Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking to upgrade the audio system in our 2006 Z. It's the enthusiast version with the stock (non-Bose) sound system. Keep in mind we're not audiophiles so we don't require super high-end components. Just decent sound quality.

We're thinking about an Ipod-compatible head unit from either Alpine or Pioneer, an amplifier, decent front component speakers, disconnecting the rear speakers and going with a "modest" subwoofer. We don't need bass that can be felt 50 yards away.

From searching through related audio posts I'm getting the feeling that subwoofers require an enclosure to be of any benefit. I've done some searching on the internet and it seems the vast majority of subwoofer enclosures are configured such that they take take up a lot of valuable real estate in the hatchback area. We don't want to sacrifice this area as it was one of the major factors for us choosing a Z over the S2000. We want to be able to take a trip out of town and have room for some luggage and we want to be able to both hit the grocery store to stock up on stuff.

I know some people seem to recommend putting a subwoofer in the blank spot behind the driver's seat. But I haven't seen any mention of a subwoofer enclosure that fits in that spot.

So my question is.....

What are our options for and enclosed subwoofer that sounds halway decent and doesn't sacrifice much real estate?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Heinz

·
Registered
19 Posts
If you do not need a '50 yards BOOM' this might be a solution.

Get two high quality 6.5 inch component speaker sets, use one whole set in the doors and put only the woofers in the rear. No big BOOM, but enough quality low.

When I saw the space behind the sub, it looked like it would facilitate the fitment of the same type of box that is on the passenger side.

Onno

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tips/suggestions folks.

eTraxx I really like your solution but I just don't have the time and resources to devote to a task like that. I spend enough time as it is maintaining two motorcycles. I wish there was a similar commercial "off-the-shelf" version of your setup available.

As it stands I'm leaning towards purchasing the glove box enclosure from wickedcas and have it installed but that opens up another can of worms... finding a good installer in the Fort Worth area.

Thanks all,

Heinz

·
Registered
68 Posts
We're looking to upgrade the audio system in our 2006 Z. It's the enthusiast version with the stock (non-Bose) sound system. Keep in mind we're not audiophiles so we don't require super high-end components. Just decent sound quality.

We're thinking about an Ipod-compatible head unit from either Alpine or Pioneer, an amplifier, decent front component speakers, disconnecting the rear speakers and going with a "modest" subwoofer. We don't need bass that can be felt 50 yards away.

From searching through related audio posts I'm getting the feeling that subwoofers require an enclosure to be of any benefit. I've done some searching on the internet and it seems the vast majority of subwoofer enclosures are configured such that they take take up a lot of valuable real estate in the hatchback area. We don't want to sacrifice this area as it was one of the major factors for us choosing a Z over the S2000. We want to be able to take a trip out of town and have room for some luggage and we want to be able to both hit the grocery store to stock up on stuff.

I know some people seem to recommend putting a subwoofer in the blank spot behind the driver's seat. But I haven't seen any mention of a subwoofer enclosure that fits in that spot.

So my question is.....

What are our options for and enclosed subwoofer that sounds halway decent and doesn't sacrifice much real estate?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Heinz

wickedcas.com sells enclosured designed for behind the driver's seat and also have a box designed to fit in the drivers side trunk. You can also try a Zenclosures sub box designed to go under the rear strut which can be set-up to house 1 2 or 3 subwoofers. Just my 2c

·
Registered
655 Posts
You can get an Infinity Basslink that will fit in the cubby behind the drivers seat. However, you really need to take things apart to get it to fit in there. I bought a Basslink and 2 installers near my house couldn't/wouldn't install it. One tried and then gave-up. The other didn't even want to attempt it. :lame:

I ended up going with a strutbar enclosure. It slides right out if I really need to remove it for luggage (ha!). But I actually like that it seperates the hatch into 2 spaces because things don't really fly all over the place when I put them back there now. My gym bag doesn't move at all.

Here's me:

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts