Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been researching ways to go acheive bigger NA numbers and I've stumbled across engine builders such as the nearby Speed Force Racing where they sell 3.7L engines ready to build without the heads, cams, etc. I haven't contacted them yet, so what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I really like the idea, and may follow this route, but consider I'm not sure I'd do this one (I'd personally go with Forged's setup). The pistons and rods used are somewhat ambiguous, they list Pauter and Aria products but then have an added price for them, be very careful with this (no point in dropping that kinda cash and not getting re-enforced components. Also, don't fall for the $4500 price tag. On top of that you'll need heads, cams, probably a stand alone ECU, and a bunch of labor. The other consideration is that 3.7 isn't particularly large, most stroked Z's run between 3.8 and 4.2L. If you're good with that though, this is a great route. For a 3.7 I'd guess probably 330-350 at the rear wheel (unless you go nuts, Nissan's race prepped 3.7 should hit about 380-390), a 4.2 is thought to be good for up to 400-420ish, at least accordign to the people I've talked with about it (no shops included). A raised compression ratio, etc would also help. Good luck.

Pat

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Its not a 37hr, its a 35de either overbored or stroked (my guess is overbored).

Pat

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Doesn't the G37 have a VQ37HR?

And is the engine going to fit? The hood's going to need to change, but who knows what else has been done to the steering, suspension etc? The steering column is apparently different when you compare revup and non-revup; this is a far bigger change than that.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
How do they already have VQ37HR motors?
moreover how have theyfabricated forged internals for them already?... There aren't many boost options yet even if they did...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting, yeah i just assumed they must mean the vq37hr rather than just a bored/stroked vq35de since they were only offering a 3.5 and 3.7 liter engine. It seems if its not the vq37hr they wouldn't just offer thoes two variants, and that they would offer a 3.8 or 4.2? You guys are probably right tho that they haven't gotten hold of the new vq37hr. What do you guys think the cost would be to get a built from scratch 3.8/4.2L engine with all the goodies aka forged internals, upgraded cams heads rods etc.? Including labor, tuning, install etc? I've read the post about "how to do twins right" but that was for going FI rather than going larger displacement. Im realling starting to want to see what is possible going NA, hopefully spending no more than 20-25k and getting close to 400 rwhp.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
John (07-350GT) and I discussed this yesterday. We came up with a roughly $20k pricelist for a 4.2L engine. Forged Performance is selling a built shortblock for about 9k, cams would be about 2k, FCON would be 3k, new heads are about 4k, other little stuff probably 3-4k, labor and tuning are probably a couple grand. So low 20's probably, maybe cheaper, it would depend on alot of choices you make. If you buy just the parts and not the built block it may be a little cheaper, I dunno. You'd probably be looking at right around 400hp.

Pat

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool thats about what i was thinking. you think a 3.9 final drive and a quaife or other LSD would be a good idea with this setup? also how high of a redline could be achieved? 7500? 8000??

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'm waiting until someone swaps in the HR, and strokes it to 3.9 or 4.0 liter. In the future, if the GT-R comes with a 3.7 or 3.8, they will definitely stroke it to 3.9 or 4.0. But in the meantime, someone should try it, and maybe even use FI on it like what the GT-R will have. VQ40 comes from the DE basically, and you could stroke it to a 4.2 and use FI on it. Everything comes down to time, and money. Personally I would just stroke the current 3.5.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You'd probably be looking at right around 400hp.

Pat
do you mean at the crank or whp? ive heard japanese tuners are all gunning for the magic 400hp mark but its unclear which they mean also...

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
My understanding is that a 4.2L engine may be able to hit 400WHP. Not sure about this, as I don't think anyone has actually done it, and I haven't talked to any shops about the work. As for swapping in a 3.7L engine, Sharif posted on the other site that it looks like it'd be a lot of work, and would be very costly.

3.9 FD gearing may be a good idea as well, but I don't know if you would be able to get the wheels to hookup with the bigger engine in the car. I know Lee had problems with them on his HKS SC Z.

High redlines are possible, if you look around Forged Performance's website, I believe they have a couple valve spring kits that allow for higher redlines. I think if you're looking to go much higher other work needs to be done as well.

~Pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hallo friends. I am going to swap vq37hr in my 2003 Nissan fairlady. I have bought engine, gearbox, ECU, bcm, key, startsop knob, dash board wiring, front wiring and engine wiring from infiniti g37 and I think I can start my car. Dose someone know if I'll need something else for this swap?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts