@Jun 15 2005, 07:51 AM
No SES light from my car, but I have an 03.  I hear it's an issue with later models.
[snapback]114443[/snapback]​

Is their anyways to like resonate my invidia test pipes because they are pretty raspy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by JTS2005@Jun 15 2005, 11:12 AM
yea you can buy the resonators and then have a local shop weld them in
[snapback]114521[/snapback]​

when u guys first installed your test pipes did it cause your exhaust to smoke. i have test pipes and stock exhaust.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by zman813+Jun 26 2005, 02:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JTS2005
@Jun 15 2005, 11:12 AM

when u guys first installed your test pipes did it cause your exhaust to smoke. i have test pipes and stock exhaust.
[snapback]122138[/snapback]​

I might have had a little smoke due to me using some anti-seizing paste. But it didn't last long, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hopefully, you installed it correctly and didn't forget the gaskets between the pipes and exhaust system.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Originally posted by zman813+Jun 26 2005, 12:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-JTS2005

yes, the test pipes will cause smoke when you first put them on.. cant remember how long it will last, but its not too long

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA+Jun 26 2005, 07:37 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 12:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JTS2005

yes, the test pipes will cause smoke when you first put them on.. cant remember how long it will last, but its not too long
[snapback]122280[/snapback]​

thanks toykilla they been on for about a day and a half and im just about ready to take them off. they do make ethe stock exhaust sound bad as **** i just cant take the smoke and everybody stareing at my car like it a piece of sh*t

·
Registered
467 Posts
Originally posted by zman813+Jun 26 2005, 06:28 PM-->
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2005, 12:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-JTS2005

[snapback]122280[/snapback]​

thanks toykilla they been on for about a day and a half and im just about ready to take them off. they do make ethe stock exhaust sound bad as **** i just cant take the smoke and everybody stareing at my car like it a piece of sh*t
[snapback]122298[/snapback]​

Is it really that bad? Has it gotten any better after a week or so??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts