Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on tweaking my suspension over the winter on my Roadster.
I'd like to know what would be the best coilover or spring/shock combo would be for me to run with.
Not tooo worried about the price, just need to know which direction to go. I do know that the spring rate is different for the roadster than the coupe, so I know that this must be covered as well.
Please list your choice, price (if known) & reason for your decision.

Thanks!
B

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
well, first you might want to browse the Coilover page:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Coilovers

i am in the same position as you right now.. from what i have learned, alot of the coilovers are setup for track driving and are pretty rough on the street.

The obvious exceptions are the HKS LS and LS+ and Tein CS.

Another note is to find out what you can have rebuilt either locally or at least in the states. Some of the JDM coilovers may not be serviceable in the states.

for myself, i am considering the Tein Basic or Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC 1

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Zeal.

~$2800

don't know about spring rate differences.. what is the oem difference between coupe and roadster?

Reason is because there is nothing else out there that is going to out perform for the money. They are a work of art. Best suspension I've personally seen. And I have other $$$$$$ coilovers on my other cars.

The dampening is what makes it. And for me the 10/8 springs are perfect for street and track.

ZEAL can be rebuilt at Endless USA in Ca. Excellent customer support. I needed another spanner wrench and one bolt for my Endless brake kit. They overnighted the freakin bolt from Japan. I had both parts in hand within 3 days.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
well, first you might want to browse the Coilover page:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Coilovers

i am in the same position as you right now.. from what i have learned, alot of the coilovers are setup for track driving and are pretty rough on the street.

The obvious exceptions are the HKS LS and LS+ and Tein CS.

Another note is to find out what you can have rebuilt either locally or at least in the states. Some of the JDM coilovers may not be serviceable in the states.

for myself, i am considering the Tein Basic or Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC 1

Looking at that page.. the only thing I would put up there with Zeal/Endless is Aragosta, Ohlins, Esprit and maybe the HKS.

Esprit and Central 20 would both need to be sent to Japan for fixin'.

I'm guessing Aragosta is ~ $4500+ , similar with the Ohlins. <- With either of those, you may not like driving them on the street.

http://www.aragosta-suspension.com/operation.html <-- Aragosta, contact = Belgium

Ohlins doesn't even have a Z app listed. http://ohlins.com/car_product_guide_road_and_track.shtml

I had a guy (James Chen? Akron OH) ride in my Z with me. He had Cusco's on his Z. He said the Zeal felt much better. I was shocked a bit as I considered the Cusco Ti. before purchasing the Zeal.

If I were to do it again, and not be able to choose Zeal. I would go with the HKS hipermaxII ( I don't know if they relocate the spring or not.. pics seem like they do)

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
For less than 2800 you could get the Tein Flex or Tein CS with the EFDC (EDFC?)

I understand the concept of wanting the best of the best.. but is a 1000$ price premium worth the braggin rights? That is up to you to decide.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts

I understand the concept of wanting the best of the best.. but is a 1000$ price premium worth the braggin rights? That is up to you to decide.
I had the first generation Tien Flex w/edfc and lower spring rates...even on the highest/softest dampening setting the ride was rough. Plus, there was a clunking issue Tein fixed in the 2nd generation but told 1st gen owners to eat dirt, pony up some cash for the fix or buy the 2nd gen suspension. Good Customer service goes a long way in my book, and Tien didn't show me any.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts

It's not about bragging rights.. It's about performance, Toykilla.

To compare Tein to Zeal is a joke.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I had the first generation Tien Flex w/edfc and lower spring rates...even on the highest/softest dampening setting the ride was rough. Plus, there was a clunking issue Tein fixed in the 2nd generation but told 1st gen owners to eat dirt, pony up some cash for the fix or buy the 2nd gen suspension. Good Customer service goes a long way in my book, and Tien didn't show me any.

:cheers: People often forget that service & serviceability are part of the price you pay....the $$ isn't always all up front. Think about that, esp. on big ticket items....

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Thanks for the info guys :yourock:

Looks like I'm gonna have to put away some of my favorite $$$'s to fix the suspension.
Hmmmm - $2800 for Zeal's & $1500 or so for the 350Evo Upper Control & Camber arms.

I'd hold off on those Upper Control and Camber arms until you deem you need them.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
1K is a lot of money.. if you are not a hard core tracker you would not notice a 1k difference in performance... Just my opinion and I am sure others will say I am wrong.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I've been given a great offer on JICs. How do they compare to the Zeals?

Looks like I could have at least a 1K savings by going to JIC.

thoughts?

Did you read that link that kshep posted?

Jic's collars freezing up and falling apart in less than one year. And the Z33 app wasn't the first I read about that. For me the knowledge dates back about 2.5 years on another forum.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
1K is a lot of money.. if you are not a hard core tracker you would not notice a 1k difference in performance... Just my opinion and I am sure others will say I am wrong.

Sure you would.. Just driving it around on the streets you'd notice. Cheap suspension is just that. You are going to have to worry about more frequent rebuilds due to the less quality dampening. Couple that with spring rates that are way too hard to begin with , and you'll rattle your brain loose.

You aren't wrong, and you are most certainly entitled to your opinion. I sit in cars all day long... and without even asking what suspension is on it, you can already feel the cheapness. But if you get into a car that is either setup right or has the right parts, you can't help but notice.

You will feel and notice suspension every time you drive your Z. It's not just for the hardcore track guys. Your car rides around on springs and dampners.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
I am perfectly happy with stock shocks and Eibach springs.. so do you think the Tanabe Sustec coilovers would feel better or worse?

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm - What's the differnce between:

Zeal V6 Coilover Kit (2,800), the Zeal Function -V6 Swift Coilover (3,055) & the JIC FLT-A2 Coilovers are in the same ball park (by most vendors pricing)

I'm not against spending the $$$'s to have great feel & all. I'm just a :newbie: in this part of modification. :werd:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Hmmm - What's the differnce between:

Zeal V6 Coilover Kit (2,800), the Zeal Function -V6 Swift Coilover (3,055) & the JIC FLT-A2 Coilovers are in the same ball park (by most vendors pricing)

I'm not against spending the $$$'s to have great feel & all. I'm just a :newbie: in this part of modification. :werd:
Why not read the comparisons in the link I posted above and find out?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts