Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: I've a 2003. Been having nothing but problems with the handling and the suspension since I bought the car and was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. All the commercials show the track model ripping around happy as can be, jumping railroad tracks and etc. But I don't have a track model. If I hit a bump, even a small one, I go airborne. I have a friend - same year Z - he went over a draining depression in the road, went airborn and when he came down, three wheels came off his Z. anyone else out here experience anything like this - loss of control, going airborn, losing wheels? i'm talking scary stuff. and does anyone know of a Nissan fix or recall or anything? it would be a big help if i knew where to turn. my dealer has been less than helpful...he just tells me to upgrade my suspension. thanks for nothing! thanks, Z-nation. someone out there has to know something. they didn't tell me that i had to buy the track model to get the performance they show you in the tv commercials.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
[/quote]

As far as I know the suspension setup is the same on all models.

·
Registered
785 Posts
[/quote]
thats a load of bs... im sorry but that is absolutly absurd. The car performs exceptionally well im most driving scenarios, its not made to road race. Hitting a bump at 90 miles an hour might send you airborne but this isnt fast and the furious, you will come back off the ground in under a second.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I find it hard to believe that the Z could lose that many wheels from a bump unless it just had it's wheels removed and the lugnuts weren't fastened tightly.

There is nothing wrong with the suspension. I don't have problems taking curves, tight corners, or normal turns. Maybe it's user error. :dunno: Are you and your friend original owners? If not, maybe you bought a salvaged Z that got wrecked pretty badly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's what you would think. at least that's what i thought. apparantly, there is some kind of $4,000 suspension upgrade that Nissan is pushing to being their "enthusiast" cars up to snuff with the track models. i know that for the commercials, they had to bolster the suspensions with inflatable bladders or something in the rear. just don't try to drive your Z like they show you in the commercials. at least not if there is even a slight chance that you m ight hit a bump. apparantly, they're tuned/engineered for flat turns - which is great horizontal sability - but at the expense of vertical instability (hitting bumps and etc. will send the enthusiast models flying). i read in one forum that a guy lost control of his Z when he ran over a stick on the highway. another guy had to go really slow in parking lots with speed bumps because of the way the suspension is. i'm about ready to give up on this ride, to tell you the truth. thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's what you would think. i appreciate the input. all i can tell you is my experience. was doing about 75 - 80 on the highway. an expansion joint bump sent me about 10 feet with no rubber on the road. and my friend lost 3 wheels...he was doing about 80...hit the drainage depression and came down missing three wheels. it happed. i've seen the car.
[/quote]

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
[/quote]

I've never heard of such a thing :headshake: I've taken a lot of formum members for spirited runs over not so beautiful roads with no problems what so ever. I've never heard of a $4K suspension package from Nissan. If that were the case then they'ld have a **** load of 2003 owners demanding that they install it to fix the feathering issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you have a track model or an enthusiast model? and the info i got on the suspension upgrade i found on another forum. and when i complained to my dealer about the suspension on mine, he asked me if i'd consider a suspension upgrade, but i didn't pursue it. i think overall it's one of the coolest cars i've ever owned or seen. but i'm having problems, my buddy is missing three wheels and a guy i work with mentioned just yesterday that his Z scares the **** out of him because the back end is so squirrely. it may just be an isolated problem. and i don't think it's "user error." my friend who lost the three wheels was a performance driving instructor. his description is chilling. just tooling along at 80 (confirmed by police report), hits a small depression in the road, and 25 feet later he lands with one wheel still on the car. it happened. i just don't want it to happen to me. or to you.
[/quote]

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Wow this is one crazy thread. I have never heard of a single member complain of such things on any of the boards. There also is no $4000 suspension upgrade from Nissan nor does a track model have different suspension than any of the other models. Losing control over sticks in the highway, speed bums causing things to happen, wheels falling off, going ariborne is all new news to any of us here. Not trying to knock you or anything but it sounds like some bs to me or you are hitting speed bumps at 40 or jumping hills at over 100

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
I've got a Touring Roadster & the guys that I've been running around with have from Base - Track models. Never had any kind of issue like you are describing. Even while on the track (Mid-Ohio). I've ridden in an all of them from one time or another & never had a problem. If the suspension would be an issue the track would be the first place it would show up IMHO. Unlimited speeds wicked tight turns - would spell disaster if there was a problem like you're describing.

I tend to travel at a bit of an excessive speed on the hi-way & have never felt like the backend was going to come around or let lose at any time. Sounds like you may have an isolated incident.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Okay, I guess I'm going to have to do it. I call :bs: and :bsflag:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's what i was hoping - something isolated. also, my buddy who lost the wheels did have aftermarket wheels. though it wasn't installation issues because he'd had them on there for years. i know the car in the famous run commercial also had aftermarket wheels (Rays), but that may be the problem. as for not hearing of this, there's a post in the lounge from a guy who lost his back end this morning going to work. i haven't heard a lot of this, but i know two guys besides me with Z's and they've both had problems - 1 major, 1 minor. And i'm experiencing the same thing. And there's a class action suit against Nissan for the suspension contributing to premature tire wear and wheel damage. so there has to be something going on somewhere...and maybe it's isolated to specific modesl which is why i was wondering if there was a difference in the suspension between the enthusiast and the track model. you guys have been a big help - actually eased my mind a bit. except for the defensive idiots who seem to need some kind of self validation on their car purchases and don't want to hear that there might be something wrong with these cars...lol. that makes sense though. i figure 80% of the people who buy this car are in it for the styling and the performance. the other 20% have small dicks...lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tell you what...you call my buddy who almost got killed because his wheels fell off and tell HIM it's BS...lol.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Folks tend to have problems with the backend sliding on them due to wet pavement & such when they turn the TCS off. As far as the Class Action Suit that's out there, it's for the feathering issue that I mentioned earlier. Due to the alignment being set aggressively the inside of the FRONT tires ware uneavenly & make the car sound like a semi at low speeds.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Some of the '03 models had what you might call a "bouncy" suspension that was an annoyance on uneven surfaces (expansion joints, etc)...but nothing like you describe. Losing control of the car because you hit a stick in the road is just plain ludicrous...sounds more like someone is just abusing the car.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Hmmm...defensive idiots? I think your approach to the matter was all wrong. The way I see, here's a new guy who posts about a problem no one here has ever heard of, then makes claims that it's a design flaw, then makes it sound like none of us know what we are talking about or want to admit to anything, and makes statements in the posts that show you don't know much about the differences in each trim or about the wheels.

I found myself skeptical of your claims and wondered what you were really getting at. Especially since the issue of tire feathering and front end alignment have been beaten into the ground for the past 2 years. You'd think that someone who bought the Z would've done the research and known about those issues. I also think that if your friend had aftermarket wheels, then Nissan wouldn't service the car suspension issues - probably because the wheel size conflicted with what was recommended and they might have been cracked or of low quality anyway.

Let's not start a war of words here, especially since some of us have been part of the Z community for a long time and know quite a bit about different aspects of the Z and all related issues. It's one thing to come in here and ask a lot of newbie questions, it's another when a newbie comes in guns ablazing and starts making ludicrous claims and insults some owners.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
BTW, I have an 03 Touring with stock wheels. I've hit major debris on the freeway, plus we have a lot of potholes and expansion joints that are unavoidable. Never had a problem, probably because I know how to drive.

I've driven the car aggresively, both with VDC on and off, and there has never been a slight problem with me controlling the Z. Not even close.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts