Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of making a project out of opening my HID Headlights & smoking out the amber strip. I've seen several different "how-to's" on doing this but I wanted to get some feedback from those who have done so:

1) Were you successful in getting them open & closed back properly following the "how-to's" posted here?

2) Were there any side effects (rainbowing, leaking, melting of plastic, etc.) from opening the headlight via the "oven method"?

3) Is extra adhesive needed to properly seal the headlights back up?

If the Headlight Opening Experts could chime in with their experiences (pre, during, & post) with this, I would feel much better opening them up soon!

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I think most people are successful, I just havent had the kahunas to stick mine in the oven yet. No matter how successful these people are, it's still a bit unnerving. :helpsmilie:

·
Premium Member
5,627 Posts
We've done this to mine... well, we opened the housing to swap white reflectors (like the JDM white sidemarkers) for the amber strips. It's not difficult, but you must take your time... very tedious. Just follow the DIY posted here...
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61841

Also, be sure you get a complete, strong seal when it goes back together. One of my lenses was not completely sealed and I occasionally get some fogging on the inside of the headlight. I can fix it, just been too lazy to take the lens back apart and reseal it again.

Here is a pic of the finished product on my Brick...
[attachmentid=9249]

Attachments

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
Originally posted by Solo2k5@Jul 14 2005, 01:27 PM
I'm thinking of making a project out of opening my HID Headlights & smoking out the amber strip. I've seen several different "how-to's" on doing this but I wanted to get some feedback from those who have done so:

1) Were you successful in getting them open & closed back properly following the "how-to's" posted here?

2) Were there any side effects (rainbowing, leaking, melting of plastic, etc.) from opening the headlight via the "oven method"?

3) Is extra adhesive needed to properly seal the headlights back up?

If the Headlight Opening Experts could chime in with their experiences (pre, during, & post) with this, I would feel much better opening them up soon!
[snapback]131836[/snapback]​

PM Dave079 He opened mine up & sent the ambers to Toykilla.
Wife said no to putting my headlights in her new oven :xZ!o:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, you guys are awesome! I posted the same question over in another forum at this same time as this one & I have 0 replies so far compared to here! :clap:

So I guess this lead me to two more questions:

1) What sealant should be used to close the headlight back up.

2) Is an electric oven ok to use? I live in an apartment & don't have a gas stove.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
The my350z.com link said to use black silicone to close it up.

I live in an apartment and have an electric oven also. I'm sure it would be fine, but I'm also curious about the answer to the question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I think I'm going to go with the heat gun method. It may be more tedious, but at least I'll have more control over the heating process. Something about watching $400-$500 headlights bake in an oven gives me nightmares! :OMG:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Solo2k5, can you post links to any tutorials you have found?

I'm going to be doing mine in the oven still and I wanted to read up as much as I could.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by StudyBuddy@Jul 14 2005, 01:03 PM
Solo2k5, can you post links to any tutorials you have found?

I'm going to be doing mine in the oven still and I wanted to read up as much as I could.

Thanks!
[snapback]131932[/snapback]​

Here is one I found for using the oven method. Nicely detailed from bumper removal to finish:

http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37752

Let me know how it goes if you do the oven method anytime soon!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and put my headlights under the knife this weekend...I'll post up some pics after I get done with 'em. :shiftdrive:

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 15 2005, 12:14 PM
Well good luck post pics up after up after you are finished! :clap:
[snapback]132378[/snapback]​

+1! I'd love to see how they turn out!

I'll have to wait until next week to do mine.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jul 15 2005, 01:12 PM
Buddy I am scuuuuuuuuured to do mine myself :ahhh:
[snapback]132425[/snapback]​

I don't see what there is to be scared about. Let's say you don't seal it right. Okay, you have to take it back off the car, put it in the oven again, and seal it again. No biggie really.

I'm pretty good at little DIY's like this, so I'm not really worried about it.

I'm going to spray my amber strip with niteshades and clear coat like Josh did to Buff's headlights too. That looked really awesome on the SB.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Originally posted by StudyBuddy+Jul 15 2005, 02:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-jinxxycat
@Jul 15 2005, 01:12 PM
Buddy I am scuuuuuuuuured to do mine myself :ahhh:
[snapback]132425[/snapback]​

I don't see what there is to be scared about. Let's say you don't seal it right. Okay, you have to take it back off the car, put it in the oven again, and seal it again. No biggie really.

I'm pretty good at little DIY's like this, so I'm not really worried about it.

I'm going to spray my amber strip with niteshades and clear coat like Josh did to Buff's headlights too. That looked really awesome on the SB.
[snapback]132454[/snapback]​

nothing to be scurred of ? cooking headlights? meow, chicken here :ahhh: meow...

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
I'm guessing Buddy's never seen the after pictures of anyone who left their headlights in too long

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Originally posted by DiRN@Jul 15 2005, 01:51 PM
I'm guessing Buddy's never seen the after pictures of anyone who left their headlights in too long
[snapback]132510[/snapback]​

Has this happpened to anyone?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts