Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am pissed off
!!! i am so anal when it comes to washing my car and i noticed when it was really sunny out today that i saw some swirl marks. i know SB shows every dam scratch, but I think i can get it buffed out. i am not gonna even attempt to do it as i will screw it up. any suggestions or advice on how to go about fixing this or finding a company to do it for me?
thx
-jay

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
contact bankheist on my350z .. he knows alot of people in the dallas/ft worth area that could help im sure..

they can be buffed out but i am not sure how to keep them from returning

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
You can get them out yourself! Don't sell yourself short J! Go to
Autopiaand do a search on swirl marks. There are TONS of thread regarding the removal of swirl marks, even on black cars. That site is REALLY great. I don't think you have to sign up? Maybe, but it's free, and really really really informative. Good Luck!

I think it is basically impossible to keep the micromarring off your paint, but there are great products out there to fill or reduce them or remove them completely. Are you using microfiber to wash/wax/seal? The 2-bucket wash method? Waffle weave to dry? How are you washing your microfiber? I didn't even know there was a right and a wrong way to wash my car wash stuff until Autopia. Actually the site is a little addicting, my detailing product stash has doubled in size since joining that site.
Hope you can get the swirl marks out! Maybe take a pic of the swirl marks and post it over there, someone will def. help ya out....do a search first tho.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TK i will ask him if i need to go that route. i use the microfiber mit and towels that i ordered online from an autodetail place. How are you suppose to clean the microfiber mit when done? i have never used anything else besides the microfiber. i also use the absorber to dry, maybe thats my problem!! o well i guess i ll go over to autopia and read.
thx guys

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I used to use the absorber too with great results. But if you have any dust that has blown onto the car b4 using the absorber, you are dragging that dust across the finish. With the waffle weave microfiber drying towel these microscopic particles get trapped in the fibers and reduce the number of swirl marks you will get.

Washing microfiber: I use warm water, some people there use hot or cold. Most impt use liquid detergent--woolite works well--take some oxyclean and dissolve it in hot water b4 putting it in with the detergent. Run the rinse cycle twice to get out any soap residue (I also use a downy ball w/distilled vinegar in the final rinse to get out as much residue as possible). Then dry on low heat without a softening agent---ie/bounce--this will leave a waxy substance on your microfiber and will cause streaking the next time you use it. Just the way I do it, you can do a search over there for this too---search away! Have fun!

Since my baby is in the shop and I just learned this method, I haven't tried it but you can bet I will be doing the 2 bucket wash method. One bucket with clean water, one bucket with water and carwash soap. Dip your mitt in soap, soap down a panel, rinse mitt in clean water b4 more soap. This will cut down on grit in your wash bucket. You could also put a "grid" about 1 inch above the bottom of both buckets that will trap the grit below the "grid" so it isn't floating around in there.

Just some suggestions, I am in no way shape or form an expert on these things, but Autopia has taught me some methods for an even SHINIER Z!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jay,

I agree with jinxxycat. You can really do it yourself. Get a good random orbital polisher and go for it.

I have 2 black cars and swirl marks are a part of life. I used Menzerna Intensive Polish with my porter cable polisher then go over it with Blackfire 2 stage system. Both cars look great. It takes very little time to get used to porter cable. I'll never go back to waxing by hand.

Good luck.

Marc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts