Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I saw an SB with a sunroof. We passed it while it was in a left only lane so I didn't get too much of a chance to look at it, but it seemed pretty cool. I wish I had been able to get a pic.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
We wants it.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<span style="color:darkblue">Yeah, I'm eventually going to do the targa thing. There was a thread a while back on the other forum about getting people together for a group deal on them. I think it was at Newport Convertible (but I could be wrong). He dude said the more Zs that signed on, the cheaper that cost would be. He said it was something like $7k if two Zs sign up.

Here's the thread</span>

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Jun 16 2004, 10:28 AM
<span style="color:darkblue">Yeah, I'm eventually going to do the targa thing.  There was a thread a while back on the other forum about getting people together for a group deal on them.  I think it was at Newport Convertible (but I could be wrong).  He dude said the more Zs that signed on, the cheaper that cost would be.  He said it was something like $7k if two Zs sign up.

Here's the thread</span>

You're right DiRN. The problem was it cost too much, the guy was just trying to get money off of his install, and found out that the deal would (and did) fall through without a prototype. I'm sure there is SOMEONE that will do it on their own and pay the cost just for a prototype, someone should make a deal with the company, do it for free, and if you don't get enough customers after that, then I will pay all of mine, I think that would work.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, that's who I was talking about a couple of posts ago. They had told the guy from the other site that it was $7000 if there were two cars. I don't know what they'd charge for one. And this isn't something I want to be the guinea pig for. Performance mods, yes. Structural mods, no.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
See, I'm not so concerned about that since there is a convertible version of the car. And so long as appropriate reinforcement is added, removed a portion of the top shouldn't be a problem. It's just that, like I said, I don't want to be the test subject.

·
Registered
806 Posts
>>See, I'm not so concerned about that since there is a convertible version of the car. And so long as appropriate reinforcement is added, removed a portion of the top shouldn't be a problem. It's just that, like I said, I don't want to be the test subject.

You'd have to be worried about the A-pillars (the metal portion that holds the front windshield). Convertibles have these designed so that if the car were to land upside down, they wouldn't collapse. I doubt the coupe Zs have that much reinforcement. If you were to use the pillars off of the convertible and weld them on, you'd still lose some strength.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I think that if you made it into a targa, you make a rollbar that goes down the a-pillars and across the top of the windshield, I am going to do the roll bars anyway, but I think that would work for support for the targa

·
Premium Member
5,137 Posts
a stock sunroof would look pretty good. not too sure about the targa though. the roadster would have looked better as a hardtop version like the Kompressors have though.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Sunroof install will run just under 1000. I'm seriously considering it.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's really not bad at all. If I didn't want a targa so bad, I'd consider it too

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Ah, the 5-year leak...

Leave the roof. Buy the Roadster. That's an extra 7-10 g's...for a car designed to go t0pless.

Nearly every older t-top, sunroof car I've spent 'quality time' with has had issues with leaks & squeaks.

& unlike other mods, that chunk outta the roof won't go back on without seerious bondo...We re roofed a 71 SS Chevelle a fewyears back. You couldn't even tell...for the 1st two yrs.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts