Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, after taking the advice I got on this board, using what I already knew, and watching the adds like a hawk I ended up with a system in my car. It took months to install everything and just tonight I can say I am done with the hardware side.

Here is what I ended up with,

Clarion DXZ845MC
Hyphonics Zeus 8000 5 channel amp
Polk db6500 separates for the front
Polk db650 coaxial (with the tweeters disconnected) for the back.
Polk GNX104 10" sub in a fiberglass box in the left corner
All hooked up and working with no whining or hiss.

Now it is time to tune it.
I set all the gain inputs to about 30%, the volume approximates what I got out of the head unit with the front speakers directly attached.

The amp has built in Hi Pass filter on the front channel, Hi and Low Pass on the back channel and Low Pass, bass gain adjustments.

The HU has separate bass outs with it's own gain, Low Pass, and bass Q.

I have a 1991 IASCA CD, yeah, that's how long it's been since I built my last system and an SPL meter, also circa 1991.

Where do I start and what cross over frequencies should I be aiming for and lastly, what is Q again? The adjustment is Q1, Q1.25, Q1.50 and Q2.

Hope this is enough info to get this thread going, I am going to bed, I'll post some pics in the morning for reference.

Chris

PS: the Polk db650s (should have gotten the db675s I guess) were to small for the back so I had to build rings for them, not that it matters for this conversation, just so nobody thinks they are a slam dunk and goes out and buys them.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Now that was a good tutorial.

However, it leaves out the idea of finding the optimal high/low pass point. He covered it a little on the sub part, but completely glossed over it on the mid-high part.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
The tutorial worked great for me. My system sounds so much better now

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
'Q' is the bandwidth of your EQ adjustment. A narrow 'Q' affects a narrow band of frequencies, wider affects more frequencies. Whatever freq. you are adjusting, the 'Q' shows as a wide (or narrow) bell curve, with that freq. as the center.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
lionkiller is right.. the Q is "how much" bass is affected by the bass boost.

for instance if set it narrow, turning up the bass boost will affect only those specific notes (60hz for example), but a wider Q will make the bass seem a little more "loose" and a wider range of freqencies will be affects ( 50-70hz for example)

these are all great questions and i will include them in our upcoming audio FAQ. I may include some additional information in the tutorial as well, but it becomes difficult when every amplifer has different setting and possible configurations..

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am going to run this tutorial over the weekend. I have always struggled to tune in my basslink correctly and I don't think Infinity's page on the matter helped much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey, nice system.

I'm looking at the DXZ845MC but I want to know if the display is a LCD monitor type display. I want to know what it looks like when listening to Sirius especially. For instance does the display switch to a full screen display showing something more like the dedicated receivers?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts