Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally got my Hotchkis sway bars/springs. After talking to some forum members, it has been suggested to me that collars or clamps should be used to prevent lateral movement of the bars.

So my question to you is, did you install these or did you not? The Hotchkis sway bars did not come with these collars, and I have read that in some cases, people have been told by Hotchkis that they are NOT needed. But I'd like the consensus from my fellow forum members.

Also, I found on a G35 site that the clamps can be found on the McMaster-Carr website, parts
#6436K141
#6436K146

Is this the correct info? Thanks and :yourock: I appreciate any input......

crappy phone pics but you get the idea

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I went to Home Depot and found these rubber hose clamps for around 7$. Much cheaper than the metal ones from mcmaster carr.

[attachmentid=11417][attachmentid=11418][attachmentid=11419][attachmentid=11420][attachmentid=11421]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Yeah, I'm very interested in the responses to this poll. I plan on getting the same setup, so I want to know what else I need.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Terri, Dave, and everyone else,

I went through **** and back with squeeking on my Hotchkis sways, and would rather not have anyone else on this board follow this same route. All of my issues were fixed with the McMaster-Carr collars (sorry, could not find the part numbers), and using the grease that came is supposed to come with the sways (my grease was missing, Hotchkis shipped out more to me free of charge).

Re-greasing is needed to get rid of the noise, but I have not re-greased mine in 1.5 years and they are still fine. The collars reduce the time period between re-greasing, and help with aligning the sways for optimal performance.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Terri, Dave, and everyone else,

I went through **** and back with squeeking on my Hotchkis sways, and would rather not have anyone else on this board follow this same route. All of my issues were fixed with the McMaster-Carr collars (sorry, could not find the part numbers), and using the grease that came is supposed to come with the sways (my grease was missing, Hotchkis shipped out more to me free of charge).

Re-greasing is needed to get rid of the noise, but I have not re-greased mine in 1.5 years and they are still fine. The collars reduce the time period between re-greasing, and help with aligning the sways for optimal performance.
Thanks very much! I appreciate your post!!! :wavey:

·
Registered
248 Posts
I bought the McMaster-Carr collars when I installed my Hotchkis sways a few months ago, and since we track our Z's, I highly recommend them! The hose clamp wrapped around a hunk of rubber is just too ghetto for me. :headshake:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I bought the McMaster-Carr collars when I installed my Hotchkis sways a few months ago, and since we track our Z's, I highly recommend them! The hose clamp wrapped around a hunk of rubber is just too ghetto for me. :headshake:
if you could actually see the clamps i would agree, but its kind of a "black box" mod. It is functional.

·
Registered
248 Posts
The part #'s in your 1st post are correct. You will need: 2) 6436K 141 & 2) 6436K 146 collars. With shipping, I paid about $37.00.

FWIW, 90% of my mods can't be seen. They have been done for their PERFORMANCE improvements. Since I put my life on the line whenever I track my Z, a $30.00 savings is not worth the risk. Someone once said "Anything worth doing, is worth doing RIGHT". These are the same collars that the Pro teams use on their 350EVO sway bars.

"Better safe than sorry".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Guys i have a question, i know this is kind of old but where are the collars installed, is it 4 collars for front and 4 for the rear? Are the collars installed in the inside of the bushing or out side or one collar on each side of each bushing? Thanks

·
Registered
233 Posts
Guys i have a question, i know this is kind of old but where are the collars installed, is it 4 collars for front and 4 for the rear? Are the collars installed in the inside of the bushing or out side or one collar on each side of each bushing? Thanks
No, its two for the front and two for the rear, their towards the inside of the bushing, youll see, the factory sways have something very similar.

Joe

·
Registered
58 Posts
just got my TVS on with no collars. No squeeking, no problems. I used the supplied grease.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm not sure why you would need the collars. If Hotchkis didn't include them, then they probably aren't needed. I actually think allowing lateral play may be a good idea, but I don't know for sure. Just seems to make sense after looking at the linkage. However, I do know the sway bar is only intended to effect vertical movement of the suspension.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm not sure why you would need the collars. If Hotchkis didn't include them, then they probably aren't needed. I actually think allowing lateral play may be a good idea, but I don't know for sure. Just seems to make sense after looking at the linkage. However, I do know the sway bar is only intended to effect vertical movement of the suspension.
Collars are typically used on race cars the run straight tubular ARBs. They are sometimes used on "bent" ARBs to keep them centered and prevent binding or contact with the chassis, tires, suspesnion components, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts