Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

TECH COURSE: Clutches

5K views 46 replies 15 participants last post by  p-rat 
#1 ·
Ok, this is a new concept and its still in early development. I hope that everyone will take the time to read this course and post comments here. Good/bad i dont care.. I need the feedback to make future classes better. Hopefully these classes are useful.

We tried to give the basics of what a clutch is, what you need to know when buying one, and all the clutches are available. A few specs are missing on some of the clutches, but they are becoming hard to find.

Read up and let me know what you think. Your feedback will shape the future of these classes.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tech_Course:101_Clutches

This thread will be used as the "classroom" with questions and answers so please participate! No question is dumb.

#4 ·
Very nice! :clap: Lots of really helpful info. Favorite parts were the "clutch types" and the "recommendations" page

But on the recommendations the Tilton clutch was mentioned. Do yall have any info on it (I searched Tilton's site and couldnt find anything)?

#5 ·
The recommendation page, imo, isn't 100%.. it's just a guide. We will continue to work on it. And try to provide factual data. Personally, I was hoping the recommendations would come down to discussion, and not just black and white.

Which Tilton are you looking for info on?

What kind I help you with?

to my knowledge; Tilton offers:

Full street
Semi street
Twin Disc carbon

#6 ·
Tilton Full and semi street are not recommended for FI. The twin will handle just about anything you throw at it.

The Full and semi street weight in at approx 16lb total weight (including flywheel).

The full and semi run about $1000. The Twin runs just under $3000. (includes flywheel in all applications)

http://www.fairladyz33.com/temp/revafter.avi <-- this is the tilton street/semi

We are also continually expanding the Wiki Tech pages.. So even know the Tilton info isn't on there now, it will be on there soon. :)

#7 ·
Ah, thank you very much. Haha, that was a nice vid. That thing is revving so fast.

But ive just been looking around at clutches for FI, dont have this done yet... and probably wont for a while haha. But I was just gathering info.

What do you think about the RPS six puck clutch? Do you think it could handle FI?

#8 ·
I have no experience with RPS. The specs look like they will handle FI.. :dunno: Sorry, I don't like commenting on things I haven't done.

Mike Mahaffey of AAM uses a carbon/carbon in his 10 second VR4. He likes it.

I am more into Japanese clutches.. (exedy, orc, etc.) :)

RPS website: http://www.turboclutch.com

#10 ·
Ah, thank you very much. Haha, that was a nice vid. That thing is revving so fast.

But ive just been looking around at clutches for FI, dont have this done yet... and probably wont for a while haha. But I was just gathering info.

What do you think about the RPS six puck clutch? Do you think it could handle FI?
The RPS 6-puck flywheel/clutch combo will definitely hold up to most forced induction applications. This setup was recommended to me by Darren from Intense Motorsports. Its a great clutch and not very expensive.

I will do a little more work on the 350z clutches page. Thanks for the feedback so far..

#11 ·
I'm not a car mechanic, but I am mechanically inclined and how things work interests me. But I could barely get through the how a clutch works section. It really needs pics. Without pics for a n00b like myself you could have called everything a doohicky, and it would have read the same to me.

I don't know if the exploded view of a clutch assembly would help but it might. With arrows pointing to the parts you are referencing?

Just a suggestion, and again the wife is trying to drag me to Wal-mart so my concentration isn't at its peak.

Overall I think this classes are great, it will hopefully limit the "what (insert aftermarket part here) should I buy . . . suggestions?" posts. They could go right to the tutorial.

Keep up the good work! :irock:

#14 ·
Your course on Clutches is excellent.

The note on Motorcycle clutches is worthwhile and interesting.

The listing of different Manufacturer specs, applications, and suggested retail and actual prices is especially valuable.

Great addition to 350 Z tech!!!
thanks, we will continue to improve the courses until perfect

#23 ·
where's moldy, ruf, kshep, pam, etc..:??

can you get them out of the PW thread and over here please jinxxxxy ? :wub:
Terri woke the PW's up....so what's all this about? Ahhhh...clutches. I've heard about those pesky things...and I think there is some kinda clutch do-dad in my 5AT but not like the one you are discussing here. When you get around to valve body upgrades and options I'll be back.

Moldy works his clutch like butter on hot bread so I doubt he'll need a new one for some time.

#24 ·
I have to say that I truely like the ideas of the classes section on the site. Its a good place for the not so mechanically inclined person to learn a little more before they just go out and buy something that they might not necessarily need for their car.
This was the premis behind the classes. This is only the first one and I am looking for as much feedback as possible to make future ones better. Even the AT guys need to read through it because the next course may cover something you are interested in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.