Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my brakes are starting to squeal a lil bit and I've started the hunt for new brake pads. I recall reading somewhere that once a rotor has been used with pads of one type of material (i.e. ceramic for OEM) that it was not OK to use a pad of a different material, such as a semi-metallic. The reasoning was something about contamination on the surface of the rotor, but I can't remember and am possibly talking out my ass.

So the question goes: if I get a new set of Hawk HPS pads (which appear to be a metallic pad), is there anything special I need to do with the stock rotors? have them turned? replaced?

Your help is appreciated.

L8r,
TR

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would have them brought to a machine shop/parts store and checked for runout. This will tell you if there are existing deposits on the rotors. If there are, they can resurface.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
I have used the Hawks before and been reasonably happy. They do create some dust and if you plan to do any track days please be aware that while they are sufficient for street driving, they are less than optimal for any kind of track day. Also I found that they arent that great when I ran the Tail of the Dragon either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your replies. It seems that whatever I've heard is either not true or won't cause a problem. I would *like* to start taking my car to the track, but ultimately it is my daily driver and I have to equip it as such. Most of the stuff I've read is that if you're serious about taking it to the track, I should be switching out the brake pads with track-specific pads anyways..

I did have one question for Z1 Performance, tho:
I'm not saying you're wrong or contradicting your post, but I'm curious why I would want to check runout in this case? Isn't runout to make sure the rotors don't pulsate? I currently don't get any sort of vibration or pulsation feeling through the pedal, just the squeelers

Thanks again!
TR

·
Registered
182 Posts
QUOTE (The_Ref @ Dec 9 2008, 04:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=562477
Thanks all for your replies. It seems that whatever I've heard is either not true or won't cause a problem. I would *like* to start taking my car to the track, but ultimately it is my daily driver and I have to equip it as such. Most of the stuff I've read is that if you're serious about taking it to the track, I should be switching out the brake pads with track-specific pads anyways..

I did have one question for Z1 Performance, tho:
I'm not saying you're wrong or contradicting your post, but I'm curious why I would want to check runout in this case? Isn't runout to make sure the rotors don't pulsate? I currently don't get any sort of vibration or pulsation feeling through the pedal, just the squeelers

Thanks again!
TR
because your pads are bedded into your rotors. But you are putting new pads in now, and as such, rotors should at the very least be checked

·
Registered
331 Posts
QUOTE (Z1 Performance @ Dec 9 2008, 08:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=562495
because your pads are bedded into your rotors. But you are putting new pads in now, and as such, rotors should at the very least be checked
My hawk pads squeak first thing in the morning when cold.
Other then that they are fine.....huge improvement on dust

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have a set of HPS's on my front brakes. They dust a lot less than OEM pads- I've skipped washing the wheels every other car wash because they were so clean.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
QUOTE (zi0matrlx @ Jan 27 2009, 02:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=566746
I have a set of HPS's on my front brakes. They dust a lot less than OEM pads- I've skipped washing the wheels every other car wash because they were so clean.
Less dust = faster worn rotors because they are taking all the abuse now!

·
5,437 Posts
^^ Very good point for you guys to understand. You really need to make sure the rotor and pad compounds are compatible. Personally I'm running a set of EBC Greens and they have been great. Took about 8 60-10mph cycles to see any fade while I was bedding them. And that was steppin on them HARD.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I will be ordering a set of Carbotech AX6 pads monday when i get a chance to call. I rode with a guy at Zdayz last year and I was really impressed with the performance.

I will be having my rotors turned before installing them, to start fresh.

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
one thing i did notice with this set of hawks over the last set i had. seems they made the pad better or something because my last set squeaked all the time but this set has not squeaked at all. not sure why

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a set of Hawk pads and love the fact they barely leave dust on my wheels but man they keep squeakin like crazy and it's freakin' annoying! Especially when you pull up to a traffic light!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts