Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my little 04 from the dealer slightly used, with a sunroof installed as a dealer option when it was originally purchased. I've noticed that since my move to California, the warmer it is outside, the more difficult it is to open. It sounds as if the roof is getting torn from my Z. In the morning, with a chill in the air, it's fine. But as the day warms, it gets worse. Any ideas as to why or if this is covered under warranty? (she has 16k on her and I purchased the extended warranty if that helps)

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Sunroofs were never a dealer option at all, ever-- as far as I know..... I think you have an aftermarket sunroof. I would venture to guess that it's the molding that is expanding with the heat. This will not be covered under warranty unless the sunroof itself is covered under it's own warranty, and you will need the original papers for that.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Webasto is the only company I know of that makes sunroofs for the Z. It might have their name on the sunroof or something. I'm guessing it has a cloth part that you pull forward and the controls are by the sunroof?

My guess is the dealer never installed the sunroof, but perhaps the previous owner did. I remember when I was shopping for my Z, my dealer had one on the lot with the Webasto roof. :werd:

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I never heard of sunroofs being installed by nissan. I notice in your sig you have a Webasto Hellania 300 Sunroof, i'm guessing this is something you bought and had the dealership installed? If so it won't be covered under your car warranty, but may be covered if you got a seperate warranty from the installer or manufacturer.

As for the problem, it may be weather stripping heating up and becoming sticky? How hot of temperatures are we talking about until you start having this problem?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
IMO, this car should not have a sunroof. Your car is screaming pain. :cry:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Have you ever seen one Dave? I've thought about getting one myself, but they're pricey and if I got one I would want it to be much bigger than it is. They're pretty small.

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
the webasto sunroof looks awesome on the car. only problem...when it's open...i hate how it sticks out over the back of the car. i like when they go into the roof. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Then I might be getting bad information. The dealer I purchased the car from (I-5 Automart, Mount Vernon, WA) stated the sunroof was purchased at the time of sale with the car. I questioned the warranty from the dealer as was told that it would be covered. I'm just curious as to if anyone with another vehicle with a sunroof ever experience any of this?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your dealer probably had it installed once the car was on their lot. Since it is an aftermarket install, your dealer may warrant it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe it just needs some lubrication.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Have you ever seen one Dave? I've thought about getting one myself, but they're pricey and if I got one I would want it to be much bigger than it is. They're pretty small.
If Hollandia (who supply roofs for all Euro cars) come out with a sunroof for the Z, id definitely be interested, ive never heard of webasto

Re the size, thats the largest it can be as there is a metal reinforcement beam running across the roof about half way bw the rear window and windscreen header. And they cant cut into that for structural reasons.....however removing a rectangle of 3-5 millimetre thick sheetmetal wont have any effect on torsion rigidity

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
vasaline LOL!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts