Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had a great day. I have looked at probably 2,000 pictures of Z's over a year or so. I love this car so much, I am getting it in February '05 (I was going to order but I decided to just get one from a local dealer that was a close-match) (Redline, Enthusiast). Today, my brother decided he was going to be nice and test drive a 350Z for me to get to ride in it and drive it a little. I had the Z interior stamped into my head of what it looks like, so when I got in, it was just like applying those pics to an actual car, the gauges on the dash in the middle are bigger than they look like in pics though. I love the button to open the hatch. The storage behind the passenger seat is less than I thought it was, the false floor is cool.

We test drove it for 4 hours.
He said it shifts faster than his '03 GT (he has intake, full-length headers, tb, exhaust, x-pipe, short shifter, and pulleys). 3rd gear was 84mph at the very top. What I think is amazing is how smooth everything is, but it goes so fast so quick, 110 feels like 85mph. 130 you can notice the ground moving a lot faster but still doesn't feel that fast. I didn't know about the timer on the electronic gauge. There is plenty of space from what I can see. He barked the tires in 4th once, but could bark it in every gear to third every time. The steering is tight. The kneepads on the dash are cool. The air vents are nice. The air control system is nice, very smart (it automatically switches to take-in outside air if you turn up the temp. past the outside temp.). I wish I would have had more time, I wanted to drive it some more (only got about 5 minutes, didn't get but 2 good shifts, stalled 3 times). The clutch is cool though, you don't have to push it as far in as my brother's '03 GT. He liked it, which I thought was cool, because he underestimated it, he didn't really like it before he test drove it, at the end he said he loved it.

I love it. I can't wait to get it. The stereo sounds like it would be fine until I can upgrade it. The brakes are great, no body shifting when you stop (where the back end jerks back when you stop), the braking was smooth also. We test drove an '04 (I think it was '04) Silverstone Enthusiast Manual, exactly like what I am going to get except '05 and Redline. The cupholders aren't that great though. And the space where the subwoofer is on the higher models could be helpful, so I will replace that cover with the door and put carpet in there. The salesman wasn't very interested in selling it obviously, he was a jerk (he's only been working 4 months, he thinks he's got it down), my brother knew the finance manager luckily though and asked him for the key's (the salesmen ignored him). I'm 15 so I guess they don't take me as serious, but they will when I tell my Mom that we need to walk out if they are a jerk when I get it.

I can't wait to get it, and can't wait to start the modding. Enough about telling you guy's about your own car.
This car pulls so much stock, I can't wait to mod it and have it pull even harder. But, hope this helps anyone planning on getting one but haven't test drove it yet. We put about 130 miles on it
. I've planned out my mod list and when to purchase what mods in what order, now all I need is the Z
. BTW, i'm 5'11" and I had more headroom and legroom than in the '03 GT. 3 kids came up at school to look at it
, but who needs superficial friends (when I get it i'm sure there will be a few).

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
No offense dude, but test driving a car for 130 miles is kind of a sh!tty thing to do. Not to the dealership, but to the person who's going to buy it

On the bright side, glad you finally got to actually get in the car for the first time and still love it

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was about 35 miles there and 35 miles back, we're going to buy from them anyway, they can spare the miles.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">You drove the car 70 miles to and from your house? And seriously, if I had to buy a Z from a dealer with 130 miles on it as new, I'd be pissed as ****, regardless of whether or not the dealer can afford it. Not cool

What did the dealership say when they saw that?</span>

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
I agree with Dirn on that one. No way in **** I would buy a new car with over 100 miles on it. I didnt like that mine had 10 when I got it. Especially with the way it was driven. I know that thing hit redline quite a few times

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Mine only had 4! Driven only be me and the guys who did the loading and unloading
</span>

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Bro, I'm very happy to hear that you liked the Z. You are 15 years old. If you have not had another car before this one the chances of you wrecking the car and injuring yourself and/or someone else are relatively high. I know you've got your mind set on this car and are going to get it no matter what, and if I was you and your age I would do the same thing.

You sound like a smart guy and me, we, all drivers around you ask is that you use your brain AT ALL TIMES.

Don't mean to wrant, but I don't want to hear about you wrecking your Z. Best of luck with your soon to be new car and enjoy... but safely.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I did not drive it but five minutes before we took it back. He drove it the 35 miles both ways. They didn't have a demo, so he got the next best thing. Neither one of you are buying that Silverstone, so chill.
I hope i'm not coming off as a spoiled jerk, I noticed a few comments I made, sounded like it was coming from a spoiled kid. I just don't like taking bs from people thinking I can't go to another dealer at the drop of a hat, especially since I most likely know twice as much about that car than they do.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Is he your brother or someone from the dealership?

And I'm not saying you sound like a spoiled jerk. I just don't think it's cool to test drive a car for 100+ miles, unless he is someone from the dealership

·
Registered
254 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Oct 16 2004, 01:05 AM
<span style="color:darkblue">Mine only had 4!  Driven only be me and the guys who did the loading and unloading
</span>

Hey Dirn, Likewise here. Mine only had 7 and I still hate the idea of leaving it at a dealer......Dave

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He is friend's with the finance manager, the finance manager agreed the salesman was being a jerk. Ok, back on topic to admiring the Z

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">So his is your brother.
But seriously, did anyone at the dealership say anything at all about the mileage?

And why February? Is that when your birthday is? How do you know what they'll have in stock then?</span>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Thats cool dude. I am in the same boat as you are in.. Except my dad got the Z when it had 2,500 miles on it not BRAND new. but still new.

The worst part is getting it, and not being able to drive it!! I still have a year until I get my license. But my pops has no problem driving it daily. lol. This winter it is sitting in the garage, and mods will start coming.

Good luck on the Z. Getting silverstone? best color evar! haha. jk.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They didn't start the car until after we left.
February is a month before my birthday, I want to get used to the clutch before I can drive it by myself. My brother told me I would have to pay full sticker...that we couldn't drive the price down any, so I am just going to purchase one on the lot. If they don't have one on the lot, i'll get them to try to find one near them, if they can't i'll go to another dealer semi-close and try again. I'm getting a Redline Enthusiast. Good thing is though, both my parents don't like manual and when the mods start coming they won't be able to stand driving it
(tranny mods going to come first, that clutch won't be easy to keep from stalling,
).

·
Registered
909 Posts
WOW, that's quite a test drive. When I test drove my Z I think I only put like 5 miles on it and that's all that I needed before retturning to the lot and getting it. (long story short)
If this is your first car ****, not too shabby.
Just be careful because this car will get you in a lot of trouble or worse HURT.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by BlueDragonZ@Oct 17 2004, 04:47 AM
When I test drove my Z I think I only put like 5 miles on it and that's all that I needed before retturning to the lot and getting it.

I was ready to talk numbers without even test driving the car, but I guess the salesman wanted me to be sure, so I took her out for 3 miles, and it was only 3 because the road he told me to take her on was 3 miles long. Haha

·
Registered
790 Posts
I am the only person that has driven my car other than the guy who pulled it off the truck!

It pays to work at a dealership when buying a new car!

PS - that is one **** of a demo - I do not think that I would waste my time doing all that driving unless I was going to sell that car that day. I try not to spend more than 5 minutes with people who are buying in 5 months - they can come back closer to the time they want to buy.

Zach
~Z~

·
Registered
806 Posts
Not cool to put that many miles on a new car. I doubt the dealer can ever sell it new and it'll probably be heavily discounted as a demo. I test drove the Z for under 5 miles and offered to take it back because I knew that my mind was made.

Dirn, my car had 13 miles when I picked it up. I was like where the f did these miles come from? I mean, about 2-3 miles comes from EPA tests when the car is unloaded from the ship (or at least I was told). At least I had the dealer leave on the white protective film on the body panels so I know they didn't take it on public roads. Or so I think...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Al, you ordered the car, right? So it's not like people would've been test driving it. Man, imagine if they let someone test drive your Z, And imagine if they had put 100+ miles on it. Oh man That's like a
</span>

1 - 20 of 41 Posts