Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, i am trying to figure out what happens when you adjust sway bars. Overall going stiffer prevents body roll in turns. My questions:

What does adjusting the front do?

What does adjusting the rear do?

If i stiffen the rear only, will there be more understeer or oversteer? What about the front?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ok, i am trying to figure out what happens when you adjust sway bars. Overall going stiffer prevents body roll in turns. My questions:

What does adjusting the front do?

What does adjusting the rear do?

If i stiffen the rear only, will there be more understeer or oversteer? What about the front?
Decrease stiffness in the front to reduce understeer
Decrease stiffness in the back to reduce oversteer. So when you increase the stiffness (in the back) you inturn to increase the oversteer
It can actually cause the tires to lift off the ground during a hard turn, if you have excessive stiffness

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I am very interested in this as well. Have hotchkis sways sitting in the dining room waiting for spring for install, just before ZDayZ, need info so I don't pull a "buddy" round one of the turns :ahhh:
Jinxxy .. what the heck? Hotchkis sitting in your Dining Room? I have a large box labeled Hotchkis containing springs and sways sitting in my Living Room – but I’m a single male. That’s allowed. I gave myself permission. :nana:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so:

Stiffer rear = More oversteer, higher chance of spin out

Stiffer front = More understeer, less chance of spin out

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Jinxxy .. what the heck? Hotchkis sitting in your Dining Room? I have a large box labeled Hotchkis containing springs and sways sitting in my Living Room – but I’m a single male. That’s allowed. I gave myself permission. :nana:
So you don't want to know that the volks are sitting in the dining room too--stockers on for the winter sitting in the driveway..... :yikes: Along w/ all my detailing stuff on a shelf in there and.....:hide2:

back on topic....

so what are the ideal settings for say, road courses? :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
The Hotchkis Sport Struts

Front : 3 Position Adjustable Rate Increase over stock +9%, +32%, +63%

Rear : 3 Position Adjustable Rate Increase over stock +54%, +92%, +146%

Opinions?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had them on medim front and rear for along time. Last week but front and rear on full stiff. I notice a difference, but havnt done any high speed aggressive driving yet to fully test them in downtown areas :hide2:

·
Registered
248 Posts
so what are the ideal settings for say, road courses? :shiftdrive:
Not trying to be a smart *ss, but the ideal setting is the one that works for YOU! With OEM springs, you can get away with full stiff in the rear, and full soft in front. Will get rid of all that nasty OEM understeer!

I'll suggest you try the bars on medium/medium for their 1st track day. If you don't like something about the balance, then change their settings. I last ran with my Hotchkes bars oin full soft, but I run real stiff springs.

BTW, there are actually 5 settings for each bar. They can be set on different holes left & right.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I'll suggest you try the bars on medium/medium for their 1st track day. If you don't like something about the balance, then change their settings.

+1

Jinxxy, I can help you set up your sways. When you get them on; come out and we can do a suspension tuning session.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Unfortunately the old "decrease front to induce understeer, increase rear to reduce understeer) is way too simplistic. It becomes a function of the weight split of the car (front to back as well as wheel to wheel), the contact patch, tire pressure of the tire, the rideheight of the car, the offset of the wheels, caster, camber and a whole host of other factors, and what LSD you are running (and it's settings if adjustable)

Rule #1 - do not try ANY of this stuff without having a car aligned
Rule #2 - do one change at a time

What I have found on the Z through playing with a variety of sways and 245/40/18 and 275/40/18 tires

1. front sway - the largest setting works best. Doing a front without a rear would induce understeer, however by also adding a rear (which most people do at the same time), it is balanced out. The bigger front bar improves turn in response, which is worth its weight in gold

2. rear setting - gets a bit more tricky, as it is really down to car setup. On mine, I found the Cusco rear (non adjustable) to be the perfect compliment for my driving style with the current suspension setup for my car (HKS coils, -2 degrees front camber, -1.75 rear camber, slight toe out up front, 0 toe in rear, rideheight 25.5 inches from center line of fender to ground up front, 26.5 inches in the rear, Cusco RS LSD at 1.5 way, 60% lockup. I can induce oversteer midturn with throttle, but entering the turn too hot results in slight understeer. Lifting mid throttle , so long as I did not enter too hot, settles the car nicely, and the rear does not break out as it does on a stock car. Car is extremely neutral - in fact, one of the most neutral setups I have ever driven, with the exception of my brothers old FC3S RX7.

3. My above is with both the Cusco coilovers (same rideheight settings) as well as the HKS RS coils. I found with the HKS and their softer rates, the car wanted, and loved, a bit more camber all around.

If you are ONLY driving the car on the street, honetly all this becomes moot - I cannot stress that enough. In fact, I'd prefer non adjustable sways for street driving, period...just larger than stock. Get a decent alignment, and good tires, and unless your car is slammed to the ground without travel, it will turn in much faster than stock, be very well balanced, and not get you in trouble in the rain. All the adjustability in the world is utterly useless unless you have someplace you can consistently test it out, measure, record data, and do again. That tends to be a track

Also, don't forget that hollow sways and solid sways react and induce different changes on the same car too :) I prefer as heavy a sway as I can get (personally), as it is the one area I have no problem at all adding weight

1 - 18 of 18 Posts